Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 29 er Rims
  • nashwaymule
    Free Member

Hi help please
    Built up my 29er Yeti Big Top over christmas and have had serious issues with the rear wheel and continually breaking spokes. Bikes awesome but the rear wheel doesn’t like my weight and riding style.
    Currently running Hope pro 2 hub on stans crest rim the rim is now warped so I keep breaking spokes. I want to fit a more abuse proof rear rim as the crests won’t live with my riding style. Also as I am going single speed soon a sturdier rear rim would be a good idea.
    Other than the stans rims anyone any experience of 29er rims and can suggest a suitable replacement for me to use??

jameso

I like my P35s, give the tyres a great profile, but learned quickly not to go so low on pressure that the tyre bounces of the rim.. there’s harder rims out there but they do make a pretty strong wheel on a Hope SS hub (no dishing)

jota180
    Free Member

Mavic TN719s have lasted well for me

takisawa2

Mavic TN719’s here, built on Surly Singlespeed hubs by my own clumsy hands. Given fair bit of abuse & no ill effects to report. Also tried a TN117 & despite my fears due to its £22 price tag, its running perfectly true still.

Have looked at Stans for a new wheelset but having held a TN719 rim before lacing, & being amazed at how little they weigh given the job they do, I’m struggling to see how Stans have lost the weight without losing some strength. Plus they don’t have eyelets, & I think this makes the quality of the build all the more crucial. My clumsy building skills are best suited to eyelted rims for now. 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

I have quite a few salsa rims that I havent managed to make a mess of

Also Sunn Equalisers are good vfm if you can find them.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Pacenti Tl28’s…bit spendy though.

andyl
    Free Member

I take it you have considered a Flow?

TooTall
    Free Member

Stans Flow and Halo rims have coped with my lardcore oafish riding without a single problem, ever. I weigh 250lbs and ride like a dumbass.

jameso

I weigh 250lbs and ride like a dumbass.

I’d buy what he says )

or Flows based on 26″ use, ideally these if they offer rims from the wheelset – http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=2548

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I run Flows on my Solaris – no probs here.

Also run 26″ Flows on my SC Nomad – again no probs and done the red at Fort Bill and black run at Laggan on it.

singlespeedstu

I’d go with either Flows or these for a little less cash.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=83919

I’ve been using Flows on a few different bikes for a few years now and only managed to damage one so far. Even that was a freak break when I fell onto the wheel and put my knee through a couple of spokes. 🙄

The WTB rims I’ve linked to are basicly the same rim as a Flow but a touch cheaper.
    Interestingly the WTB’s that came on my TB LTc have eyelets in them even though all the pictures of them I’ve seen are eyeletless.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘29 er Rims’ is closed to new replies.