Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 29+ advice needed – South Downs
  • DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Mulling investing in a 29+ bike, specifically a Stache 5. Anyone got any experience of riding 29+ in the South Downs? Seems like the perfect bike for down this way.

Any tyre or lighter wheel recommendations? How do lighter tyres like Chupacabras hold up over flint?

dovebiker

Numerous jaunts along the SDW on my rigid 29+ including a 200+ miler last summer. During a night-traverse I was able to out-descend everyone, even full sussers as the big wheels simply bomb the descents and loose flints. Downside is that big wheels can be hard work on the long climbs like Firle Beacon and the tyres don’t really work on really-churned-up winter conditions like Old Winchester Hill’s ankle-deep slop that I was ‘surfing’ down on my 5″ fatty the other week. Never had any problems with punctures running tubeless (Knards) so expect the same for Chupacabras.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Good info, thanks. Impressed by a Downs double! Interesting about the climbs.
    What bike were you riding, if you don’t mind me asking?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Clink

I’ve just got a Stache 5 for long xc stuff. Bit early to say much about it, but happy so far. Set up with Jones carbon loops.

dovebiker

Bike is custom titanium 29+

Now sporting a pair of O-O Mary bars.

Wasn’t quite a proper SDW double, but did involve a full-traverse but hope to be making an attempt at a 24hr double in the summer.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Old Winchester Hill’s ankle-deep slop

Its hard enough walking up in those conditions, can’t imagine what its like on a bike of any description

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Hmmmmm listen to nobody…. Get the 5. It’s friggin’ awesome. I have 5 bikes. 4 of my bikes (including silly expensive bouncy bike) have remained in the shed… Unloved)

doncorleoni
    Free Member

The chahabacacacacahahahau@poauuuacacacacaacacra tyres are really pretty good if set up tubeless. They weight about the same as my 26 dh tyres (850 ish g). 500 miles and smiles so far and not a single issue (swinley / sh / qep)… Even commuted a few times and not a single puncture.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Brilliant, think I’m convinced, cheers all!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Doncorleoni – pray tell why it’s so awesome please. I can see potential, but I’d be worried about losing suspension up front. Does the 29+ front tyre really provide enough bounce to render suspenders unessessary?

Clink

No rigid bike whatever front tyre/fork combo replaces suspension. The advantages of directness, climbing and lightness plus reasonable comfort with the right tyre/pressure/forks/geo/bars make it a choice for some.

dovebiker

Missing suspension depends on your riding style – if you ride with your nose over the front tyre then you’ll find it harsh. Sit back, relax and let the bike run and you’ll be surprised at how fast the big wheels can go – I’ve not encountered any situation (yet) where it’s got out of control and enjoy pushing it in races and had situations where guys on full-sussers have crashed simply trying to keep-up! I’ve had comments like “a bike like that shouldn’t go that fast”

noltae
    Free Member

@Dovebiker – That’s one heck of sweet bike !!

gaidong
    Free Member

Noob “+” question. Are there any 29+ bikes that ride properly with standard 29er tyres as well? I mean you see bikes advertised as “27.5+/29” so is “29/29+” not just workable but good? Obviously thinking about covering fat and slim with the same frame, would you just be left with massive mud clearance or would BB height and all the geometry change? Sorry for any unintended daftness…

avdave2

The newer Trek Stache is supposedly built to run 29 29+ and 27B+

dovebiker

Noob “+” question. Are there any 29+ bikes that ride properly with standard 29er tyres as well? I mean you see bikes advertised as “27.5+/29” so is “29/29+” not just workable but good? Obviously thinking about covering fat and slim with the same frame, would you just be left with massive mud clearance or would BB height and all the geometry change? Sorry for any unintended daftness…

No reason why you can’t run regular 29 wheels/tyres on a 29+ but as you notice, ride/BB height will be a bit lower. I designed my frame to have regular BB drop, so it rides like a normal 29er with ordinary tyres. Wheelbase / chainstay /front-centre a little big bigger too – makes it very stable so only really disadvantaged in the tight’n’twisty stuff

gaidong
    Free Member

Thanks Dovebiker. I need a garage…

matty456
    Free Member

Anyone run 29+ on a Karate Monkey? The front will be no problem fork space is wide and tall, but what about the space at the rear wheel? Rims and tyre recommendations? Or can I use my current rims? think they are 27mm id.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘29+ advice needed – South Downs’ is closed to new replies.