Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 29+ riders.
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

29+ riders are you convinced by the new format? Nudging into the fat bike category I’m not seeing as much enthusiasm for the new size, certainly not as much as fat bikes and I’ve noticed less criticism (compared to 650b) about the introduction of another wheel/tyre size. I guess its not superceding anything like 650b seems to be doing. Anyway not to lead this down an already well trodden path and back to 29+. Are owners taken with the big tyres? Is it much better than a Hans Dampf on a Flow EX for instance? And is a 29+ on the cards for anyone in the near future, why are you thinking of one?

birdage

So glad you asked this, have been thinking of posting the same over the last few days. I also genuinely want to know what the attraction is? I’ve got a Swift and was thinking of getting a 29+ fork for more mud clearance but given that I very rarely have any issues with 2.35 tyres in South Downs clag anyway I can’t see that it’s worth the extra expense. I can’t get beyond costs of and limited choice of 29+ rims, tyres and limited mud clearance issues. Sorry I’ve pretty much repeated everything you said!!

Sam

Well, I’m pretty taken with them – so much so I’m trying to get a new model off the ground which is designed for them. Personally, for regular trail riding they are a lot faster than a full fat tyre, while still giving you a lot of the same fat-bike ‘monster truck’ sort of feel. You also go a long way to the same sort of traction of a full fat tyre, if not flotation. You have the added benefit of standard width cranks and hubs – making complete builds much cheaper than an equivalent full fat.

Yes, tyre and rim choices are limited, but 10 years ago the same was true with 29ers. I think it actually offers a much greater change over current offerings than 650b does. Why are manufacturers (so far) not pushing it like 650b? It’s much more difficult! You basically need to design a frame from the ground up. With 650b it’s just a matter of a little more clearance than your existing 26″ designs. It is hard enough when you are talking about a rigid bike. For full suspension it’s a pretty major design undertaking – the majority of 29″ full suspension designs only just fit wide 29″ tyre.

For my more detailed thoughts see here.

Sam

mattjg
    Free Member

Am a happy 29er HT rider, I’d certainly like to try 29+ (also a fat bike) though I do have concerns about the time and effort needed to get a big old 29+ up and rolling. Rotational mass is a factor with 29ers I find. I don’t doubt they would be great bombing down hillsides. I mean straight down.

I note CTBM hooning about happily on his Krampus, but I also note he’s built like a cart horse.

Sam’s vote is a plus.

austen

I’ve only had a quick spin on one, but found the combination of fast rolling tyres and some bump absorption more akin to a (very) short travel full sus, without all that faffing with boingy bits. The traction was awesome and nice round tyres made for lovely cornering.

I’m not in the market for a new bike at the moment, but will be seriously considering one of these to replace the SS hard tail. If only just for giggles…

Sam

The tyres do roll well but definitely you notice them being a bit harder to get up to speed – though nowhere near as bad as full fat. The nice thing about them being standard hubs is that you also have the option of throw some light and racy wheels in there if the mood takes you – and get acres of mud clearance.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

29+ is considerably bigger than a HD running tubeless on even a 35mm rim. I loved the 29+ feel and simplicity but sold my Krampus as I wanted something light and suspended again. My biggest gripe was the lack of tyre choice as the knard was not great in the wet/mud and has a bit of a fragile carcass when run tubeless. However,this will change soon when the dirt wizard and maxxis offering come.

At that point, I will very likely buy back into the 29+ format.

Sam

Vee Rubber tyres are on the way as well and look really good!

scotroutes

I’m just waiting for a decent 27.5+ frame to go with some of the new rubber now appearing.

DrP

I had a blast on Charlie’s krampus on the field at ssuk2013 (I think at one point I was wheeling it whilst drinking cider…).
    I was really impressed at how ‘sprightly’ it was actually -fast off the mark for such lardy tyres!

DrP

nedrapier

I’m looking forward to trying a 26+ (2.75″ on 35mm rim) on the front of my rigid SS. Think it will be fantakka. Quarter fat, or something. Three sixteenths, maybe.

ajantom

Happy to put in my tuppence worth on the subject once again….

I’ve had my Krampus for over a year now, and I can honestly say it’s the best/most fun/most useful/most comfortable bike I’ve owned.

For me (YMMV) the riding position is spot on. The comfort from the 3″ tyres and 50mm rims is just right. It’s a good weight for what it is, and the paint seems to be indestructible so far.

I’ve had it set up geared, and tried out suspension forks (mainly just to see if I could), but have now settled on rigid and singlespeed.

Those who ride with me will attest that I ride it fast(ish) over pretty much any terrain. But, it’s also fine as an all day pootling along tow-paths and country lanes bike.

takisawa2

I hired a Krampus from Swinnertons, at Cannock.
    Liked it but the frame felt a bit of a behemoth, but it was a large & somewhat heavier than my SIR.9.
    When I get round to it I’m going to rebuild my wheels on to some Velocity P35 rims. (The Rabbit Holes are stupid money.) Plan is to run a Knard up front & keep my current 2.35 Ralph out back.

coastkid
    Free Member

Love mine, a 30 lbs fatbike 3×9, Surly KramPug, use it on hardpack sand as well as trails,

The flexy Pugsley frame gives a great all day ride, the tyres at 18 psi or lower at 14 psi smooth out the trails nicely, ace for a rigid bike, my Karate Monkey feels quite harsh by comparison, and that is a comfy ride!,

29+ is i think what most folk currantly riding trails on 4″ fatbikes would prob be better riding as they ride lighter as are faster, roll more, and are more flickable on tight trails with less rolling mass than 4″ full fat,
    roll on more future tyre options 🙂

And roll on the warmer evenings! love riding this bike. with two wheel/tyre size options it`s my favourite bike 🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba9eqXvBqUY[/video]

I don`t do Strava, but told this loop of the original Butterdean woods trail here in East Lothian is the fastest, fully rigid too! 😉

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIew2M1uqYQ[/video]

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘29+ riders.’ is closed to new replies.