Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • 29er front rubber help!
  • sheepshifter
    Free Member

Front end washed out on 3 occasions lost all confidence in carrying speed in to corners. What would you recommended , I’m using a 2.3 nobby nic great in mud , very sketchy on dust and dry loamy surfaces. Cheers folks.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Honey Badger?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you want a gravity tyre or an xc one? Most things are better than nn how about an ardent for rolling /grip balance.

Also look at the reasons for the let go and why it’s unsettled you. I lost a hrii quite a few times today, it was a combination of the terrain and pushing too hard but came out of it rubber side down and smiling.

mdavids
    Free Member

I’ve been really impressed with the WTB bronson (tubeless) that came on the front of my Whyte T129. I’d always used high roller up front on my previous bike and assumed I’d be swapping the bronson out straight away but I’ve found it really confidence inspiring.

shortyj15

You might hate me for this but 2 things that may help:
    1. Lower tyre pressure
    2. Technique

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I did not get on with the Bronsons on my 29er, so changed to Hans Dampf, which are really good! No complaints with them at all.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That been said nn’s are shit.

roverpig

Hans Dampf in trailstar compound seems to work well. Goes nicely with a nobby nic in pacestar on the rear.

ventana_craig
    Free Member

Would also recommend Hans Dampf. Used them in all conditions tubeless. They are a gravity oriented tyre. I mostly do enduro riding, doing a long xc run on them would be a drag. One on the front and an ardent on the back would be a good combo for mixed xc / enduro riding.

sheepshifter
    Free Member

Cheers for replies , I think my technical ability may be struggling at the moment each of my forearms ache like f…, and don’t even go there . Nobby nics just seem to be hit and miss work fine on my Bfe , to the rear I’m limited poor clearance on the Works T129 , I use a ground control fab tyre.

fatharrywhite
    Free Member

Specialized Butcher works well on the front

Shackleton

Conti rubber queen/trail king 2.2. Still the magic tyre (big volume, fast rolling and grippy) for me outside of needing a mud set up.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Not ridden on these yet but get good reviews and were cheap on Acycles
    Hutchinson toro, also bought the squale for £19 as a winter front. Will see if they are any good over the next few weeks.

Kryton57

I hav a hutchnson toro hard skin rr up front. It’s awesome in the same conditions the op describes.

sillyoldman

My favourites are:-
    Conti Trail King Black Chilli
    Maxxis High Roller 3C 2.3
    Maxxis Shorty
    Bontrager 29-4
    Looking forward to Conti Der Kaiser 2.4 – due out soon.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Kryton, what are you running on the rear, I bought a pair.

Kryton57

Rocket Ron performance.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for the Bronson, great all round tyre for the British summer fast and grippy in the dry but not as one dimensional as say a SB8. I swap between those and purgatory’s for the winter (another allrounder for the opposite conditions, good in the mud but grippy enough on hardpack).

kimbers

Chunky monkey ! Cheap, grippy thoughthough they do come up heay

lee170
    Free Member

Spesh butcher are pretty decent front tyres, confidence inspiring and way cheaper then maxxis or schwalbe.

icarus
    Free Member

+1 for Chunky Monkey,bit heavy but great all rounder,or how about a Purgatory?,works great on my Stanton Sherpa matched to Ground control on the rear.

jonny-m
    Free Member

I’ve just changed to conti x king with a race king on the rear, protection version
    Miles better than the schwalbes I used to use. Comes up a bit narrower for a 2.2 but they do a 2.4, can’t reconmend them enough tbh

eshershore
    Free Member

Specialized Control Purgatory 2.2″

great tire for all round use, especially tubeless running Stan’s solution

steve_b77
    Free Member

Bonty XR3 or if it’s drier XR2

onlysteel
    Free Member

Liking Bonty 29er tyres: XR4/3 combo here.

freddiest

On my 2014 t-129s I run a hans dampf trail star. All round grip really good and the high volume seems to add a bit more suspension to the front over the rough stuff. Rolls fine on the front too. Ardent 2.25 fits in the rear fine and I like the combo.

nuke

+1 for Hans Dampf although i run Pacestar for a bit more longevity given tales of nobblies getting torn off on Trailstar

fizik
    Free Member

On one chunky monkey, awesome front tyre on a 29er. Goes up tubeless no problem too.

trusty

Check your Rebound settings too, I had the same feeling (on a 29er hr2 as well) but slowing the Rebound helped.

npunshon
    Free Member

NN’s are not great but much better run the other way round, better rolling, better grip and even better in mud. If you want a super grippy front continental rubber Queen / trail king with black chilli is an excellent choice.

bowglie

If your technique is ok and you want more grip, I’d definately get that NN off the front. I guess it depends where you’re riding and conditions etc., but based on personal experience, as others have mentioned the High Roller 2 in the decent 3c compound or Hans Dampf in Trailstar are both excellent. Personally for more aggressive cornering in trail centres, I prefer the squarer edge of the HR2, but on natural trails, the HD is great – only problem I’ve had with HD’s is the base of edge knobs getting torn (according to LBS, this was a problem that Schwalbe have largely sorted on latest production)

One of my favourite tyres at the moment is my Mavic Charge – its tread is almost identical to a HR2, but the compound is even grip pier. I’ve deliberately tried to provoke front end drifts out of it, but it sticks like s**t to a blanket – it’s also very nicely damped, noticeably more than the HR2, which is still good! Only problem with the Charge is the extra rolling resistance – but this is only really apparent on Tarmac or smooth hard packed trails, and it can be negated to some extent by fitting a fast rolling rear, like an Ikon, Ardent Race or Racing Raplh (I’ve used the latter combo in the Alps, and only wished for a bit much more rear end grip on the super steep slow bits – 90% of the time, it was a good combo).

HTH

cooie

+ 1 more for Hans Dampf.

pipiom
    Free Member

Toros for me, 2.35f and 2.1r…….all year…..roots,rocks,slop, dusty gritty stuff, the lot….great tyres and 750/730gr

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘29er front rubber help!’ is closed to new replies.