• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by SiB.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 29″ tyres replacing 700s?
  • SiB
    Free Member

Using 700x35c cinderX at present but could do with a chunkier tyre (sorry, new to all this, ‘chunkier’ maybe not correct term and a bit vague!)………….does anyone know for definite without a shadow of a doubt if 29ers will fit as I have had conflicting answers elsewhere – some say definitely, some say definitely not!!

Alternatively can anyone recommend a 700 which would inspire more confidence than the above cinder X?

singlespeedstu

700c and 29er tyres use the same size rim.

Just a question of if you can get the 29er tyre in your frame.

wwaswas

I’d check rim width as well – you don’t want anything fat that’s going to roll off because the rim’s too narrow.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I will go and check what is on my bike. It was running a 29″ tyre and I stuck a 700×35 on so I could stick it on a 26″ bike and still fit through the frame.

Give me 30 minutes and I will get some pics up.

miketually
    Free Member

Like Stu says, 29er tyres are 700c tyres. I’ve had 42c tyres and 2.25″ tyres on the same narrow touring bike rims with no problems other than the V brake arms hit the fatter tyres once the pads are even just a little bit worn which they wouldn’t with wider rims.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Maxxis.com Ignitor XC 2.25 fit the same rim as my 700×35 tyres without problems. Disc wheel though so not sure about rim brakes

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks for replies, seems like 29ers will be fine.

With the 700 x35c cinderX on there looks plenty of room all round to increase tyre size.

Rim width though does look a bit narrow but I have nothing to compare it against….the only figures on the rim are 622 x 17, alex rims, do these figures mean anything to anybody??! Does the 17 mean 17mm rim width? If yes, can anybody recommend tyre width of new 29er that would be safe to run

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘29″ tyres replacing 700s?’ is closed to new replies.