Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 2*9 not doing it for me, what next?
  • titusrider
    Free Member

heya

running an Ibis mojo with 2*9

Bash/32/granny up front and 32-11 out back, running 9spd xtr shifters which is why I haven’t moved on so far (and prefer shimano shifting)

I keep dropping the chain to the inside through rough terrain and particularly when trying to ‘swap my feet’ by back pedalling half a stroke between corners.

I go to the alps on Saturday, any quick fixes? what is the ‘best’ long run option?

michaelbowden

are you usuing a 2x front mech. I had this problem when I first converted and just re-adjusted the 3x front mech.

titusrider
    Free Member

Correct it is just a 3* front mech with the limit screw wound in (and it therefore sitting well above the bash when viewed from the side)

didn’t even know there were 2* front mechs…

honourablegeorge

There’s a 2x-specific MRP chainjuide for the Mojo, although 2x chainguides are generaly not great.

1×10(11) is the answer, really.

transition1
    Free Member

Probably your limit screws not set up correctly on front derailleur or a worn chain, or too long a chain
    could also be stiff cogs in rear derailleur if dropping chain when back pedalling.

wwaswas

agree with a 2x front mech with a short cage.

Look at a Bionicon type chain guide too.

woody2000

Quick fix might be a Blackspire stinger or something like that to keep some tension in the chain. If you’re not spending – is chain too long, front mech adjusted properly etc etc

wwaswas

ooh, yes – you did shorten the chain when you took the big ring off?

bigblackshed

Pedal forwards not back. 😉

The dropping chain whilst back pedalling sounds like a symptom of a worn drive train. Check for hooking on the chainrings and the chain wear.

Also 2x front mechs have a different radius on the cage, designed for smaller chainrings compared to 3x mechs.

Northwind

1 chain tension, 2 recheck everything as it really shouldn’t be happening, 3 stick a plaster on it with a stinger or similar which should pretty much fix your backpedalling issue.

Double mech doesn’t make a lot of difference ime- easier to set up and a little bit less noisy but I don’t think it’ll sort you. I’ve got an SLX double going spare (lighter than XTR triple I think) if you want to try it for not much money but I couldn’t guarantee delivery before you go…

titusrider
    Free Member

chain was shortened, its pretty much right at the limit of how short. Drivechain might be too worn though… mmmmmm

What about hub compatibility these days? im pretty commited to my old skool 9 speed chris king ISO’s will that take 10 or 11 speed?

Northwind

10 speed and Shimano 11 speed no bother, SRAM 11 speed needs a specific freehub though maybe King make one?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Nothing intrinsically wrong with 2×9.
    As above, pedal forward not back. If chain is jumping off you may have a stiff link in your chain?
    To increase chain tension you could fit a clutch mech but I think they need some twiddling to work with 9 speed. Else get a front chain device as discussed here –
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/chain-devices-for-double-ring
    Else get hold of a bullet bros chain tensioner but you’re unlikely to get any of these before Saturday…

Northwind

9-speed clutch mech isn’t realistic here, it’s simple enough to do with SRAM 9-speed but not with Shimano so it’d mean replacing so many parts, you might as well just go the whole hog

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘2*9 not doing it for me, what next?’ is closed to new replies.