Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 29 turning
  • frosty123
    Free Member

Hi guys thinking of a new bike the 2014 trek fuel 9 done lots of reading from pro reviews about this bike and that most say the bike doesn’t turn as good as the 2013 with 26 inch wheels? I know I should test ride myself but haven’t really the time just yet so I thought I would ask the real down to earth mud plugging users for a honest opinion of what you think the 29 inch wheel bike handle like compared to 26s.also if this is true is there any mods that can be done to the 29 bikes to sharpen up the handling. Thanks for any info

Rorschach
    Free Member

Differently.
    Not really.
    HtH

bikeneil
    Free Member

youngrob

I have a Rocky Mountain Instinct and it handles brilliantly. On fast flowy stuff it’s much faster than my 26, however on tight steep trails it’s a bit of a handful. Overall, I wouldn’t go back.

frood
    Free Member

Anyone that treks you a 29er doesn’t corner is talking cr@p. (see Tracey Mosely at the EWS – she’s got the choice if whatever wheel size she wants)
    Don’t get me wrong, it is different, but my 26ers now feel skittish where the wagon wheels feel planted. I’m having more fun than ever 🙂

hopefiendboy

Split the difference. Choose your own path. Get a 27.5 before they go obsolete!

Marmoset
    Free Member

RM Element 29er here – the only time I really notice a downside is on steep uphill switchbacks. Everywhere else it’s brilliant.

chestrockwell

Can’t say I even notice much of a difference in cornering with my 5 29 compared to the old 26″ 5 to be honest, certainly nothing to worry about.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I noticed a much bigger difference in handling and turning quickness (if there is such a measure) when going from my first MTB to my second in the mid ’90’s, so both 26″. My first had a shorter wheelbase and was very manouverable and ‘quick turning’. My second bike had a longer wheelbase and was noticeably more sluggish, but far more stable at speed. Geometry has a far more powerful effect on this than wheel size in my experience.

I have no problems at all (apart from the limitations my own skill places) on my 29er in switchbacks, slow technical sections or quickness of turning. In fact I’ve just changed my forks and my new forks have a 51mm offset vs. a 46mm offset on my previous forks, and that has had a very noticeable affect (improvement) on the turning quickness and feel of maneuverability despite an increase in wheelbase due to the offset and a 13mm longer a-c length slackening things up a little.

So it’s not as simple as saying just one aspect affects handling on its own. It’s the net affect of a number of things. There are slow turning 26ers as well as slow turning 29ers.

Paceman
    Free Member

So it’s not as simple as saying just one aspect affects handling on its own. It’s the net affect of a number of things. There are slow turning 26ers as well as slow turning 29ers.

Exactamundo 😀

A new bike will undoubtably feel different, geometry being the main factor concerned. What do you currently ride?

creamegg
    Free Member

you will have to do 3 point turns to get round switchbacks!

frosty123
    Free Member

I was right to ask you guys thanks so much very helpful.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve found that since changing to 29ers, I have to give written notice to do anything other than gentle sweeping curves. I’ve had to re-engineer my trails, which has taken a couple of years of spade work, but I’m nearly there now.

Northwind

It is an It Depends from me. But at the end of the day, all bikes turn as fast as you move your hands, it can take a wee bit more or less effort and feel a bit less instant but it’s something you can work with. Especially in these days of longer, slacker bikes.

ahwiles
    Free Member

just move to the Peak District – where there are no corners.

(except that one near the top of Stanage – y’know, the one that the mags use when they want to bang on about how great the Peak District is)

drofluf
    Free Member

Doubt it will be a problem since your wheels will explode before you get to the first corner ;D.

Seriously though, as others have said there’s more to manoverability[s]manourveibility[/s] how well a bike turns than the wheel size

digga
    Free Member

I think Steve Jones of Dirt magazine described it best when he said that the difference between turning a 29 as opposed to a 29er was one of timing; you do roughly the same things, use roughly the same technique(s), but it happens in a slightly different sequence. Switching between the two myself – either way – it does sometimes take a good half hour minimum to get your head there, but once you’re aclimatised, the differences are negligible, it’s just that IMHO 29 feels less ‘divey’ and rolls faster.

maxtorque

The thing that makes all bikes turn is the big sack of spuds sat on top “riding” it, no matter what the wheel size is! Learn (or be taught) to turn a bike properly and you won’t have to worry about minor details such as wheel size etc 😉

singletrackmind

In my somewhat limited experience of riding both I would say my 29er benefits more from proper technique. Im not saying it neeeds a man with a flag walking in front , and a mile to turn like a supertanker. The 575 just flows a little easier , the Superfly prefers to ” Jedi’d ” round corners.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Mine goes round corners like a clown riding on a wagon.

david47
    Free Member

Got my first 29er about two months ago… I think its the dogs bollocks, but then again it did cost 4 times as much as my 26er. And If strata was anything to go by, then it’s still the dogs bollocks… Smashing times up, down, sideways, tech or non tech… However I thinks is probably more to do with better geometry… So only one real solution test ride if at all possible…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘29 turning’ is closed to new replies.