Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • 29+ curious… Show me your 29ers running big rims and/or tyres
  • Paceman
    Free Member

I’m 29+ curious… Show me your 29ers running big rims and/or tyres.

Here’s mine currently, but I have plans to go bigger I think…

Nipper99
    Free Member

2.35 Noby Nic on the front with 2.2 Conti Race King on the back (both equal volume but the NN is wide to the outside of the knobs) on AM all mountain wheels (28mm wide. I think the NN comes up as big as you can get without going to something like a Knard.

Swift 001 by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

Paceman
    Free Member

Nice ride Nipper 😀

I’m running a similar set-up, 28mm Stans Flow Rims with 2.35″ Hans Dampfs. I think there’s room for a Surly Rabbit Hole and Knard tyre up front though.

Clobber
    Free Member

I’m running my swift with a Knard on a dually up front.. its a lot of fun when you get the pressure correct for you.. so much grip and rolls over everything! No pic tho, I am away from home

Edit: you need a wider fork from Sam for the Knard tho..

Paceman
    Free Member

Interesting 🙂

Clobber, what have your experiences been with the tyre pressures on the Knard?

Clobber
    Free Member

I like it at 12-13psi but I am fairly burly, I imagine a lighter rider would require less.

jameso

The usual 2.4″ Ardent on P35s, enough for rocky stuff and seemed huge to me a couple of yrs back but just normal now. Would like a 45-50mm rim and something like the new Maxxis 3″ or a 650B+ up front for the rougher rides but not sure I’m fussed about any more at the back, geometry compromises considered etc.

Paceman
    Free Member

The new Maxxis Chronicle 29+ tyre looks like a 29×3 Ardent. That could be a great tyre.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/03/06/taipei-cycle-show-first-look-maxxis-mammoth-and-chronicle-fat-bike-and-29-tires/

Paceman
    Free Member

Anymore out there? 😀

bikeneil
    Free Member

It might be me but all these just look like regular 29ers

tazzymtb

Its only a 29+ with a knard or other 29 x 3″ rubber. A wide rim and a normal 29 tyre just makes a normal 29. The size difference is significant.

Nipper99
    Free Member

So, are knards any good on say leaf mold over hardpack or other slippery conditions – looks like the would just wash out.

Paceman
    Free Member

My Charge Cooker isn’t 29+ yet but I have plans to go that way. Stans Flow’s and 2.4’s are pretty good but I expect 50mm rims and 3″ tyres such as Knards or the new Maxxis Chronicles to be better :mrgreen:

weeksy

Meta am29 with Nevegal 2.4

OCB
    Free Member

My Swift with 2.4 Conti Mountain Kings (Mk1’s) on Salsa ‘semi’ rims (30mm).

The fork is a Salsa Enabler fork (135mm OLN), so the 2.4 front might look a bit lost in there, but (in my experience) those tyres do feel pretty substantial, and offer tons of grip. The plan was to go to a fat-front/29+ at some stage, but I’m dithering, as I keep getting distracted by fat bikes. I’m not sure I’d notice quite enough of a difference (just) going to 29+ now.

Duffer
    Free Member

My Inbred will have a very similar setup to James’ Jones up there. 2.4″ Chunky Monkeys on P35 rims. P35s will take a Knard also, so perhaps i’ll have to experiment one day (obviously i’ll never get a Knard in the back of an Inbred).

I’ll post some pictures up when they arrive!

Paceman
    Free Member

Looks like more frames are coming out that work with 3″ / 29+ front and back this coming season. No bad thing IMO.

Sam

I’ve been using Knards on Duallys up front and 2.4 Racing Ralph then Ardent) on dually in the bac back for a while now and love it. The Knards are great in hardpack to dryish loam, but don’t have a lot of bite. Word is that we will see Chronicles in the UK in October.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I’ve found the Knard to be pretty rubbish in soft/muddy conditions, I’m waiting for better rubber before using my 29+ wheel again 🙁

ratherbeintobago

Out of curiosity, does running a 5cm bigger tyre upset the handling at all?

