Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 29er fork on 26er frame?
  • fridge
    Free Member

Just contemplating a new fork and wondering what the issues would be going for a 29er fork and using it on my 26er frame in the short term? Logic being that I like my 69er and will possibly move to a ‘proper’ 29er in the future so I’d have a suitable fork.

Like the look of the Magura forks and the axle to crown lengths suggest I might loose a bit of travel when run on a 26er but otherwise am I missing something?

Cheers

brant
    Free Member

A 29er fork with a 26in wheel would work. A 29in wheel is like 35mm taller than a 26in wheel and will kick things back a lot. So I wouldn’t do that.

But I would really just use the right sort of fork for your frame. It’s generally best.

fridge
    Free Member

Thanks Brant, don’t buy forks very often, the last pair I bought came with an inbred when you were doing deals with early fox forx; 1998 perhaps, still going strong.

Sounds like it might work as a stop-gap.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Like the look of the Magura forks and the axle to crown lengths suggest I might loose a bit of travel when run on a 26er but otherwise am I missing something?

Why would you lose a bit of travel ?

takisawa2

Rake is slightly different (I think) but one of the nicest frame & fork combos I rode was a std 2nd gen Inbred with a On-One carbon 29er fork, & the reason was same as you in that I had a move to 29er in the pipeline.

fridge
    Free Member

Why would you lose a bit of travel ?

Just thinking aloud; frame would take 120-140 in 26″ so longer 29er fork to accommodate bigger wheel, perhaps I’d lose a bit of travel so as not to and up jacking the front up too far…?

No biggy, sounds like I wouldn’t die!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘29er fork on 26er frame?’ is closed to new replies.