Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 29er downhill.. why not?
  • scud
    Free Member

Didn’t Intense plough quite a bit of investment money into trying to develop a 29er DH bike before giving up?

rootes1

think we soo much suspension on DH bikes the benefits of bigger wheels are pretty void

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    emanuel
    Free Member

there’s that niner bloke and somebody from norco(I think it’s norco),over on pinkbike,it’s a recent article,read it yesterday.
    as usual there’s some pretty good comments in the comments section.

Northwind

I was thinking about this a while back… As a s**t downhiller, I think I’d get a lot of benefit from it, on a fast lumpy course like fort william. But those irritating people who can actually ride a bike, they skim over the lumps that I steam into.

emanuel
    Free Member

6″ and finesse,or 8″ and plough?most girls I’ve asked say the important thing is to know how ride a bike with technique…

markenduro
    Free Member

It would end in tears, exploding wheels and dead pandas.
    Apart form that, I reckon it would be pretty good on open fast courses but you would probably need to be built like Peaty for the tight and twisty stuff where you generally have to put a bit more effort into turning them in.
    There is some pretty decent long travel (130mm+) 29er stuff coming to the market at the moment so things might start to change over the next few years.

singlespeedstu

Didn’t Intense plough quite a bit of investment money into trying to develop a 29er DH bike

I think you might find they just knocked up two frames to play around on. 😆

bigsi
    Free Member

Brendon Fairclough stated that he expects a 29er to win a DH World Cup race in the next few years…. and when it does he’ll quit 😯

Don’t let the door smack you on the arse on your way out Brendog 🙄 😆

I can see it working on the type of course Peaty won the world title on out in Australia which was open & not as technical as say Champery which is ultra tight & technical!

Sancho
    Free Member

+1 Brendan

emanuel
    Free Member

aye,but sancho was on the mule,while don Q was on a horse.
    like 26″ and 29ers innit.just equine.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Walt works is a small frame builder who made a DH 29er a long time ago.

In that blog post he was lementing not being included in Bike Rumours coverage of the same topic….

cookeaa

I think a 29er will have advantages on certain courses but not all of them you could well see riders adopting the big wheels for one course and then back to 26″ for the next.

That will lead to calls for banning them no doubt but what I reckon would be better would be compelling riders to state one size of wheel for the entire season and have it noted on their licence. It would mean riders and their sponsors would need to be confident in their choice of 26 or 29 before the season started…

muckytee
    Free Member

there’s that niner bloke and somebody from norco(I think it’s norco),over on pinkbike,it’s a recent article,read it yesterday.
    as usual there’s some pretty good comments in the comments section.

I read that article yesterday too

Pinkbike

martinxyz
    Free Member

When i wrote “why not?” The answer to the question was already explained by the female bear! ;O) I didnt question the possibilities of the 29er winning a DH race for one moment (at the time) but wouldnt be surprised if one did.

devs
    Free Member

29ers will win on some courses eventually, I mean the bigger wheels are an advantage aren’t they? You don’t see anyone debating the use of 20″ wheels do you? They would be really strong and “chuckable”.

cookeaa

People may not go in for 20″ but 24″ have been tried for DH and 4x. Still not a benefit ultimately but there you go.

munkyboy
    Free Member

Trek have a prototype kicking around too

Rickos
    Free Member

Brendon Fairclough stated that he expects a 29er to win a DH World Cup race in the next few years…. and when it does he’ll quit

It was Rob Warner that said a 29er will win a World Cup race. Brendan then replied “When that happens I’m out of it!” Or words to that effect.

EDIT – just checked Warners Twitter – Ade (below) is right, he just said a 29 front wheel, not full on 29er.

adeward
    Free Member

They only said a bike with a 29 front wheel

Rickos
    Free Member

How about Pietermaritzberg with that loooong pedally section? Can’t see them being any good at Champery though!

tomaso
    Free Member

If we can get some oldskool downhill action instead of these modern courses then yeah :mrgreen:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wJjZ34ZQl0[/video]
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBWgfEu_oVI&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLD01BCA619719EDE5[/video]
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFxL8yQakrk[/video]

cookeaa

I think what you need to remember in this debate is that wheel size is one variable amongst many that could affect race performance in DH and its not without its tradeoffs.

Don’t forget either that the thing has to suit it’s rider it’s one thing to plop peaty on a 29er quite a different thing to put Danny Hart on one, very different builds and riding styles.

Yes one will win a race eventually, assuming it doesn’t go the way of the skinsuit…. but are 29ers overall “better” for DH racng? not a clue the reference data/annecdotes are pretty scarce right now…

legend
    Free Member

How about Pietermaritzberg with the biggest huck on the circuit?

ftfy 😉

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Watching today’s champs on catchup and I’m sure one of the riders just completed a run with a 29er rear wheel and 26er front… can’t see the sense in that though? Anyone comment?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘29er downhill.. why not?’ is closed to new replies.