• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by st.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29er 140mm fork recommendations
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Looking for stiffness, trail, not XC, ability to soak up drops, but not too heavy. Bolt through axle, no frills adjustments (just rebound and lockout). Budget up to £500.

z1ppy

Pike from Europe sound like what you needs, and is normally the default option once you get past 120mm.
    MRP Stage and X-Fusion Trace are other options to consider, the X-fusion being a bargain on some sites (white and maybe 2014 models though) & I think you’d struggle to get the MRP’s at that price point

The “not to heavy” comment may hold you back from those 34/35mm forks, but seemingly the like of the 32mm RS Revelations aren’t that much lighter but maybe more where you want to head.

PS: Be aware that 46mm offset forks are normally the cheapest you can find, as most ppl/newer frames want the 51mm version.

Clobber
    Free Member

My Revs are nice

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Yes, can’t decide on whether I want 32s or wider. Always had 32s on a 26er but a stiffer 34mm seems to make sense on a 29er.

What’s this business about offset? Never seemed to be talked about a couple of years ago.

variflex
    Free Member

Pike RCT3’s all the way.

danti

I’m about 13stone kitted up and ride in the Peaks and prefer the 34mm stanchion X Fusion Trace to 32mm Fox forks which felt a bit twangy.
    The Trace feel a lot stiffer, aren’t heavy and are reasonably plush but without the small bump sensitivity of Fox if that bothers you.
    I think I’ve read that the 2015 ones have a new damper, check 18 bikes as they know about this being an x fusion dealer and are good guys to deal with.

z1ppy

Lots of info out there on trail, just go with 51 good..

Pinkbike explaination

My thinking is that the likes of the Pike is a great fork, and if you do feel it’s too much/heavy, it’ll sell well in no time

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Great link, thanks z1ppy. Yes, thinking that the Pikes would be the best bet and have come down in price to fit my budget.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Rev’s are good, Pikes are better. I’ve got at set of 140mm Revs lying around in my Garage after being replaced by 150mm Pikes. They’re not officially for sale but could be!!!

br
    Free Member

The “not to heavy” comment may hold you back from those 34/35mm forks, but seemingly the like of the 32mm RS Revelations aren’t that much lighter but maybe more where you want to head.

FWIW My new solo RC 150mm Pikes weighed a couple of grams less than the 150mm 32 talas they replaced – 26″ flavour

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Pike RCT3’s all the way.

+1! 😀

Davesport

Can’t fault my Rev’s. Tapered steerer, not massively flexy & relatively cheap.

What I would say with Pike’s or Rev’s is check the oil quantities & the foam rings after purchase. The foams in my Revs were bone dry from new.

chestrockwell

I’m in the market for the same and no matter how many times I look around for other options the answer keeps being ‘spend a bit more and get the Pikes’.

LoCo
    Free Member

Pike RCT3 or Fox Float 36 RC2 if you’re feeling flush

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

What I would say with Pike’s or Rev’s is check the oil quantities & the foam rings after purchase

Duly noted, but I’ll be buying them from the very awesome J-TECH Suspension:

All forks purchased from J-TECH include FREE tuning! When you purchase any fork from J-TECH, it is stripped down, any assembly faults or sizing issues are sorted, then reassembled with top quality oils/greases and valved/sprung to suit you.

st

I went through this recently.

after a short stint on Pikes on m 26″ I was torn as to what to buy for the replacement 29er.

In the end I went for Revs purely on cost. I don’t regret it at all and they are great but if you can get Pikes for your budget then do that.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29er 140mm fork recommendations’ is closed to new replies.