• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 29 Nobby Nic Evo TL Vs 29 Conti Mountain King II Protection
  • dickie
    Free Member

I’m after buying some new 29er tyres for a second wheelset. I’m running 29er Conti X-King Protection 2.2 on my current wheelset but want something a bit nobblier for the second set.

So I’m considering 29 x 2.25 Nobby Nic Evo TL 605g @ £23 (Merlin) or Conti Mountain King Mk2 29 x 2.2 Protection 740g @ £27 (Merlin)

How does the 2.2 Conti size up? narrow or same as a Schwalbe 2.25?
    Nobby’s fatter & lighter but the Conti has the added protection.

Any opinions on which is best?

Shackleton

Conti is narrow but tall. Good tyre though, particularly for wetter conditions. No idea about the new nobby nic.

chiefgrooveguru

The 2.4 MK2 is only fractionally larger than the 2.25 NN. The 2.2 MK2 is quite a lot narrower and smaller volume (same carcass at the XK I believe).

I presume the NN has a much less robust carcass because it’s so light for a fairly large & fairly knobbly 29er tyre.

dickie
    Free Member

OK thanks for the replies.

mboy
    Free Member

MK2 is narrower, yes, but it’s a vastly superior tyre to the Nobby Nic in so many ways. I’ve tried new NN’s, and they’re an improvement over the old ones, but they still tear up pretty quickly and struggle to bite, where Conti Black Chilli tyres just seem to last ages and find grip where the Schwalbe’s slide.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘29 Nobby Nic Evo TL Vs 29 Conti Mountain King II Protection’ is closed to new replies.