Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 29 plus front wheel cheap?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone seen anything? 100mm hub.

Stoner
    Free Member

tick. Me looking too 🙁

mikeys

I was looking at this too and the best I could find was a wtb i35 rim and an SLX hub, just starting to tension the wheel up this evening. I didn’t really find much in the way of fully built wheels.

Sam

Halo Vapour 50 rim on Shimano hub. Happy to build you one.

Stoner
    Free Member

Coincidentally it’s to go on my gryphon…

Will be in touch Sam…

molgrips
    Free Member

How much, Sam?

coppice
    Free Member

Some people have done budget builds with these but they’re a bit heavy,

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycle-parts/rims/rims/29-kris-holm-freeride-rim.html

faustus
    jimfrandisco
    Free Member

sorry to hijack, also been looking for the same.
    Running a rigid 29er scandal and would like some more squidge in the front – but as i’m limited to pretty narrow 29er in the back i think it would make sense to keep the 29er in the back and go for 650b plus up front as they’d be the same overall diameter.

Or have i got it completely wrong?!

faustus

Jimfrandisco – in the same situation pretty much, running a rigid scandal 29er. Have a krampus fork so plenty of room for 29+ and thinking the increase in front end height will be no bad thing! I’m less keen on 29+ being a heavier option, so a 27.5 x 3.0 is probably a good thought. I’ve seen pics of other scandals running b+ rear too, but not something i’m bothered about really, clearance looks tight

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

faustus – let me know how you get on if you go for either solution. Partly leaning towards the b+ option as greater availability which should make it a cheaper option if i find something second hand.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have 27.5+ (trailblasters) in my O-O Ti29er (not wholly dissimilar to the scandal) and have put them in the gryphon in the past. They work splendidly in the Tu29er but the Gryphon wanted just a little bit more wheel. The 27.5+ come up about 1-2cm smaller in diameter than standard 29er IMO (about 1cm BB/axle drop)

650b+ in Ti29er

in Gryphon

Stoner
    Free Member

faustus, cheers for the link.
    Looks interesting. Appears to be built on a Halo 6F Spin Doctor front disc hub. 185g for QR

SLX, while nominally cheaper is the same weight.

Of course, whether one can ever get the wheel from Tredz is another question….

Stoner
    Free Member

I’m usually happy building my own wheels but does anyone know where you can actually buy a vapour 50 rim from?

cooie

I’ve got a pair of used once WTB i35 rims I’ll be selling, if of interest to anyone.

phildowling
    Free Member

Not particularity cheap…or just the front but I’ve just got the Superstar 35mm set with a 30mm internal. Might be worth a single wheel request to them?

Runs a 3.0 Maxxis Chronicle lovely and they actually feel pretty decent. Running a 1/2 fat MK1 Swift.

Stoner
    Free Member

Cooie, am I right in thinking that i35 is 35mm internal? If so might well be interested…

Planning on putting a chronicle on it…

birdage

Can recommend ridewill rims from Italy. No problems with postage and a 29er+ rim with hope hub and build worked out at £85 for me. Light as well.

cooie

Yes Stoner, 35 internal 40 external.

Stoner
    Free Member

finally got round to building these.
    Thanks to cooie for the s/h (but immaculate!) WTB i35 rims (£80).
    Laced 3x with an unscientific assortment of plain and butted Sapim spokes from the parts shelf (£25 if bought) to a new Deore rear and SLX29 (29er specific hub, no less!) front (£50 for hubs)

1,140g F, 1,320g R with Shimano QRs and Tesa rim tape. £160ish.
    They’re mighty meaty things. Stiff as hell.

Now just to sort out the tyres and some expensive tubeless valves…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘29 plus front wheel cheap?’ is closed to new replies.