Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 29+ tyres – what are you running on the rear in winter?
  • slowboydickie

I’ve picked up a stache after seeing a mate bez around on one all summer. But he is increasingly looking super sketchy on the stock tyres in the chalky, greasy Ranmore mud. I’ve got a Dirt Wizard for the front. What’s good for the rear?

I was wondering about a Nobby Nic 2.6. The Minion 3.0 was looking good but watching another mate on his Minion fat tyres they appear draggy.

What is a good denominator between grip and roll for the rear?

Cheers
    Rich

big_scot_nanny

I’ve enjoyed razzing my Surly ICT with 29+ wheels this summer, but as the weather turns wet the Chronicles are spectacularly bad – so deffo not that for the rear.

LBS is getting me a pair of DWs, going to try them front and back, but I’ve a feeling its just delaying the inevitable switch back to 100mm rims and Bud and Lou for true winter grrrrrrip 🙂

tazzymtb

Minion front as front n rear is a great slop set up. Dirty gandalfs are great but a wee bit draggy. Terrnene do a really nice 2.8 29er as well.

My go to 3 season rubber is the Vittoria bomboloni and still looking for a UK supply for the cannoli which would be a great winter option.

Vee trax fatties are OK

Vee bulldozers are iffy in deep mud/off camber rooty bits

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Got a Terrene McFly 2.8 waiting to be fitted, probably wont happen until the weekend but will report back, I’d agree the Bulldozer is a bit iffy too.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I used 2.4 conti mountain kings on my stache 5 last winter on the stock rims…. They work really well, with loads of clearance, but you lose some of the Cush that the chupas give.

andykirk
    Free Member

Can someone possibly tell me where the Terrenes are available to buy?

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Mine bought direct in the US than brought over by my sister in law in her luggage when she came over a few weeks back as they wanted $50 to ship, also looked at Teravail Kennebec in a 2.6 as that looked like an option as a chunkier winter tyre but werent available until the end of this month (may return to these though as the cumberland too looks like a fast option too).

rOcKeTdOg

Vittoria Bomboloni

funkmasterp

Bomboloni vote here too. Matched with a Bulldozer upfront you’re good for most conditions. I kinda miss my Stache

lexhorton
    Free Member

facing the same dilemma myself, especially with my stache having not a lot of clearance at the back.

i had chronicles last year on a Jones and they were awful in the clay and mud near me, picked up so much mud they became fatbike tyres and clogged the chain.

been looking at the Duro Crux but at 105 each its very top for something that might not be great on the bits of road i need to ride

confused58

Going to try Minion front, NN 2.6 rear for better (some) mud clearance on my Krampus.

Have already got the NN, put it on a Flow EX before battling with the Hugo rim and not convinced its + enough, but will give it a go…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I ran Dirt Wizards front and rear last winter. Replaced them with Chupas this spring, so I could do with something with more bite again fairly soon. 2.6 NNs on a 50mm rim?

The Minion 3.0 was looking good but watching another mate on his Minion fat tyres they appear draggy.

I’ve got 27.5×2.8 Minions on my Codeine, and they’re really not that draggy.

slowboydickie

Tazzymtb

Minion front as front n rear is a great slop set up. Dirty gandalfs are great but a wee bit draggy.

Did you find the DW draggier than a MINION front on the F&R?

mintimperial

I run DWs front and rear, it’s singlespeed so the extra traction comes in handy. They have all the grip. Yeah they’re a bit draggy on tarmac, but if I was bothered about stuff like rolling resistance I’d not be riding an attention-seeking comedy clown bike. 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘29+ tyres – what are you running on the rear in winter?’ is closed to new replies.