Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • 29 trail bike
  • Earthquake
    Free Member

2.5k budget

Narrowed down to Vitus Escarpe VRX 29
    or Specialized Enduro Comp 29

Fast trail riding
    You choose…

Northwind

I wasn’t convinced by the Enduro, it should be great on paper but I felt pretty perched on top- I’d gone up a size for reach and wheelbase but it was still a shorter bike than my own, and it didn’t have that much space for seatpost etc. Not a bad bike, not by a long way but just not quite right I thought. Just to state the obvious, Specialized would probably say get a stumpy

Haven’t ridden the Escarpe and, well, I just finished talking about things that look good on paper so, let’s not go there! Did you consider the Mega 290 at all? It’s damn good.

Oh yeah, my comparison is a Remedy 29, which is a phenomenal bike. I have mine slacked out and bulked up so it’s a bit more #enduro than the trailbike it was designed to be but it does both jobs brilliantly. I’ve no affection for it as I’ve always had with my other main bikes but it’s the best bike I’ve ever ridden, by a fair margin… They were terrible value new but getting to be good value used now.

crispy1980
    Free Member

I have the 2015 enduro elite. Agree with above, it does feel a short bike and for some reason I’ve never gelled with it. It is a very good bike, I’m faster everywhere and it tackles anything I can ride. I think some of the issue for me us that 160mm travel on a 29 er is too much for 90% of my riding. Ut kinda makes things too safe? I had a on one codeine beforehand which I loved, wished I’d replaced it with another really. However, I took a look and they are not as well equipped anymore.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Trek Fuel Ex8

mrhoppy

I agree with Northwind. I bought a new Remedy 29er frame at the beginning of the year and it’s been awesome, easily the fastest bike I’ve owned. I got the frame and rear shock for £900 so you should be able to do a reasonable build for £2.5k if you shopped smart.

StuE
    Free Member

Jeffsy and still have some money in your pocket
    https://www.yt-industries.com/uk/detail/index/sArticle/1248/sCategory/508

mark90
    Free Member

I demo’d a Jeffsy 29er yesterday. I have to say I found the same as Northwind with the Spesh Enduro. Very short ETT and reach. Felt the wheels where almost underneath me, sitting very perched on top of the bike. No room to move around to weight the bike like on something a bit longer. Size up for reach and there’s a lot of seat tube. Not a confidence inspiring ride. For reference I’m used to riding a Bird which is a longer and more roomy bike.

Earthquake
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far.
    The Jeffsy, Fuel EX 8, and Stumpy are all out off stock in my size right now (L).
    Hence the Enduro or Vitus.

I’ll have a look at the Remedy, didn’t realise there was a 29 version. How does it climb?

Earthquake
    Free Member

Can’t seem to find a current Remedy 29
    Anyone riding the Nukeproof Mega 290 Race or Comp ?

legend
    Free Member

There is no current Remedy 29er, however the Fuel would be worth a look instead

Earthquake
    Free Member

Yeah L is out of stock everywhere.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

For fast trail riding you might be able to go down in travel – Smuggler, Process 111 etc

I’ll be selling my large smuggler but tbh it’s great for trail riding, trail centres, longish rides, even the odd enduro race. Process 111 is similar but maybe more burly.

bowglie

I have a large Enduro 29 and agree with the comment about feeling perched. It also definitely feels shorter than my other current favourite 29er – its a slightly strange bike, because (apart from the tall BB), the geometry feels nice and agile for general trail centre type stuff, but then IMO, it has too much travel for trail centres. For winch and plummet natural descents in the Peak and Wales, I really like the bike and, from a big near miss this week, I can confirm that it’s suspension travel does give it a decent safety margin for bashing through stuff:) The Enduro I’ve got is a 2016 with pressfit bottom bracket, so my plan is to fit an offset BB to drop it by 10mm when the stock BB is knackered. With the BB lowered I think it’ll be a good bike for general trail riding on rough stuff, but definitely not my first choice for trail centres!

My current favourite is my Cotic FlareMAX; it’s a bit slacker, has got a longer reach and wheelbase than the Enduro 29. Ride wise, it’s just a brilliant all-rounder. Only had the bike for 3or 4 weeks, but done a few Peak District rides (natural and man made flow trails), and been to Glentress with it. It was brilliant around Glentress – even the off-piste ‘enduro’ trails. The only time I’ve felt that I would have been more confident and comfortable with a bit more travel and/or wheelbase has been on a couple of natural descents where I’ve deliberately stayed off the brakes just to explore its stability envelope. I have felt the bike starting to get a bit squirelly when speeds really get up, or charging fast when the terrain starts getting loose and rocky – but then, this is probably fairly deeply into RocketMAX territory.

