Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 29" front tyre
  • pb2

The forum search on 29" or 29" tyre did not work so I giving plan B a go and asking all the 29" loons on here what they think is the best 29" front tyre, happy to go UST or the normal tube way.

The tyre has to be light in weight and grippy, I'm less worried by the cost and wear factor as the bike is more for big multiday rides so its not going to be out every weekend.

Heres hoping the ST 29" riders can get me on the road by this weekend, thnx Paul B

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I use Maxxis Ardents, but the new Schwalbe Nobby Nic looks like its going to be good.

davidwazz
    Free Member

Paul – I did the TransPortugal on Hutchy Pythons. Not very light but pretty reliable. My current favourite is the Bonty 29-3. Light, reasonable traction in all weather conditions (excluding heavy rain) and they roll well. They also slip onto my Mavic rims very easily, unlike most tyres.

Tyres are a preference thing so expect to get 100 different answers! Also, where do you intend doing your events? This question is probably more important in determining your tyre choice.

And my next point is that if you can run tubeless!

NZCol

Have been running a WTB Prowler for, well ages, on both 29ers and its great.

Clink

Racing Ralph out front in summer. Just tried Maxxis Aspen out back and impressed so far.

Edit – ignore the bit about rear tyre!

Lactic
    Free Member

Another vote for the bonty 29-3, great summer tyre.

pb2

Thanks for all your replies. If I could get a 29" Nobby Nic I would, we are always behind the Americans on tyres, the American forums also reckon there is a 29" Mountain King ready to go. I'm hoping to get a tyre thats under 650grms as my legs need all the help they can get.

Sam

Another vote for the Ardent but they are over the 700g mark. If you are after light and grippy (in dry conditions) it's pretty hard to go past the racing ralph. Don't always play well tubeless though.

clubber
    Free Member

Any suggestions on what equates to a 26" Conti Vert which I like? How's the Race King? Any good as an all rounder?

Shackleton

Mountain king 2.4 if it is soggy, racing ralph 2.4 if it isn't. Both tubeless, and if I'm honest I don't like either with tubes as you seem to need to run high pressures to stop pinch flats. If you want to run tubes try the Ardent. The bonty ACX is a good all round tyre for either end.

But then it depends on whether you have suspension, how heavy you are, what your terrain is like and how you ride it…..

Shackleton

Clubber – Maxxis ignitor looks the closest to a vertical that I have seen.

Shak47

Singlespeed.nl for the Nobby Nic, got one a couple of weeks ago and swapped out the previous Racing Ralph for this up front.
    I had no issues with the Ralph, but fancied a NIC as I run a Nic/Ralph setup on my 26er, I found the Nic a bit slower on the first few rides but starting to appreciate it now, particularly the extra grip when braking on sketchy descents.

pb2

Shak47 big thanks for Nl link

pb2

Shackleton, its a going on Reba forks and an old protype Scandel frame with 29" up front and 26" on the rear, its one big experiment and no matter how hard I try I cannot get my lard arse weight under 200lbs and you can add another 15lbs for kit and camelback.

thomthumb
    Free Member

bontrager ACX in the slop

or racing ralph 3 seasons.

ignitor and vert pro although having similar shape knobs don't ride very similar due to the much lower profile of the ignitor.

njee20
    Free Member

The new Rocket Ron 29er, lighter and grippier than a Ralph, quicker than a Nic.

tazzymtb

bontrager 29.3 2.3 front 2.0 rear combo is the best I've found so far for peak district rocky bits/cannock kitty litter/hanchurch sloppy ploppy mud.

Wasn't that impressed with ardents,aspens are good, love schwalbe tyres but ralphs and rons can have interesting latex spewing moments when playing with stans rims after a while as the bead can stretch a bit and let go quite dramatically. The furious freds were epically quick but definitely not a front tyre!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘29" front tyre’ is closed to new replies.