Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 29er for my Mrs.
  • dahedd
    Free Member

Morning boys & girls.

After a family meander to the local Loch on Sunday the Mrs has commented on how much easier it was on my 29er Stumpie vs my older 26″ that she rides when we go out. Other than complaining that its too light.

So given she’s never off fire rds, old railway or designated cycling paths I’d probably go for a hard tail. Am I better looking at a gents bike for her as opposed to a ladies bike? I know for a while ladies bikes were over priced & under specced vs the comparable gents versions.

Answers on a post card please folks.

johnw1984
    Free Member

The Women’s bikes being overpriced/under specced was true a few years ago, but it looks like they’re pretty equal now.

Then again, I suppose it depends on what price range you’re looking at really.

Most of the differences are in the contact points and frame sizes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not really such a thing as a ladies bike these days aside from grips, bars and saddle. Just get something that fits properly and budget for a saddle swap.

vondally
    Free Member

Fit of the bike is all important, daughters and partner have tried women’s designed bikes and none liked them.

Height is a factor on 29er, my partner his 5ft 3 and has no issues riding her 29 we but it took a lot of stems and faffing to get it correct.

Lots of nice steel frames out there but height of the rider with clearance is the place to start

Tracey

Give her the Stumpy and treat yourself to a new one.

dickie
    Free Member

Buy her the Turner Czar on the classifieds, assuming she fits a medium, & you do 😉

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I built my gf one of those On-one Parkwoods. I can’t tell really tell you what she thought of it because she only rode it three times and then got preggars. Not sure if the two are connected LOL

gerti
    Free Member

Hard to go wrong with the Pinnacle Ramin for value for money IMO.

matt_outandabout

Fit is all important IMO. Mrs_OAB sat on a couple of bikes, and just didn’t get on with the feel of them. We then had a proper measuring session at the Trek dealer, who (rightly) suggested an XS frame with saddle pushed back.

Fits. Like. A. Glove.

Being an XS womens Trek it is a)27.5″ and b) pink 🙄

It is light, and flighty, but more floaty and heavier than her old Cannondale.

mrs_OAB’s weenie Trek actually came with significantly better spec than the mens – uplifted brakes and forks.

london_lady
    Free Member

Niner EMD – happy with mine

dahedd
    Free Member

Tracey, I did suggest that, it didn’t go down very well. If looks could kill etc 😆

Gerti, Funnily enough I was just looking at the Ramin on the Evans web site.

I find myself coming back to this Trek. Its simple and would do what she needs, ie fire road & basic trail centre stuff, shes not a huge fan of the tight rooty singletrack and I`ll dount i’ll ever convince her other wise.

https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-cali-s-2017-womens-mountain-bike-EV280953

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I know it’s not a 29er, but no hardtail comes close to the spec of this 27.5er for £350…

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/laura-trott-mtb-1-womens-moutain-bike

Some say the NX cassette creates its own gravity field, but it can easily be replaced with another 11-speed SRAM cassette when it wears, but that Raidon fork; hydraulic disc brakes; an entry to 1×11 is incredible in these post-silly-referendum times.

dahedd
    Free Member

I saw that one NoBody, all sold out in her size. Off to Aviemore next week, she’ll just have to struggle round Rothiemurchus on my old full sus.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘29er for my Mrs.’ is closed to new replies.