Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 29er Codeine owners – You all happy?
  • sandwicheater

With your frames that is?

Need a frame quick and this ticks most of my boxes.

Care to share your views?

fizik
    Free Member

Very happy with mine, it could do with being a bit longer in the top tube and being stealth compatible but other than that it’s great. Climbs on the techy stuff really well, feels nice and poppy & playful and very stable on the downs, it has a very low bb. Everyone who has ridden mine has given it alot of praise.

I have had mine for over a year and apart from some issues with the monarch shock I have had no issues, bearings etc all still original.

ahwiles
    Free Member

yup.

top-tube length (or reach, whatever) is ok for me, but i’m a bit long-legged for my height. I can see why someone more ‘normal’ might end up with a 70mm stem on it – which really wouldn’t be a catastrophe.

It’s not light, although ‘reassuringly sturdy’ might be a better way of putting it. Seems very tidily welded too.

i’m a clueless gimp, and i can persuade it to manual and bunnyhop without drama – it just feels right to me.

sandwicheater

i’m a clueless gimp

Also my riding style, handy.

Frame and pike for £1050 seems like a great deal.

Cheers guys. May throw my leg over one this weekend in their show room.

skellnonch
    Free Member

Makes me grin every time I get on it, I call it the monster truck, had it coming up for nearly 2 years now – still love it

mrhoppy

I liked mine while I had it (it got stolen). Personally i think the TT is a bit short and I think the top tube should have been dropped more.

In the UK it was great, very quick compared to my other bikes and jumped remarkably well given the shoddy rider onboard. It felt less well suited when I took it to the Alps, really steep tight stuff started to make it feel less sure-footed. Not bad but not great and in its defence ID only put one or two rides on it before we went so it was very much learning how it rode.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Well i love mine. I’m 5’11 on a medium and it fits like a glove and is far far better than the 26′ Yeti 575 it replaced.

msb1
    Free Member

I agree with the other Codeine owners. It’s not bling, but it’s a great bike.

crispy1980
    Free Member

I had one ( also stolen) and did love it. I am 6 ft dead and went for a medium. Was fine everywhere but felt a little cramped on climbs. Would have liked to have ridden a large fir comparison. I’m thinking of replacing with another when my insurance money arrives. Not much else with tgat spec for that money

stevie750

Does anyone run 38mm offset forks instead of the recommended 51.

How does it ride with them?

sandwicheater

Sorry to drag this on guys, anyone run 140 & 150 forks?

Can get some Pikes for £400 in 150 guise or £480 in 140. Big difference?

Most of my riding is in the Calder valley so steep climbs.

woodster

I ran mine with 160/130 DPA Pikes and now 150 MP Stage, both with a 1 degree angleset. Feels spot on at 150 and climbs really well.

cp

Anyone long legged about 6ft on a large?

sandwicheater

My bro in law is 6’2 ish and has the large. That’s what’s got me thinking about this as a replacement frame as i’m similar height but all legs.

Cheers woodster, for £80 saving, 150mm it is me thinks.

benman
    Free Member

I was looking at Codeines a few weeks back, but ended up getting a Stumpy Evo 29er from Bikescene for £650 instead. Longer T/T and reach. Running with 150mm Pikes up front.

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Specialized-Stumpjumper-FSR-Comp-Evo-29-Frame-10833-92-0.html

ahwiles
    Free Member

cp – Member
    Anyone long legged about 6ft on a large?

that’s (nearly) me.

(6’2″, 36″ legs)

it’s not ideal for say, Xc racing Or hooning along the flat, but point it up or down something interesting and it seems to work quite nicely.

Re’ forks: offset = no idea, travel = 140, result = feels great.

fizik
    Free Member

I am 6ft 3 on a large with longish legs and mine is fine for most things, have done 40 mile xc races on it too. I have about 150mm of seatpost showing

sandwicheater

@benman, you’ve made what was already a difficult decision even harder.

matt007
    Free Member

I’m 6′ with long legs for my height, I got a large to get a decent TT length and ran it with a 50mm stem. I prefer a bit of room for breathing space and moving about a bit, hate bikes that feel cramped length wise. This was a good fit for me, I normally ride large size frames from most manufacturers, now got a large stumpy fsr carbon 29er.

Agree with all the comments above, rode great, I only changed frame cos I fancied something a bit more pimp.

thepodge
    Free Member

stevie750 – Does anyone run 38mm offset forks instead of the recommended 51.

This might be worth a read

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/pushing-the-limits-of-fork-offset-an-experiment-45343/

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘29er Codeine owners – You all happy?’ is closed to new replies.