Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 29er gear ratios 2×10
  • slugrider
    Free Member

I bought a 29er in the dark last night (one of my better ideas). i got a few quid off ad the front mech was very stiff which i put down to it being sat a while and gammy cables.

this mornjng, leaving forvwork i clicked that the front rings are 22 and 44. is this usual as it seems a little much to ask the mech and chain to me?

what ratios do the fine people of single track reccomend for a 29er newbie? using it for xc racing but im not yet a strong climber so would pike the gears to help me there.

cheers!

njee20
    Free Member

24/36 would be a reasonable compromise.

clubber
    Free Member

What he said. 22/44 is a very big jump for a double.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theotherjonv

22-44 – I’m pretty sure won’t work. A double mech has a 14T capacity as far as I’m aware, a triple of course will take that difference but only with something in between. I can’t see how you’d get it to jump 22T in one shift with any reproducibility / durability, sounds like a chain waiting to snap for me.

On a 29er, I’d go straight for a double chainset and mech, do it right first time and go for probably 24/36. Or, you could stay with a triple set up but leave the outer unused (or put a bash on to stop you losing the chain over the top) and then even go 22/32 or 22/34.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Dont see why u’d go for 24/36 this is only 12T

Sram do 26/39 or 28/42. This is 13T or 14T difference.

why cant they do 26/40 as this would seem to make alot of sense.

I’ve got a 28/42 on my 29er but I have fast tyre and only tend to use it in summer.

ac282

Dont see why u’d go for 24/36 this is only 12T

Because 36-11 is a high enough gear for XC racing and would mean that you don’t have to front shift as often

theotherjonv

Yes, you could get 24/38 on shimano too.

My reasoning is that on a 36T front and a 29er, I found i was staying in the outer for most riding and used the inner for steep climbs and as a bailout. 38 would be just that bit taller and would see me changing the front more often. I never seem to run out of gear at the top end so 36-11 vs 38-11 is no benefit.

FWIW, I have 26/38 on my 26er but the difference in wheel size means they are actually pretty similar. And in any case my 29er is a single front set up now (30, halfway between 24 and 36, although did have a 32T for some time and that was OK too)

st

My 29″ came with a 24/38 double and while I was sceptical I stuck with it and it’s been great, I find myself using the outer ring almost excluisively and it’s been pretty good as it seems to help me to keep a slightly faster pace than I might have done before.

I’ve got to the point where I’m questioning keeping the granny ring although if I did go to a single ring set up I guess I’d drop to a 36t ring.

Coincidentally I’ve got a double ring set up taken of some 2 rind Deore cranks that are unused and available if you;re looking to change. Email in profile if you’re interested and I’ll check the rind sizes.

pipiom
    Free Member

38/22 on Trance and Tallboy (i specced this)did try a few weeks only using big ring…. worked ok even on gnarly Manx climbs but chain and cassette don’t last long ( we were beasting it a bit) so back to both rings and this ratio is great on our varied terrain

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘29er gear ratios 2×10’ is closed to new replies.