• This topic has 107 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by core.
Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • 29er Bikepacking rigs. Pics please…
  • scotroutes

Fewer and fewer bikes come equipped with rack mounts these days, so you could end up compromising your bike choice. Sure, you can attach something with P-clips and a natty seatpost collar, but it’s never going to be as robust – plus the weight of your gear swinging back and forth on a rack is just causing stress that might result in rack failure. Soft luggage systems seem to get round most of these problems (but see my photos above for some bikes with racks).

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Where can I find these cheap XT brakes of which you speak?

No pics yet but Ive got my El Mariachi built up with BB7s. When I was up in Aviemore midweek I popped in to see Andy at Backcountry Biking to pick some Revelate bags. I think I have everything I need to get out in the wilds now.

Chew
    Free Member

how do you find the frame-bags, mixed with the saddle and bar bag for capacity?

As a general rule i’ll generally split my gear into 3 sections.

1)Stuff that needs to be kept dry (sleeping bag, sleeping clothes etc) Generally held in a 8l drybag. Bar mounted.

2)Stuff that would be good to keep dry but if it got a bit damp that’s ok. (tent, sleeping mat) 6l seat mounted pack

3)Heavy stuff (stove, tent poles, tools, food) Frame bag. Depending on frame size depends on size, but mines ~5l and its surprising the amount of stuff you can cram in.

So, maybe a dull question, but why do 29ers seem more popular for adventure type cycling? Do they suit ss better than 26″ for some reason?

Or is just a transfer from US adventure stuff where 29ers are more established? Or just niche for the sake of it?

Are there just as many 26″ bikepacking bikes out there?

Over open ground the bigger 29er wheels roll better and cover the ground quicker. When you’re covering large distances it adds up. I run a 26er (no funds to change at the moment) and its worked perfectly well.
    The difference in wheel size was noticeable on last summers trip to the States. Others were riding 29ers and on the descents I found I had to sit in someones wheel to keep up as there bikes rolled better than mine due to the bigger wheels.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Thanks Chew. Most of my kit is spretty small and lightweight, however I suspect my sleeping bag (Mammot Wave 3) will be the clincher here. Might look at the getting a more lightweight bag for the summer season.

postierich
    Free Member

Looking at putting a 29er front wheel on if I manage to get the matching front forks for the Hummingbird!

DSCF3439[1] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Loaded bike by South Downs MTB Skills, on Flickr

Here’s mine, need a frame bag…..

singlespeedstu

Rich.
    You do know you can get travel limiters to run a 29er wheel in your fork don’t you?

Pickers

Fewer and fewer bikes come equipped with rack mounts these days, so you could end up compromising your bike choice. Sure, you can attach something with P-clips and a natty seatpost collar, but it’s never going to be as robust – plus the weight of your gear swinging back and forth on a rack is just causing stress that might result in rack failure. Soft luggage systems seem to get round most of these problems (but see my photos above for some bikes with racks).

Ah ok fair enough. Used to touring and camping with rear panniers, but I’ve often carried soft loads in a dry bag strapped onto a rack. Making the jump this year from camping to bivvying and so I’ll be using as much kit as possible that I already have in case I don’t get on with it….

postierich
    Free Member

I know Stu cheers was thinking of the rigid route for better climbing 🙂

scotroutes

That’s the best way. You’ll learn loads about your preferences as you go along.

forexpipz
    Free Member

Considering endless hours in the saddle I,m seriously considering taking a hammock.

AlexSimon

forexpipz – Member

Considering endless hours in the saddle I,m seriously considering taking a hammock.
    All my bikepacking trips so far have been hammocking.
    Really love it. There’s something very special about it.

I’ve only got 26″ wheels though so I can’t play in this thread 🙂

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I prefer a hammock for a variety of reasons but, in general, I think you’ll also have more weight and bulk compared to a pit-mat-tarp type set-up. This might be important to you. There are numerous other pro’s and con’s to it that might affect your choice.

There’s no “rule” to it. Just like there’s no rule to dossing in the outdoors (with or without a bike).

HYOH 😎

vorlich
    Free Member

This turned up today, net cost £7.50 as Barclaycard begged, pleaded and eventually paid me £20 to keep my account open. 😀

duntstick
    Free Member

No fun sleeping in a bin liner and cooking on a coke can, this is the way to go……

BillOddie

Nice pic Chew, any more pics from your US trip?

scandal42
    Free Member

This turned up today, net cost £7.50 as Barclaycard begged, pleaded and eventually paid me £20 to keep my account open

I hate to ruin this for you but they offered me £50 🙂

ctznsmith
    Free Member

How stable are those Alpkit gas tank bags? I had a little experiment with a Topeak ‘tri-bag’ but it just wobbles around and ends up sat at a jaunty angle.

Here’s my bike in road going set up, losing the panniers and getting a frame bag for off road.

vorlich
    Free Member

I hate to ruin this for you but they offered me £50

The swine. I’m going to phone them and cancel at once!

mocha
    Free Member

Our Surly ECR on the BearBones – love it to bits.

jameso

^ Nice! I really like that.

OP – not wishing to ignite a brake debate on this thread but re XT brakes … http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/shimano-xt-problems
    (I have some and they’ve been fine for 5 years now, to balance that)

Chew
    Free Member

more pics from your US trip

Plenty more if you click through the Flickr

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Love that ECR…
    trying to decide on that vs a Fargo…

forexpipz
    Free Member

I’ve been eagerly awaiting the new singular swifts for some time now but until this materializes I cannot help love how my 29er inbred single speed rides.

Put 800mm bars on the bike with ergon grips and a brooks and it just feels amazing.

I’m seriously considering keeping my inbred as a epic touring rig. The only thing that is a pain is horizontal dropouts and the white colour.

On a side note i was experimenting with where to put my pump and came up with the simplest of solutions. Its no doubt been done before but It frees up more space elsewhere which cannot be a bad thing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93763273@N05/12205963954/sizes/o/in/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/93763273@N05/12205792943/sizes/o/in/photostream/

The pump is a pressure drive leyzenne. Bit of cellotape threads into seat post. Going to try and integrate my toolkit into seat post too with some kind of plastic tube.

The idea is to put some hex bits on an eclipse hacksaw blade with a wrench. Just pop the seat post and your maintenance requirements will be fullfilled.

core

I’d really like a rigid, steel 29er, and the inbred is very tempting at the price it is, but I want the option of ss or geared, not keen on the horizontal dropouts, so looks like one of the (much) more expensive frames is a better plan……..

Not many of these type of frames around 2nd hand either!

danielgroves
    Free Member

I’d really like a rigid, steel 29er, and the inbred is very tempting at the price it is, but I want the option of ss or geared, not keen on the horizontal dropouts, so looks like one of the (much) more expensive frames is a better plan……..

I’ve got one of these ones. Horizontal dropouts for SS, but still got a hanger for gears. Ran is SS for six months and put gears on (1*10) a few weeks back when I realised that my knees can’t take only riding SS since the other bike got nicked. Could be worth a thought.

It shall be spawning a triple soon for some long-distance stuff.

forexpipz
    Free Member

I’m thinking of getting another inbred. The sandy colour is less bling.

core

How do you find removing the wheel (when geared) with those dropouts? Have seen some comments saying it’s a lot of faff?

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘29er Bikepacking rigs. Pics please…’ is closed to new replies.