Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 29er Fork puzzle ?
  • jimreeves
    Free Member

Hi, I’m having real trouble finding an up grade to the stock coil forked on my 29er specialized carve comp.
    I need a 29er fork (obviously)
    A tapered steerer tube
    and quick release drop outs
    I have a budget of £350
    I’m really struggling to find a fork that has all the above, there are plenty of forks with a straight steerer tube but finding a tapered on with QR drop outs is proving almost impossible.
    Any help/ideas much appreciated
    Cheers guys Jim

jimreeves
    Free Member

Brilliant, Mr Tall, I spent ages looking at chain reaction, couldn’t see the wood for the trees, that’s my Xmas present sorted, many thanks

MrTall
    Free Member

No worries.

If you use Quidco (or similar) you’ll get another 3% off.

andyl
    Free Member

you don’t need a tapered fork.

As you have found out QRs forks are more likely to have straight steerers. Tapered forks larger axles to make the most of the stiffer platform.

belugabob
    Free Member
    mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Personally I would buy the wheels first that are compatible for hub changes and then buy a taperered steerer fork that has a maxle that way you are not limiting yourself as far as fork purchase is concerned

Have a look at superstar components for a set of stans/superstar hubs

jimreeves
    Free Member

Thanks for your replys, I heard lots of good stuff about the Manitou Tower Pro, but I’m struggling to find a tapered 29er qr version? I see your point about the wheels, but I’m quite happy with the ones on the bike currently, the only thing that lets it down is the coil fork which bottoms out in puddles, i have considered changing the coils and it is also possible for sram to convert the fork to air, but I’d rather upgrade it completely. Definitely sold on a Reba or a Manitou Tower if I can find one. I know you can get a reducer for the headset to fit a straight fork, but this does feel like a bit of a faff and a compromise. Thanks again for the help.
    Jim

SimonR

How about a Suntour Epicon and spend the remainder of your budget on a new front wheel and lower race adapter?

The reviews look pretty good!

STATO
    Free Member

On-one have a few 29er forks to choose from, and id echo the comment above that you dont actually ‘need’ a tapered steerer, a standard straight one will fit with a change to the crown race. Might open some options to you.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘29er Fork puzzle ?’ is closed to new replies.