Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 29er full suspension …my cherry is well and truly popped
  • Naranjada
    Free Member

Here’s a brief ‘review’ of my experiences yesterday as I spent a few hours in the sun doing loops from Marple’s Roman Lakes on North West Mountain Bikes’ demo fleet of 29er full suspension bikes from Santa Cruz, Orange & Specialized.

We rode some familiar trails, nothing technical in either up or down direction but a fairly representative slice of the majority of Peak riding.

Orange 5 29″:
    A very smooth and competent performer, climbs well and descends well too. It has a Maxle rear end, 142×12 probably. I had forgotten how noisy an Orange can be, I don’t know why Orange don’t wrap the chainstays on their demo bikes. A simple, fun, clean looking bike.

Santa Cruz Tallboy – carbon:
    Lovely rear suspension, pedalled very well and exhibited a playful persona. For example, having jumped off the Orange onto the SC and exerted about the same effort to manual a few potholes I nearly flipped the SC …short rear end, short front end, firmer suspension? Probably the steepest head angle of all of the bikes ridden but it didn’t feel particuarly steep and I’m used to riding around with ~67 degrees on 26″ wheels.

Specialized Camber 29er – alloy:
    Didn’t feel much different to the Tallboy except the wheels felt a bit heavy so it didn’t feel perticularly lively. It was plush and descended very well. With lighter wheels it’d be very competent and a big chunk cheaper than a Tallboy.

Overall:
    I was impressed by all of the bikes’ climbing prowess, they all seemed fun and fast going up and along and totally stable and engaging on the way down. At no point did I feel as though the trail had been neutralized or steam-rollered, in fact in comparison to my own bike they all, bar the Spesh, felt more ‘fun’ and a little flighty in general use. All of the bikes felt short for their size, which was nice as that’s what I’m used to and is what I like.

I think I’d be hard pushed to choose between the Orange and the SC.

The Orange prototype was an 18″ frame (they will be shipped with 17″ or 19″) and both SC and Spesh were size L.

So, they’re all great mountain bikes and felt appreciably different to 26″ wheeled bikes. I suspect that they are faster point to point. I liked riding all of them very much and if money were no object I’d have one. I’d happily have one as my only bike as I feel that they exhibit some advantages over 26″ but with no disadvantages that I could discern. But I really would like to try a slacker model, like the Transition Bandit 29er.

When I got back on my own bike to ride back it felt slack, like it had too much travel & heavy …OMG what have I done?!

Paceman
    Free Member

Interesting, also having a similar dilemma.

A couple of questions… How tall are you? and what travel forks were the Orange and SC running up front?

wrecker
    Free Member

What bike do you ride at the moment?

Naranjada
    Free Member

@Paceman: I’m 6’2″. I think 100mm up front on both SC & Orange.

@Wrecker
    : Nicolia Helius AM …I’m over-biked 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

Cheers Naranjada

I demo’ed a Large Tallboy a couple of weeks ago with 100mm up front, liked it alot but felt 120mm up front might work better for me (head angle felt very steep). I’m also 5’10” and feel a bit stuck between sizes (M&L). Going to try a few other full-suss 29ers before I decide whether to take the plunge.

Paceman

dday

In process of building up a Trans Bandit 29. Il’l let you know how I get on..

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks, interesting reading

Paceman
    Free Member

Is the Orange 5 29er available now? If so where from? Would love to demo one. 😀

Ringo
    Free Member

My bandit coming this week woohoo

Naranjada
    Free Member

@Paceman: I think the first batch of 50, all black and gold apparently, are sold out (to dealers) and will be in the shops in the next week or two.

The one I rode was a green painted prototype, it looked really nice in the metal. I don’t think that I’d like it in black ‘n gold.

Maybe Orange have a demo day list page on their website? Either way they’re only a phone call away!

Naranjada
    Free Member

@dday: I would be very interested to hear how you get on with the Bandit 29er, cheers.

dday

Well, promised an update on this, built up the Bandit 29er 3 weeks ago. Frame, fork and wheelset came from Kustom bikes (Somerset), very helpful they were too, and the rest comes from CRC/Wiggle. Its basically a full XT spec, 2×10 drivetrain.

I’ve been riding 29ers for the last 3 years, so no surprises there, but its my first full susser, so that’s taken a bit of getting used too. Given the 140 front and 130 rear travel, I am very pleased with its climbing abilities.The short stem makes it feel at bit cramped, but I’m getting used to it before making any changes. It really does well uphill, and I have managed to climb all my local surrey hills ‘nasties’ without concern. I’m used to riding single speed, and even getting out the saddle and mashing it, it behaves impeccably. Downhill its certainly is faster than my hardtail, its a point and shoot bike. I am still getting to grips with the rear shock, gradually upping the pressure, it feels a bit soggy, but given my inexperience on FS bikes, this might just be an transition (sorry :)) phase. Overall, very pleased, it’s fast and fun, and I think it looks the business. Long weekend in Wales coming up will give it a good test. My only complaint would be the ZTR Crests, getting the tires mounted was a bugger, hopefully the tubeless setup will mean I don’t have to go through that for the rest of the season. (Pic was taken before cable trimming, so excuse the birds nest up front!)
    [/url] IMG_0627 by davidpday[/img]

IA

Nice, what size is that? Looks quite short?*

What bike are you coming off?

*disclaimer, I’m very tall.

dday

It’s a ‘Large’, 5’10” – 6’2″, and I also ride an on-one inbred 29er of similar size (see respective web sites for frame geo’s) I’m 5’9, and it feels right. I may lengthen the stem, but even then, it would be a case of a few mm.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Nice bike fella- what does it weigh?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘29er full suspension …my cherry is well and truly popped’ is closed to new replies.