Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 29er commute/city tyres?
  • steveoath
    Free Member

Anyone recommend a set of tyres for my SS29er bike for my commute to work?

I’ve been eyeing up Schwalbe Fat Franks (not found too much info on them tho’ – thoughts?).

ste_t
    Free Member

Running schwalbe big apples (2.0) on my 29er at the minute, love them. Roll fast, grip like road tyres in the road, but haven’t killed me yet despite taking grassy shortcuts and bouncing up/down kerbs (cycle paths up my way are primarily on the pavement.)

steveoath
    Free Member

How are they in the wet?

ste_t
    Free Member

Brilliant thus far, big contact patch so very grippy. Won’t be as fast as skinny tyres, but very comfy. The fat franks look very similar so should be just as good.

cynic-al
    Free Member

any 700c tyre will work, no need IMO for anything wider than say 38c unless you have panniers on or are heavy.

MoreCashThanDash

I was impressed by the cheap Schwalbe Road Cruisers that came on my Kona Dew – 700 x 35, got about 4000 miles out of them with no punctures.

snipswhispers
    Free Member

re: commuting tyres, my preference is for a conti. 700×47 on the rear and a 2.1 vulpine 29er up front (£14-99 from jejames cycles).

i prefer the wider tyre up front for grip and shock absorbtion…you want the rear to lose grip first rather than the front.

you are likely be more comfy and faster on the wider tyres as rolling resistance decreases as you go wider (tho. at what point this is negated by aerodynamics i dont know). one for the boffins?

best of luck.

oxym0r0n

rolling resistance decreases as you go wider

igm

Was out on Big Apple 29ers tonight – mad fun tyres.

Take some spinning up but once up to speed crash, through anything, grip to anything (within reason)

nedrapier

got the fat franks (in cream, obvs) and they’re great fun, really relaxed and comfy. I got some annoying toe overlap, though, and they’re also pretty heavy.

I saved a pound a wheel by swapping out for folding Vittorio Randonneur Hyper 35c. No overlap that I notice, and still pretty comfy.

Keeping the Fat Franks for occasional tarting about, though!

cynic-al
    Free Member

you are likely be more comfy and faster on the wider tyres as rolling resistance decreases as you go wider (tho. at what point this is negated by aerodynamics i dont know). one for the boffins?

best of luck.

A long, long way from 29ers and big apples!

oxym0r0n

True story.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/bicycle-tires-puncturing-the-myths-29245/

Yeah I read that too – it doesn’t simplify into

rolling resistance decreases as you go wider

Though 🙄

rootes1

commuting..

key is that they roll okish and are very puncture resistant – not point have ‘fast’ tyres if you have to keep stopping to fix punctures..

As note I had a go on some big apples, and like the ads say they roll very nicely –

if it were my choice.. some like Schwalbe Marathon Racer in 35 width

also useful as they have reflective sidewalls

steveoath
    Free Member

Dumb follow up question. If I was to put on 700x35c tyres what tubes do i need? I assume 29er tubes won’t fit?

faint
    Free Member

smart sam front/ marathon rear
    used to use smart sam on the rear but found the tread worn quite quickly and it also picked up small stones which caused punctures.
    both 35c, on a 12 mile each way commute, road, farm tracks and bridleway

thomthumb
    Free Member

If I was to put on 700x35c tyres what tubes do i need?

er.

700x35c tubes.

miketually
    Free Member

The answer to “What city tyres?” is usually “Schwalbe Marathon”.

nedrapier

thomthumb – Member

er.

700x35c tubes.

26″ mtb tubes work fine in mine. Not the “right” ones obviously and probably heavier, but they work.

rootes1

Once that covers the size of tyre you have:

e.g.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26727

and pick the 700 x 28-47 size

Deveron53
    Free Member

To dissent a little here. ..
    Bontrager Xr0 with ghetto tubeless – fast, light, bit of tread for ‘short-cuts’ and the puncture protection of fluid. I survived all last summer on them with a 16 mile round trip on mixed paths, tracks etc. 1000 miles, no punctures.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘29er commute/city tyres?’ is closed to new replies.