Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • 29+ Rear Tyre Options
  • funkmasterp

I know, I know another tyre thread 🙄

The chupabracadabra out back is starting to wear a bit thin and will need replacing soon. I’ve a Vee Bulldozer up front and was wondering if a Vee fatty would work well with it as a rear tyre.

Need something relatively tough and tubeless ready as I ride in a few rocky areas and have a tendency to just ride through everything? Any recommendations appreciated.

ajantom

I’ve got a Vee Trax Fatty on my the back of my Krampus, rolls and grips well. Also went up tubeless really easily.

AlasdairMc

The Fatty on rear to go with a Bulldozer up front is a poor combination IMO.

The Bulldozer grips and grips, whereas the Fatty lets go at every opportunity. I now run a regular rear tyre with a 29+ front as it is the perfect combination of grip and acceleration.

This was on a Stooge btw

funkmasterp

I’m on a stache with the stock mulefoot rims. I reckon a regular tyre would probably be a bit weird and not fit too well. Sounds like the fatty won’t be too good though.

swanny853

Didn’t chain reaction have chronicles going cheap just recently?

funkmasterp

Chronicle any good do you know? Sorry, new to this 29+ thing and can’t afford to buy a duff tyre, not at current prices 😯

st

I’ve just bitten the bullet s gone for a pair of Minions on my Stache. Eye watering Lyn expensive but hoping they’ll add to the steamroller feel of the bike. Only one ride on the DHR II rear (yesterday) and so far so good.
    I don’t expect them to be anywhere near as fast rolling as the stock Bonty but expecting lots of grip and toughness!

funkmasterp

Thanks st – I might have to give the minion a go. They were my default front tyre on 26″ bikes and the rear specific one might go well with the bulldozer. I was tempted to go double bulldozer, but the size and weight might be a step too far 🙂 exceptionally tough tyres though and roll surprisingly well.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Is it groundhog day?

Did we not do this a few weeks back 😉

Minion would be my choice.

funkmasterp

Couldn’t find the thread and forgot the options 😳

Thanks all

confused58

Hi,
    Chronicles only good in the dry and the one CRC sent me was not TR…

How about a Dirt Wizard, they seem pretty tough?

slowbloke
    Free Member

funkmasterp
    I was tempted to go double bulldozer, but the size and weight might be a step too far exceptionally tough tyres though and roll surprisingly well.

Double Bulldozer is fine in the winter but draggy as hell on drier trails. Bulddozers are also hell if you gave to ride any road as part of your ride unlike the Chupacabras. My chups are in good condition though so I’ll whack one of those on the back for the summer.

funkmasterp

I have to ride about 2.5 miles of road to get to my local trails and the bulldozer doesn’t seem too bad to be honest. Might just get another chupa for the rear or try the minion.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Is it groundhog day?

Did we not do this a few weeks back

Seems like it. I still say Vittoria Bomboloni !

slowbloke
    Free Member

funkmasterp – Member
    I have to ride about 2.5 miles of road to get to my local trails and the bulldozer doesn’t seem too bad to be honest

This was 13 miles of road with riding companions on road bikes for company. I barely noticed I was on an MTB with the chupacabras but felt every mile of it on the Bulldozers.

funkmasterp

This was 13 miles of road with riding companions on road bikes for company. I barely noticed I was on an MTB with the chupacabras but felt every mile of it on the Bulldozers.

That would be bad. I would not fancy doing that sort of distance on road.

Thanks all – think I’ll give the bombilini a go as it sounds like a chupa, but with tougher sidewalls.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

The sidewalls on chupas are fine…..I run them low pressure, tubeless, and haven’t had an issue. Ive had a big split, but nothing would have stopped that.

In the wet however, they will try to kill you. In the face.

Everywhere else they are awesome!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Duro crux 3.25″ – its bigly!

How are the Vee Bulldozers on the front?

funkmasterp

Bulldozer is great upfront in my opinion. Pretty much works as the name suggests. Then again it’s the only tyre I’ve had, so my opinion may not be worth much. Loving the whole plus thing so far though

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Have you measured it? How big is it?

funkmasterp

Not measured it, don’t go in to that level of detail tbh. It’s a 3.25 according to Vee. Using my patented measuring system of standing back a bit, it comes out as very big 🙂

slowbloke
    Free Member

futon river crossing
    Have you measured it? How big is it?

A bulldozer is 80.2 mm on a Duroc. A Chupacabra is just about 76mm – I did take pics but photobucket is being a git as usual.

manmurray

Have been running a 2.6 Nobby Nic on the back of a Rooster (with a 30mm rim), I’ve been pleasantly surprised. Relatively cheap on next day tyres too (definitely compared to the Minion on the front…).

About to rebuild onto a mk2 Stooge, fingers crossed it’ll still fit.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Yeah – I’ve got a 2.6 NN in the back of my Jones. Works really well, a bit draggy compared to a RR 2.35 though.

Are there any rims wider than 50mm out there yet?

funkmasterp

Had a search around, but 50mm is the widest I can find for 29+

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Where can you get the Bombilni tyres from?cheers.

funkmasterp

Fat Birds

Think I’m going to get one when the goat sucker finally dies

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I wonder if the the true 29+ (reall 3″ tyre) will survive long term. There don’t seem to be many new tyres coming out 🙁 I really hope so – 3 or 3.25 is perfect for a rigid 29er. I’m thinking of getting a couple of Bulldozers, just in case 😉 !

martinh
    Free Member

Maxxis havd only just launched the DHR and DHF, Terrene have the McFly. Not an avalanche of new tyres but still, always good to have more chouce.

PS can someone in the UK please become a Terrene importer

devs
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with a knard out back. Fast and predictable. Not for the front though.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Good to know about the Knard in the back, presumably still pants in the mud?t

The McFly is only a2.8″ though isn’t it?

funkmasterp

The McFly sounds interesting. It’s great to see a bit of choice coming through in 29+ now. If only the prices were a tad lower.

martinh
    Free Member

Yes, only 2.8, my memory was playing tricks on me

epicyclo

futon river crossing – Member
    …Are there any rims wider than 50mm out there yet?

Double wall Alu rim 28 inch 67 mm black matte from Classic Cycles in Germany. They have other widths too.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Interesting! 1372g = not so interesting! 😉

epicyclo

futon river crossing – Member
    Interesting! 1372g = not so interesting!

Holesaw, problem fixed. 🙂

vorlich
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with a knard out back. Fast and predictable. Not for the front though.

100% disagree. I think the knard 29+ Is one of the most versatile front tyres I’ve used, decent on tarmac, rolls well on gravel and forest tracks, immense in the dry. Good on loose rocky descents, I’ve ridden down mam barrisdale to Barisdale Bothy in the wet without issue on a fully loaded bike. Fine on steep/rooty trails, did Birnam Hill last weekend.

Hard to beat for bikepacking and mixed conditions. If you want decent mud performance throughout winter then I agree a dirt wizard is required.

st

The Minion DHR2 on the back of my Stache

With a DHF up front it looks even more of a monster but so far so good. Definitely not for miles on the road or mellow trails but as the Stache is now my sole bike I wanted it set up to manage with loose and sketchy stuff primarily.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

They look great, are they 29+? How big is the casing?

Personally, I thought the Knard was so awful, I gave up on the whole plus thing for 4 years!

st

Yes, 29+.

The casing measures up at around 77mm so a gnat’s chuff over 3″.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘29+ Rear Tyre Options’ is closed to new replies.