Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 29er frame help
  • dan_seed
    Free Member

After building a 29er inbred single speed i am sold on the 29er idea and have now convinced myself that I do not need the 26er FS.

So I am looking for a 29er frame that I will run with front suspension and gears.

I would like something that is pretty light but still tough and something that is comfortable enough to ride/ race all day. Also must suit a 6ft 100kg chap!

Was originally thinking of sticking with the On One theme and going for a scandal but wanted to see what other options are out there.

What do you think?

Stoner
    Free Member

loved my scandal – amazingly compliant.
    Only hanging on the wall now as I got a Ti29

hepstanton

Have a look at the Niner stuff. Geared alloy and steel frames. Chevin Cycles now stocking both them and On One.

the00
    Free Member

I'm v happy with my Scandal too, not much competition that I can see at the same price, unless you'd be tempted by a GF full-build off the peg. A Ragley 29er might be interesting…

roach

Love my Scandal 29er with Rebas. Feels as comfy as any steel hardtail I've had and I've had a few.

dan_seed
    Free Member

budget is a good question……£199 looks appealing for the scandal but might be convinced to part with more cash if a much better frame appears……

Certainly leaning towards the scandal right now though.

oddjob
    Free Member

Love my Salsa Mamasita (I prefer the black one that I have to the new red too)

Salsa

Clink

Banshee (Mythic in UK) Paradox. I've got an On-one ti 29er which I run ss & rigid – highly recommended. Just ordered the Paradox to run geared with sus to compliment it. Couple of guys on here love theirs http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=556306.

bonesetter
    Free Member

You doing XC racing? If so I wouldn't throw out the FS option. 3" can be well nice for all-dayers and you can still have yourself a racer and a capable race bike. eg Niner's JET9

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Scandal gets my vote, love mine

martinh
    Free Member

For racing the Scandal, Marmasita or Niner Air 9 are great choices. It's a shame the Scandal isn't Scandium anymore.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kona Unit would be perfect, wow! I have a mint one for sale!

Sam

A Singular could be worth looking at as well. The Scandals are hard to beat for the money though. But I think they are no longer scandium? Don't know whether this has meant a significant change in ride quality.

dan_seed
    Free Member

I have done a couple of longer XC races (maybe enduros is a better name) and fancy doing some more next year. Hence I think I need some thing on the lighter side but still all day comfy.

I do like the look of the Swift. How are they with gears and suspension? How would it compare weight wise to a scandal?

Sam, what is the deal with stock? when are you due some? What size would you recommend for 6ft male with a 34 inside leg?

dan_seed
    Free Member

After doing some more research I have also been looking at the Salsa Dos Niner.

Anyone got one?

I see there were problems with the shock, standover height and tyre clearance in the early models…..all sorted now?

FivebarG
    Free Member

I can run my Swift as a fully rigid SS

or geared with front suspension.

Cleaning is also optional…… ;0)

69er
    Free Member

As a fellow Unit owner, I'd recommend cynic_al's very shiny 19" Kona frame.

(No, I don't know him, it's just a very nice bike) 😉

bigsi
    Free Member

FivebarG – What cable stop are you running on the seat tube ?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘29er frame help’ is closed to new replies.