Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 29 or 27,5?
  • federicomelone
    Free Member

i know it’s stupid, but i’m looking for feedback..29 or 27,5? i’ll eventually buy a new bike, and i’ve gotten used to 29.

frood
    Free Member

teadrinker
    Free Member

Try both. I love my 29er and next time i will no doubt buy another but will still try a 27.5.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pick the bike that works the best. Wheel size is like travel and angles, you need to look at it all together.

swamptin
    Free Member

Bike Radar did a test, about as scientific as these things get. Same rider, same conditions, same track, 3 different wheel sizes. Their conclusion was the difference between 26″ and 29″ was negligible. 26″ took the descents, 29 took overall average speed, 27.5 was the all round loser. So, according to this one study… I can safely suggest 29″. Needless to say, there are other factors in play. Not to mention the placebo affect of a new bike being ultimately ‘better’.
    Bike Radar Video

[edit]I forgot to mention… I ride a 26″ bike, so… I can only really supply the link.My opinions are worthless in the real world.[edit]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think the other conclusion to be drawn from the “Now for the sciency bit” was that is over exceptionally focused on XC race type riding and nothing more and should in many ways not be extrapolated to mean anything more than under the specific test conditions we used this was the outcome.

ononeorange

Don’t forget 26″………!

rOcKeTdOg

27.5/650B+ #ftw

CheesybeanZ

69er

dufusdip
    Free Member

Ignore the size and go for the one that fits the best and that stirs your loins (or that you get the best deal on).
    Otherwise you’re in danger of getting six pages of opinions based on myth or justifying the writer’s previous choice.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Buy whatever you like the look of / ride of the most.

I replaced my 26inch hardtail with a 650b one and I do t think the wheels make a huge difference, I prefer the new bike because it fits better (the old one was too small).

wrecker
    Free Member

There are good and bad bikes in both camps. Buy a bike not a wheelsize.

peakyblinder
    Free Member

I assume you once rode a 26er? Well the 650b is like that in terms of wheel size bar a negligible difference (mostly made up for by big tyres on my 26er).

A 29er is a 29er. (And is obviously better ‘cos it’s bigger ‘innit?)

deanfbm
    Free Member

If youve 29er now, give 27 a go, what have you got to lose?

Im pretty sold on the 29er tho, coming from a bmxer who uses a mtb very much like a big bmx.

What sort of bikes/riding are you looking at?

muddy9mtb

after seeing the article in MBR yesterday (may edition) about the introduction of another 2 wheel sizes (650b+ and 29+) I thought geees when and how am I going to update my fantastic 26 inch frame? 👿 I’m quite happy to ride 26 inch.. does anybody still make them?

kimbers

depends on where/ what you ride

I’m sticking with the old cliche of 29 ERS for xc and 650b for dh, which do you ride most of ?

I have a steel 29er hardtail and a 150mm 650b enduro smasher seems to cover all my bases, they are both more fun/ capable in different situations

I’d be very keen to try out one of the new 29er enduro bikes, but they are all quite spendy !

roverpig

I’m sticking with the old cliche of 29 ERS for xc and 650b for dh, which do you ride most of ?

I have a steel 29er hardtail and a 150mm 650b enduro smasher seems to cover all my bases, they are both more fun/ capable in different situations

I think that’s a common distiction. But if you want an “enduro smasher” wouldn’t it make sense for it to have larger (more smashier) wheels?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But if you want an “enduro smasher” wouldn’t it make sense for it to have larger (more smashier) wheels?

I’d pick the best overall package for what I was racing/riding and use that.

kimbers

Smashing only gets me so far in enduro,

I’ve only ridden a couple of 29ers and at 1.75 maybe i need to be taller but in jumpy or tight trails my 29er isn’t as fun or fast

chestrockwell

I tried the 650b version of my 29er and although I liked it I found that it felt like a calmed down version of my bike. It had the benefits of 29″ but not as pronounced if that makes sense.

My bike is 140mm FS. Having gone 29er I think I’d miss too many aspects to go back.

digga
    Free Member

Ah good, another customer for my patented, wheel-size divining machine.

Only £199.99* on fleabay.

*per month, terms and conditions apply. Your home is at risk if you leave the gas on etc. etc.

takisawa2

No, hold on there…24″ is about to make a comeback.

federicomelone
    Free Member

haha! i love the words like “smashier” 🙂 i guess i do feel kinda smashy on my 29er, and probably there was a reason why i left my old 26 behind years back… looks like most of you agree that either bigger is better or that i should follow my guts, so i guess i’ll stick with what i’ve got for now! it works!

chestrockwell

I’m bad for shiney new things but the 650b version of mine made me decide to hold on to the current 29er until something significantly better comes along.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘29 or 27,5?’ is closed to new replies.