Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 29er for Enduro
  • hcooper97
    Free Member

I have my eyes in a trek Slash 9.8, also demoed a trek fuel to get a feel for a 29″ bike, which I liked. Currently on a 27.5 don’t know if I want to make the jump to a 29er. Anyone else made the jump from 27.5 to 29?

tom.nash

Tracey Mosley, Katy Winton, Mark Scott… Pretty good at the EWS. Chris Ball won Tweedlove King and Queen of the Hill on a Tallboy…

Never ridden one but about to get a Hightower… 😆

Northwind

Nah but I went 26 to 29. (I should say, I’m not a good enduro racer, IIRC I was 250th out of about 270 in elite men at the ews round I did… Though, that was on 26, I’m sure I’d gain about 200 places with my better rollover and kashima coatings and that)

And yeah, really like it. I had a BMC Trailfox 29 which is pretty well proven on the world level, but which I didn’t totally get on with, now I’ve got a Remedy 29 which people insist is more a trailbike than enduro bike, despite it being the most succesful enduro race bike ever made…

And it’s good. It’s fast, it grips, but the main thing for me is it’s just less tiring– by the end of a sustained stage I’m barely hanging on but with the clown whels that comes later and not so bad, so I’m riding better to the end. That’s a ridiculously massive difference, we’re not talking .01 seconds over a root or something, but big chunks of time, just by staying stronger and tidier and more committed (and sometimes more upright). Everything is just that little bit less effort and less thought and it keeps me fresher and in the right sort of zone without ever really feeling all that different from one moment to the next. And overall, it just suits my riding style really well.

OK, so I went 29er mostly out of petulance at the whole 650b bullshit, I figured if I got a new bike I wanted to be able to tell that it had bigger wheels without reading the labels. But it’s worked out.

@Tom, add to that Francois Bailly-Maittre, Lewis Buchanan, Greg Callaghan, Curtis Keene sometimes… I think Katy’s been more often on the 650b slash though?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I’m a 29er fan, rode my mates 650b Nomad bling machine and it really accelerates well compared to my 29er Enduro. He is faster on tight singletrack but on rocky uneven big stuff he was cursing my line choice as I was sailing over everything whilst his bb and chain ring took a hammering as he followed me. He also bitches on the climbs as the big wheels roll better and he likes the pace backed off a bit.

Northwind

<double #enduropost>

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Buy the bike you like, and rides well. Wheel size is only a part of the equation.

oldnpastit

I figured if I got a new bike I wanted to be able to tell that it had bigger wheels without reading the labels.

🙂

sharkattack

now I’ve got a Remedy 29 which people insist is more a trailbike than enduro bike

Can you ask these people what the difference is? Because I have no idea.

hcooper97
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I like the Slash might a as well stick with it

tom200

^^^^^^that!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘29er for Enduro’ is closed to new replies.