Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 29er front tyre (allround conditions)
  • duckers
    Free Member

Recommendations for dry/damper conditions on hard-pack or slightly wet trails, fast cross country style riding. I generally don’t ride in deep filth. Something nice and light but reasonably hard wearing as I do around 5,000+ miles a year.
    I’ve been using Schwalbe Ralph/Ron’s for the past few years but fancy trying something different as they’re pretty fragile and not that puncture resistant.

chakaping
    Free Member

Specialized Butcher Control is my personal choice for what you describe.

Or does that look meatier than you’re after?

Kryton57

I have a Hutchinson toro hardskin RR 2.35 which has been a revelation. Fast, easy tubeless – in fact it stayed up at 30psi 24hrs after the first pump up without sealant in – fast and grip. Not ridden it in the dry yet but in everything else it’s been good.

mattjg
    Free Member

I use a Spesh Purgatory Control 2.3. The Butcher is good too, definitely grippier, but a bit draggier. If you’re all about the downs, go Butcher, if you need to get miles in, look at Purgatory.

They go up very easily on Stans rims, which is a bonus for me.

tomlevell

Bonty XR4.

Or the XR3 but not so hot in mud but may suit your distance/weight/mud avoidance requirements. I’ve ran one happily for most of the year but couldn’t cope in proper mud.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Big fan of XR4s, but only used them in 26″ flavour. One review I read said they weren’t as good on 29ers for some reason. Also worth bearing in mind the difference of running tubes and going tubeless in the Bonty tyres was night and day. Don’t know if its the same with all tyres, but losing the tubes was a revelation.

Got a Butcher and Purg combo for my new 29er build. They look proper meaty.

Stoner
    Free Member

been using ralphs and rons for the last few years. See no reason to change. Currently on rons all year round. Tubeless, weigh nothing.

brant
    Free Member

Smorgasbord

StuE
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of Hutchinson Toros but they are too tight to fit my Stans Crest rims

benji
    Free Member

Nobby Nic in the winter, and Ron in the summer.

ska-49
    Free Member

I use a Spesh Purgatory Control 2.3. The Butcher is good too, definitely grippier, but a bit draggier. If you’re all about the downs, go Butcher, if you need to get miles in, look at Purgatory.

They go up very easily on Stans rims, which is a bonus for me.

My exact experience. Spesh Purgatory is my favourite all round 29er tyre.

jobro
    Free Member

Have used Rons front and rear for a couple of years now. Grip on the back, using what is really a race tyre, is quite amazing. I have got up stuff none of our group have done in the past.
    Recently, however, I have been a bit concerned with the Rons on the front as it gets a bit wetter. They seem to fall over somehow when they come across an edge or rut. So have changed to Nic. Rear is still fine though.
    Have only had one issue with fragility of Rons and that was a brand new 26″ Ron which split along about 12″ of sidewall after a flint slice. The rest of the time (Dartmoor,Exmoor Q’s ) they have been robust and puncture free (running tubeless)

medoramas
    Free Member

Another vote for Butcher Control! I’ve done more than 5000 km on it and it’s still going strong.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘29er front tyre (allround conditions)’ is closed to new replies.