Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 29+ rear tyre with 'standad' 29 front (Knard/Chunky Monkey)….will I die?
  • rosscopeco
    Free Member

Very much a theoretical question at the moment but I’m giving it some serious thought.

I had some swinging dropouts fitted to my Solaris over a year ago and with them swung all the way back a Knard or similar may fit. Also running a P35 rim so that bit is sorted too.

I’d probably try a Knard on my Rebas too but after some tinternet searching I’ve seen some scary photos of guys who’ve taken a dremel to their stantions and whitteled away enough to make them work. 😯

I guess I could just go the full hog and get a set of rigid forks but that’s for another day.

Anyway….what’s the collectives thoughts in this combo?

sillyoldman

Better on front first.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I doubt you’d krep it long term

pop-larkin
    Free Member

To my mind that will give you all the disadvantages of the wider tyre format with none of the upside

On my jones I run a nate but have kept the rear as a rocket Ron to maximise pedalling efficiency

Duffer
    Free Member

I’m not too familiar with the Solaris; how much room do you have ‘twixt the chainstays? I’m only asking as i have an Inbred with P35 / Chunky Monkey and it only just fits…

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Duffer: I’ve had the original dropouts replaced with Paragon swinging dropouts so the clearance ‘hopefully’ shouldn’t be an issue. My chainstay length will obviously increase but it may be worth it!

Agreed re trying it on the front first…however the benefits in terms of additional grip and cushioning appeal.

ajantom

Where are you based? If you’re in the SW I have a spare knard you could try.

*edit* ah! scratch that, just had a look at your profile and you’re in Glasgow!

Paceman
    Free Member

Get some Surly Krampus forks then you can run Knards front and back. Then you’ll be grinning ear to ear 😀

ontor
    Free Member

Might take you up on that Tom if it’s an open offer?

takisawa2

There’s a few threads on mtbr.
    Planning the same for my Niner.
    Knard will fit the fork, & a 2.35 Ralph runs fine out back.
    Just need to condition myself into buying a £100 tyre. 😯
    Oh, & two new rims.

ajantom

Hi joe, yup, no problem. It has a small split/holein the sidewall (not all the way through though) that I’ll need to mend first.

@takisawa2 – the 27tpi one can be had for £50 online.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Just a word of caution if you are thinking on running in muddy conditions- they are scarey! (Ime)
    The long awaited dirt wizard is the one to go for in winter- if it ever arrives

takisawa2

£50 eh… 😛

[rubs chin]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘29+ rear tyre with 'standad' 29 front (Knard/Chunky Monkey)….will I die?’ is closed to new replies.