Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 29" wheels in a 456carbon?
  • spicer
    Free Member

Has anyone tried this?
    I was toying with the idea of getting a cheap 29er, but thought a 29″ wheel might fit in the huge amounts of space in the 456 I have.

I’m riding it with rigid 29″ forks (similar a-c of a 140mm fork)… wondering if it will be a bit slack?! I remember trying a 29″ wheel on the front with 26″ back a few years ago. It was horrific…

Any experiences welcome!

spicer
    Free Member

Aaaanyone? 🙂

spicer
    Free Member

I’m not sure how my search missed that 😳 thanks

spicer
    Free Member

Theres not actually any ride feedback there, anyone else tried this?

andyl
    Free Member

Surely the BB height is just going to be ridiculous? Or was that the conclusion in the link above?

You could do a 69er but I would use a 26″ rigid fork (445mm a-c) to keep it from going too high.

spicer
    Free Member

Pretty much the conclusion, but how does that relate to it riding on the trail?

I already have a 29″ rigid fork, so I’ll just use that, the idea is a cheap conversion if it’ll ride ok. As I mentioned I’ve tried it as a 69er and it was horiffiic! Steering was incredibly slow. By jacking the back up with a 29″ wheel it should steepen the head angle back up, but I’ve no idea how that would ride…

chakaping
    Free Member

The downsides would be poor climbing, precarious feeling on techy descents and general feeling of being perched.

And it will probably want to highside you in corners.

spicer
    Free Member

Hmmm considering the terrain it’ll be used for (local xc) it sounds like it could just make the trails more interesting 😉 I’ll try and get hold of some to borrow and post back when I’ve had a go

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘29" wheels in a 456carbon?’ is closed to new replies.