I’d recommend getting a demo of a RocketMAX and FlareMAX. On paper, they’re heavier and don’t get as good a spec as some of the big brands, but they ride lighter than their on paper weight, and have quite an indestructible feel to them. IMO, their geometry is also spot-on.

Sam from Cotic travels around the country with Cotic demo fleet, so you might be able to find a local demo if you have a browse on their website.

HTH

p.s. Also previously owned a Spesh Camber Evo 29- brilliant trail centre bike, but I prefer the Flare MAX for natural trails.

mrhoppy

Remedy 29 frameset here but any Trek dealer can get them, shock was £300 extra.

lewis75
    Free Member

After riding my mates Vitus 29 VRX I ended up buying one for myself. I’ve had it for 2 weeks and it’s quite easily the best bike I’ve owned. Got an extra 10% off with BC discount on CRC so worked out to just under £2.2k.
    This is the first 29er I’ve owned and it’s a monster truck and just rolls over things I’d normally slow down and pick my line around. I looked at a Jeffsy but was put off by the short reach/long seat tube and the wait for stock.

tuboflard

I’d second bowglie about the Rocket MAX, did a test ride of one a week or so ago and liked it that much I’ve gone and ordered one. Really helpful advice from Sam and Si too when choosing spec and size.

davosaurusrex

I’d second the Trek Fuel, I got my alloy frameset from evolution cycles in Eastbourne, mine was the last one in 21.5 in Europe but they thought there were more coming so might be worth enquiring with Trek UK.

I was considering a remedy as well but the fuel is longer, lower and slacker for 10mm less travel. Never thought I’d love a trek but I do, best bike I’ve owned.

I can also vouch for the guys in evolution, top fellas. They have some really nice stuff in their shop at good prices, well worth a visit

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Cube Stereo 140 29ers are good value for money. A couple of slack angle sets and you’d have a full carbon, fast trail bike.

Earthquake
    Free Member

Lewis75 how’s the Vitus 29 on the climbs?
    Much bob? Does the fork lockout?

lewis75
    Free Member

It climbs really well without much bob. The monarch and pikes both have lockout but not felt the need to use them so far.
    Im on an XL with Schwalbe super gravity tyres on front and rear so it’s no lightweight XC machine but it more than makes up for it on the downs

Northwind

Trailrider Jim – Member

Cube Stereo 140 29ers are good value for money. A couple of slack angle sets and you’d have a full carbon, fast trail bike.

I think the carbon Stereo has an integrated headset so can’t take an angleset. Could be wrong but that was what I read when I was looking at one.

nickdavies

I’ve been looking at the Jeffsy, stumpy and similar… I’m waiting for the new whyte s-150 before I decide now though. Looks amazing!

Earthquake
    Free Member

Thanks Lewis75
    How tall are you on the XL ?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I wouldn’t class most of the suggestions of 150+ mm travel 29ers as ‘trail’ bikes. Monster trucks more like.

If you want one, there is another shipment of Fuels about to drop with Trek – probably worth speaking with a dealer.

FWIW, the Fuel for me is a great bike, which is a hard thing for the inner snob in me to say. I’ve had mine for about 7 months now & it’s been spot on.

Hell, I even went DH racing on it today & came 2nd. Much to the annoyance of the DH’ers 🙂

lewis75
    Free Member

Earthquake: I’m 6’2 on the XL

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Sorry to slightly hijack but has anyone ridden a large or extra large mega 290? Saw one today and it looked massive!

b45her
    Free Member

In the case of the stereo pop a 160 airshaft in the forks and some offset bushes and it’s a total weapon.

rOcKeTdOg

We’ve got a demo ex8 in 19.5, i hate FS bikes but this bike has changed my mind. Rides great. Oh & it’ll take 27.5+ too if that’s your bag

andy88
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2015 vitus escarpe 29er, I think about swapping it but when I look around I don’t see anything that I think would be an improvement, it rides light, climbs well I carnt fault it, it’s only my second 29er fs bike my 1st was a cube stereo shpc which was a good couple of pounds lighter but not as nice to ride.

tom.nash

ST are about to test a 2017 Escarpe 29er if you can wait a few days…

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 for the FlareMax, it’s probably the best trail bike I have ridden. Gutted the seat post was too tall for me on the large.

Maybe if I rode in platform shoes?

chakaping
    Free Member

The new Scott Spark also looks like a corker.

alextemper
    Free Member

The 29er is a great bike if you can find one. The 2017 Fuel EX is rumoured to be a great bike also.

Rorschach
    Free Member

The Mega 290 is a beast.No all rounder but with a bit of gravity behind it goes like the proverbial.
    At 6’2″ the xl did’nt feel overly huge to me.If there were any frames about I’d have to have a think.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Rorschach what was the stand over like on it? Can’t see it listed anywhere!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Same on all sizes.Just the seat tube brace changes.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘29 trail bike’ is closed to new replies.