Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • 29er fork for 1/2 fat bike
  • lipseal
    Free Member

Can I use a CroMoto Grande 29’er fork on my mmmbop with a large Marge and Endomorph fitted?

singlespeedstu

No.

You need either a Surly Pugsley fork or a Salsa Enabler Fork.

lipseal
    Free Member

Poo

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve seen an endo on a 50mm rim in a bonty switchblade fork

coastkid
    Free Member

There tyres are huge! 😮

harvest cycle 001 by coastkid71, on Flickr

epicyclo

This is how much room a fatbike tyre takes up.

It’s not even fully extended – this was with a narrow rim. With a proper rim the tyre is 10mm wider. 🙂

lipseal
    Free Member

Bang goes that idea then, was hoping that it would work seeing that I have a Grande 29’er fork looking at me on the shelf.

epicyclo

Build your own fork free.

A real bodge but it works

Or sell the Grande fork and buy a Surly or Salsa fatwheel fork for about £90

lipseal
    Free Member

Like that epicyclo, but I’m thinking that a 1/2 fat won’t work that good due to the thinner tyre at the back?

firestarter
    Free Member

found the pic, 47mm holm rim endo tyre and bonty switchblade forks

lipseal
    Free Member

firestarter do you have any links for rim and tyre pls.

firestarter
    Free Member

kris holm rims are avail from unicycle uk and its a normal surly endomorph tyre mate , try billys bmx for that

links here actually

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycle-spares-1/rims/26-kris-holm-rim-2009.html/
    http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=tysu-endomorph

lipseal
    Free Member

Cheers

firestarter
    Free Member

no worries 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh no…someone has fat tyres in stock…I may have to purchase.

I take it Endomorphs are not the best on the front though?

lipseal
    Free Member

Just found these.. RIM …sorry for being thick but do I still need a 135 hub or can I use a normal front one with me fork using your set up firestarter?

firestarter
    Free Member

lipseal the one above isnt mine its from mtbr but you would be using a normal 100mm front hub for it mate

edit.. on another thread ssstu advised to use a rear trials rim on a fat bike rather than a front one

lipseal
    Free Member

SO..I guess the wider the rim is, the wider the tyre will be and might struggle to get the set up in the fork? I really could do with a borrow before I commit.

firestarter
    Free Member

from what ive read there isnt a huge difference in widths between 47mm and 65mm rims but i spread about 10mm extra on a 80/100mm rim

i think coastkid had the measurements iirc

cynic-al
    Free Member

Measurements went up on one of the many recent fat bike threads.

lipseal
    Free Member

Goes off to look…. :mrgreen:

lipseal
    Free Member

Ok so been looking at other posts and I have a halo combat full wheel and the rim width is ment to be 36mm. So I’m guessing that I can fit a Larry or an endo on that? Just need to check the fork now and get the ruler out.

firestarter
    Free Member

lipseal i knocked this together yesterday its a chubby semiskimmed fat bike lol

lipseal
    Free Member

Been tying to find some 3″ tyres, but there like hens teeth!

firestarter
    Free Member

yeah they are i struck lucky with these 😉 you can get duro 3″ tyres from unicycle uk

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycle-spares-1/tyres/duro-wildlife-leopard-26-x-3-tyre.html/

cynic-al
    Free Member

someone linked to one on a trials shop on th can’t afford thread IIRC

coastkid
    Free Member

epicyclo did the measurements of the 4″ tyres on different rim widths,

Been swaying on adding a fat rim 26″ wheelset to the collection for my KM too,making it ridable on the beach for friends or may just get the 50mm Speedway cycles rims and run the 2.55 WTBs for a bit more float,

Think i mentioned it already but the Vredestein Black Panther 3.0 tyres are big fat xc tyres and really light- but not sold here in the UK, maybe could get them sent from Germany or Holland? 😮

Sell what you can and indulge in some full fat 4″ F&R :mrgreen:

lipseal
    Free Member

Forgot to mention, firestarter nice build!

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers mate, I’m in half a mind to buy an enabler fork and fat wheel with a thicker rim out back but then I’d be afraid I’d like it too much and want fulfat and would have wasted money on this project . Decisions decisions lol

singlespeedstu

Mick.

Stop fannying around and just buy a fat bike. 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

If I had the cash I would mate but I think I’d have to sell too much to make the numbers work

lipseal
    Free Member

+1 firestarter

cynic-al
    Free Member

just looked on bike24, none of those 3″ Black Panthers. will look a bit harder once I get on a pc.

epicyclo

I’ve just ordered a set of Chris Holm 29er rims 47mm wide. It’ll be interesting to see how wide a fat 29er tyre will go on those.

May even approach the same flotation as a fatwheel.

What’s the fattest 29er tyre available? Racing Ralph 2.4?

firestarter
    Free Member

I think so epi the weirwolf 2.55 are quite narrow. I’ve been thinking similar but can’t get the little thought in the back of my mind out of it that says get 26 wide ones built for your fat bike (that I can’t afford at all lol)

coastkid
    Free Member

WTB 2.55 spread the widest on 47/50mm 29er rims,
    faster on regular trails than pugs etc but not as good on real soft stuff…so ive read anyway 😮
    my 29er has these tyres on 37mm Halos and its alot more comfy than the 2.25 Ardents i had fitted previously..
    will be putting 50mm speedway rims on the 29er soon and it will be a good halfway house between full fat and regular MTB 😮

stevemakin

am I right in thinking that the rim width is more important than the stated tyre width on these bikes ?, just starting to experiment with a 3 inch front and 2.5 back but on standard Mavic 317 rims for a pleasantly plump bike before the inevitable spend on a Pugsley 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

that seems to be the case Steve, maybe you’ve seen my other post re. 2.3 tyres on 70mm rims becoming2.9 wide (not much more to it than that, it was from a thread on mtbr re. raleigh xxix)

the whole thing confuses me 😕

stevemakin

hmm, yes I saw that and have spent all afternoon on MTBR as well, looks like the front tyre is more important as well, I’m seriously intrigued by these bikes (in am fact trying to talk Chipps into getting me one to test 😉

but for now I’m happy to play around with tyre and rim sizes 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

At the moment I’ve got an Endo with a Koxx rim (46mm) and a Pug non-offest fork up front, paired with a 2.8 Michelin tyre on a 37mm rim at the back of a 456.

It’s actually really nice but can’t comment on float as there hasn’t been deep snow since I built it 😥

I really can’t make up my mind whether to go for the full fat as per those ^^ as I think the difference may be too small to justify the extra cost but if it can be combined as an easy swap to 29’er and I can get rid of 2 other frames……………….

I may have a lead on a new steel frame but don’t expect to hear anything until after Christmas…….. 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘29er fork for 1/2 fat bike’ is closed to new replies.