• This topic has 51 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by 5lab.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • 29" aggro hardtail. ..talk to me
  • sefton
    Free Member

recomend me a 29er for big days in the lakes and trail centres. got the horn for steel but open to ideas. nothing xc orientated as i have a xc bike

cheers

andytheadequate
    Free Member

Production privee do sexy 29ers. Stanton Sherpa and Onza Payoffs are not quite as ‘aggro’ as they’re designed for 120-130mm travel I believe but both well thought of (I like my Payoff, although it has a 27.2 seatpost).

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Stanton Sherpa.

Clink
    cokie

Last Fastfoward V2
    Pace r127+
    Nukeproof Scout 29
    2Souls Quarterhorse
    Canfield EPO, Yelli Screamy & Nimble 9
    Niner ROS

sillyoldman

Genesis Tarn 29
    Zealous Division
    Kona Honzo has to get a mention for being one of the first of this ilk.

I’ve got/had all of the above – all fun bikes!

jruk
    Free Member

I’ve looked at pretty much all of the above and discounted them as generally the reach isn’t enough. With the the Honzo I can’t find a frame only or get an idea of weight, and the Tarn is £600 for a standard 4130 frame.

Now, a Solaris with a slackset and and another ~35mm on the reach…

sillyoldman

£600 Tarn is with a carbon fork. Appreciate you may not want it though. Complete bike is nice.

Reach on medium Honzo, medium Tarn and Lrg Zealous are all in the same ballpark.

Bigmantrials

I will add the NS Eccentric Cromo 2017 into the mix too, frame availability is March (or so CRC have said to me).

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

generally the reach isn’t enough

btr ranger – reach can be customized if not already long enough

edhornby

Pact battlecat ?

coomber
    Free Member

Genesis will ride super nice I’m sure from what others have I’ve ridden

I wouldn’t get hung up on tubing. It’s their customers mojito or whatever its called. Honzo is also cheaper tubing isn’t it? Ie not Reynolds 853 etc

coomber
    Free Member

From my bad memory from desperately wanting a honzo I thought the original steel weighed a ton something like 6.5/7lb?

Northwind

Remember you have to take into account sag when considering reach- it makes a surprisingly big difference, I’d kind of discounted it myself til I saw the actual numbers.

Scout is as stiff as a stiff thing which imo is a huge drawback in a hardcore hardtail, just constantly costs you grip and control… But other folks like that.

jruk
    Free Member

@coomber – I’ve tried getting some info from Kona on the Honzo a couple of times and they’ve not replied, but you’re prob right on the weight from what I can find. It’s pretty ‘robust’.

Would like to find a few more independent reviews of the Tarn.

coomber
    Free Member

Interesting reading btr’s opinion on hardtais. Ranger being 100mm on the 29er. I’d agree a hardtail doesn’t necessarily need massive travel to be “hardcore”

coomber
    Free Member

There was a good thread on here where someone reviewed the tarns and it was a good read. Within last few weeks I think (injured so living on here at the moment).

here it is:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/genesis-tarn-20-or-29

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

Interesting reading btr’s opinion on hardtais. Ranger being 100mm on the 29er. I’d agree a hardtail doesn’t necessarily need massive travel to be “hardcore”

I had reservations about 120mm travel on the 26″ frames being enough but I couldn’t have been wronger – the frames are a bit spendy but well worth the money

london_lad_liam
    Free Member

Conviniently pink bike did this recently

The Sexiest AM/FR Hardtails

Sure something in there will tickle your horn.

All the most show arnt 29er but most do a 29 version/equiv.

LLL

jruk
    Free Member

@coomber – Thanks for the link, it’s a good read but it feels a bit ‘sponsored content’ to me – great photos, well written, not much else on the site (probably a really unfair comment so happy to be corrected!). Will see if I can get a proper go on one.

Edit: just read the ‘about us’ page and yep, sponsored content.

djflexure

My son likes his Radley Bigwig.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You lakes based? Can cock a leg over my payoff if you’re handy for conistonish

Clobber
    Free Member

Singular Buzzard? Selling one in XL if you’re interested…

core

Buzzard was way ahead of the curve, don’t think people really got it at the time, Sam should have sold lots of them, and would have if he launched in the last 18 months I think.

Clobber
    Free Member

Buzzard is ace, but it’s too much bike for where I live, was massive fun in the lakes tho and BPW

swanny853

Friend of mine has the the ros 9, it’s a lovely bike.

Interestingly (to me at least, i was looking at one at the time) if you build them up with the same (29, not plus) forks and wheels it has pretty similar geometry to the trek stache, so perhaps that as a left field option with different build options?

TomB

My thread from 3 months ago Here. Ended up getting a full sus 29er………

duckman

I have s Vitus Sentier 29 as my hardtail and love it, light and capable and strangely comfy for an Aly hardtaul.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have a Chromag Surface that I couldn’t be more delighted with. Reach is nothing out of the ordinary I don’t think, 453mm on my M/L apparently, so may be too short for what you’re after.

🙂

Clink

Buzzard was way ahead of the curve,

Came after the Honzo, Canfield bikes etc. Certainly not the first LT 29er hardtail.

funkmasterp

Trans AM is a great 29er, weighs the same as the moon, but is a very capable bike. I’ve had it with fork at 140 and 120. I think it works better at 120. Honestly don’t notice the weight when riding it and it’d probably survive a direct hit from an asteroid.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve got a Kona Honzo with 140 forks and a -2 angleset, it is weighty at 32.5 lbs fully built but I love it. Once you get it going nothing stops it.

Surely steel hardcore hardtails are always going to be bulky things.

If you want lighter then the kona taro is almost exactly the same geometry as the Honzo but made from aluminium.

Always wanted a Transition transam but they’d feel short and steep now. Only thing that would tempt me away from the Honzo right now would be the Last Fast Forward or Swarf, the BTR is just too expensive.

kimbers

The honzo is also available in aluminium , ti and carbon too these days

The 2017 model has an even longer reach

I really want one!

jruk
    Free Member

@kimbers – I’ve just seen that on the Kona site they say you can buy an alu frame only… Now if only they’d respond to me when I tell them I want to give them some money…

matt_outandabout

The Honzo would be top of my list, if I had money to do a build rather than complete bike…

thepodge
    Free Member

kimbers – The honzo is also available in aluminium , ti and carbon too these days

Sorry yeah they rebranded the Toro as an Alu Honzo.

BillOddie

I have Chromag Rootdown, it’s bloody ace! It’s effective the Taiwanese version of the Surface.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JKK9xW]2016-07-31_07-36-03[/url] by Dan and Claire Lees, on Flickr

They also now do the Primer which is a big Gnar-er than both.

Before settling on Rootdown, I looked at the Transition Trans-am, Kona Honzo, Stanton Sherpa, Banshee Paradox, Titus Fireline Evo, On-One Parkwood, Cotic Solaris.

There are clearly other options now…but I’m not sure any of them would sway me from the Chromag.

Kamakazie

Also interested in this although I’d happily go with alu this time.
    Not much choice there either as all the best frames seem to be 27.5 (Crush, Bird Zero etc).

cokie

450mm reach on the medium Honza ’17! The rest of geometry looks good, but only 68′ headangle. Would have liked 64-65′ headangle for it to be perfect.

coomber
    Free Member

@jruk – sponsored content. How disappointing. Sorry I didn’t notice that. MBR gave it 4/5 this month or last though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘29" aggro hardtail. ..talk to me’ is closed to new replies.