Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 29er… = 700c. Right?
  • lardman
    Free Member

I am thinking of getting a second hand 29er frame, and wanted to be doing mostly road/light-trail.
    Can i use my current 700c wheels just fine in it? It’s the same right? both disc etc:

Maybe a daft question, so excuse me if it is. I’m a dyed-in-the-wool 26″ wheel user you see!

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

yeah though obviously you might have issues if wanting big fat tyres with your current rims

househusband

Hub width might be different at the rear; aren’t road wheels 130mm..?

lardman
    Free Member

ok, thats a point. Didn’t know that. I’ll check. The wheels are from a SPesh Sirus.
    Either way, the plan is to build up an alfine rear wheel from scratch eventually. Maybe sooner if the current hub wont fit.

Thanks for the info, i’l do some checking.

lardman
    Free Member

seems like the disc version is 135mm spacing, and the non-disc is 130mm.

So, leaves the question.. “can i change the axle on a standard cup/come hub for a 5mm longer version”?
    I reckon i might be able to do that.

alanf
    Free Member

Road rear hubs are usually 130mm for non-disk but if it’s a disk hub it’s likely to be 135mm so should fit.

Edric64
    Free Member

5mm isnt a lot just open out or squash the dropouts a bit depending on which way you are going

acehtn
    Free Member

Been running track wheels 700c on a Surly Karate Monkey 29er frame.

The rear wheel is 120mm, so running chaintugs inboard with an extra spacer to space the axle out to 135mm.
    Think the rims are 18-19mm wide by 30mm deep semi aero track rims on track hubs.
    Have run 2.3 Bronsons and Hans Dampf tyres with no problems, but wider would be better.

When i get round to it, then a proper 29er disc ready wheelset will be coming.
    Cheap option was to use the rim brake 700c track set i already had and pick up a set of v-brakes, worked allright for a few years now, but i fancy gears on the Monkey 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘29er… = 700c. Right?’ is closed to new replies.