Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 29.8 seatclamp? will a 30.0 work?
  • 5lab

My frame (NS Surge) uses a 29.8mm seatclamp, and came with a allen key job. I’d like a qr (can’t afford a dropper, and other than the rase they don’t really drop far enough for me), but I’m struggling to get one in the right side for reasonable money. I know that seatpost sizes are critical down to the tenth of a mm, but do the clamps need to be as precise? if you look at a clamp when you tighten it, it tightens about 2mm anyway?

Cheers

H

ton

yes…..just done it on my singular.

sam42
    Free Member
    brant
    Free Member

The actual tube is 29.8mm, so with paint allowance I’m sure a 30mm will be fine 🙂

stumpy01

The Hope 30.0 one works ok on my Inbred which is a 29.8

It’s slightly loose when you release it, but ok otherwise.

Don’t get the On One clamp. The 29.8 one has a plastic bush that lasted about 6 weeks on mine before disintegrating.

5lab

ta guys, Think I’ll get the ragley clamp

H

ton

surly is the strongest clamp by far.

J0N
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member
    …Don’t get the On One clamp. The 29.8 one has a plastic bush that lasted about 6 weeks on mine before disintegrating

But the plastic bit makes it really easy to open and close the lever. Granted they tend to fall apart but I’ve always replaced it with some cut to size plastic. Old credit cards are quite good for this, infact better than the original. 🙂

stumpy01

JON, yeah perhaps until it starts to deform which took barely any time. It then made closing the clamp more effort until it gave up the ghost completely.

The Hope replacement I got (which was only a couple of quid more) has a brass bush that should last for years, the qr works really well and it looks good.

The particularly annoying thing about the On One qr was that it appeared identical to loads of ones on CRC that were almost half the price but had plastic bushes. The On One qr had a photo of it with a brass bush and the only review on the site mentioned it using a brass bush, which is why I was happy to spend more on it.
    They have since added a note to the webpage explaining that the larger clamp gets brass but the small one gets plastic.

Fluff66
    Free Member

I’ve always used the Identiti one. It used to be marketed as 29.8. It was then mislabelled by O Neal for a while as 30 and easy to find on CR. Dunno now/anymore whether it is really 29.8 or 30. Nice bit of kit – and a damn site better made than the Planet X one I had on my Inbred previously

trailertrash

I couldn’t get a 29.8 on my Sanderson but a 30 fitted fine. Seatpost 27.2. Go figure.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘29.8 seatclamp? will a 30.0 work?’ is closed to new replies.