• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by akak.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 29er equivalent of a Conti Baron 2.3?
  • Shackleton

For some reason Conti don’t make the 2.3 Baron in 29er size. I loved it in 26er size as the best tyre for natural Scottish riding during 10 months of the year. Grippy on my terrain and rolled well.

Any other options out there for a non-xc 29er tyre for soft/wet/loose riding? So far I have on the candidate list:

Schwalbe Magic Mary
    Maxxis Beaver 2.25
    WTB Vigilante
    Specialized Butcher

Can anybody compare these to the Baron for wet and soft performance?

Cheers,

P

Paceman
    Free Member

29er Schwalbe Hans Dampf’s are fantastic, might be just what you’re looking for – 29×2.35 Trailstar version up front, Pacestar on the rear. Pick ’em up at a good price on the online German bike shop sites.

If you’re on a budget the On-One Chunky Monkey is worth a look to at less than £20 each.

chiefgrooveguru

Magic Mary. I was disappointed at the lack of 27.5 Barons but the MM is brilliant! It’s better than the Baron at everything apart from serious mud but it’s still good at that. Butcher is better than the Baron in the dry but not as good in the wet. I’ve been running the MM up front with a Trail King Protection 2.2 out back, they complement each other really well.

toons
    Free Member

The Magic Mary is a quality front tyre.

Northwind

Not been as impressed by the Mary as the Baron in 26 but sometimes the different size flatters one design over an other. It’s a good tyre though- loses out badly to the Baron on roots and wet rocks but otherwise excellent.

akak
    Free Member

There are new barons coming out soon but I don’t know if they are race only and if they will do 29…

Shackleton

Is that a rumour or fact? Could be exactly the news I’m wanting!

toons
    Free Member
    scottfitz
    Free Member

Saw the new baron at the mega looks good!

Shackleton

Hmm, but will there be a “trail” version rather than the 1kg “enduro/DH lite/whatever” version.

Fingers crossed.

akak
    Free Member

The bike that toons posted was at QECP, parked right next to me. I asked if the tyre would be race only or for normal riders and they confirmed the latter. Doesn’t mean it won’t be 1kg though as if you scale up the 800g 26in tyre you’d be around that anyway. I know it isn’t production but to me the knobs look too widely spaced.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘29er equivalent of a Conti Baron 2.3?’ is closed to new replies.