Does anyone think WTB’s 650B+ has a future for this (bigger tyre on a similar external diameter to a 29er tyre)?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Hans Damfs on Crests

Clink

eddiebaby – is that a Trigger? How do you find it?

motorman
    Free Member

44mm rims & Knards

Paceman
    Free Member

I’m hoping 29″ Surly Dirt Wizards and Maxxis Chronicles will available in the UK soon. They both look they’ll give a nobblier 29+ alternative to the Surly Knard.

letmetalktomark

I’ve a Dually/Knard combo on the front of my Fortitude with a Flow rim (large) 2.1″ out back.

The front set up is really confidence inspiring, even more so (IMHO) than a suspension fork, for just ploughing through things.

No idea what PSI I’m running. Enough to reduce squirm.

The front set up replaced a 2.4 Ardent on a Flow. There really is no comparison – the Knard is huge!

Wouldn’t want to try a Knard on anything narrower than a Dually.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

@ Clink It is indeed a Trigger 1.
    My opinions may be a bit valueless as its my first bouncy bike and I’ve not done any decent trail yet but here goes.
    It is fast. Very fast on the Ridgway. Running it in 80mm mode at the back seems fine but get a moderate descent and flick into Flow mode and it like the bike settles into armchair mode.
    Hardly done any decent stuff yet, mainly just Ridgway and commute but I only want to ride this bike.
    Going to Swinley this Thursday, wait for an update. Just gone tubeless – only valves and sealant needed as the rest is already set up. Minor creak from BB sorted by tensioning BB Preload. 600 miles, no issues.

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

I’ve got the same model of Swift as Nipper in medium, but with White Brothers Solid Carbon Forks [490mm A-C].

I’m running Stans ZTR Flow front & rear, with Racing Ralphs 2.25 front & 2.40 rear.

HTH.

Clink

Thanks eddiebaby – what size?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Medium. I’m 5’10” and it is spot on.

Clink

ta

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Travers Angus running a Rolhoff.

Next to a 26er

800 miles in and I’m loving it.

http://www.traversbikes.com/

Paceman
    Free Member

JohnClimber … now that’s what I’m talking about, love it 😀

A true machine for an adventure.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Holy crap – the BB looks really high on that! Loving the look of it though! How does the rear end compare to a normal high vol 29er tyre?

swavis

Inbred with an ECR fork, running a Dually rim + Knard on the front and a Ringle MTX33 with a 2.4 Ardent on the back. Love it!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Johnclimber, is the Angus in production now?

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

Motorman- I love how that 9zero7 looks; is it the angle? It looks kinda short and tall?

Any excuse to post a pic of mine! This has a Velocity P35 on the front with a Knard. Theyr’e good tyres, but I think more of a heavy touring/dry trail tyre. Been finding out its limitations recently-
    Wet rock, no.
    Thick dust, no.
    Packed dirt, damp sand, woodland, gravel, all that sort of thing is right where it’s comfortable.
    To be honest, although the P35 is ok, I really do think the wider Duallys and Rabbit Holes would definitely help bring out its good qualities. Plan is to save for a Dually and bring the P35 to the back.

takisawa2

I tried a Krampus for an afternoon, at Cannock Chase.
    I thought the Knard was fine.
    Didn’t find it woefully lacking on any particular terrain.
    As a bike, it was ace but the frame is a bit of a gate. If they could shed a pound or so, do a nice 853 version for example, it would be nice.

motorman
    Free Member

Mebbies the angle with the big wheels on it??

Paceman
    Free Member

Motorman, how different do you find the 29+ Knards set up compared with the full-fat Nates?

Nice ride by the way, another tool for adventuring and ripping up the woods :mrgreen:

Paceman
    Free Member

My Charge Cooker with Rabbit Hole rims…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘29+ curious… Show me your 29ers running big rims and/or tyres’ is closed to new replies.