Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 28t single ring chainset? ?
  • turbo1397
    Free Member

Hi folks. Trying to build up a 1×11 setup, but I’m looking for a 28t single ring. All I can see is 32 or bigger.. can anyone shed some light on it?

thomthumb
    Free Member

either need direct mount or granny BCD from double/ triple.

sram have 28t chainsets.
    absolute black make 28T 64bcd rings

monkeyboyjc

You’ll need a chainset that is direct mount compatible rather than with a conventional spider – 28th is just too small to fit on a 110mm BCD spider.
    Something like a sram x0 / XX or raceface…..

Jeffus
    Free Member

Raceface do a 30t NW

mboy
    Free Member

Raceface Cinch system cranks allow you to mount down to a 26T direct mount chainring…

Any of these that say “cinch” in the name basically…

http://www.raceface.com/components/cranks/

Or the higher end SRAM cranks (XX1, X01, X1) feature removable spiders, so you can fit a direct mount ring onto these too…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I got a direct mount one from Wolftooth components in the states. Was lucky to avoid import tax, so if you are hit with it then it’s expensive. You can get them from works components but I wanted one that you could attach a bash guard to and Wolftooth were the only ones that seemed to do a SRAM direct mount with holes for a bash guard.

They now do Stainless Steel ones too.

whitestone
    Free Member

Raceface and Hope do 30T 110BCD NW chainrings, you’ll need different chainring bolts as the chainring itself is threaded

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Yeah but he’s looking for a 28.

brickwizard
    Free Member

I changed my 32t sram X1 that didn’t have removable spider to an X1 that did, then removed the spider and fitted a direct mound chainring which is available in 28t. you can also buy a steel sram 28t for about £16 but there is a weight penalty
    hope this helps

roverpig

I just use the granny position of a shimano triple chainset with a bash ring mounted to the outer position. Seems to work just fine.

dovebiker

30t is the smallest you can fit on a conventional 104 BCD spider – to go smaller you can use inner position on a double/triple crank or go direct mount.

gkeeffe

The cheapest 28t crank is a race face Aeffect.
    http://www.ubyk.co.uk/m/product.php?CI_ID=29879

Then you need a 28t cinch ring.

turbo1397
    Free Member

@roverpig. That looks like what I want to do.. I take it I just need to get a hold of a double and use the inner ring?

roverpig

I can’t remember offhand whether the BCD of the granny ring is the same for a double and a triple chainset. I used a triple (since that’s what I had) and a 28T Absolute Black NW ring. I also needed some shorter bolts (also from AB) in order to mount the Hope bash ring in place of the two outer rings, but maybe you don’t need that if you use a double instead of a triple.

turbo1397
    Free Member

What cassette you using? I want to run an 11-42?

roverpig

It’s an XT cassette with the OneUp 42T range extender. I’m also using an XT clutch mech with the RadCage. Not sure if that’s strictly necessary but it all works well.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Carbon Ti direct mount for Sram crank. Expensive but very good

MadBillMcMad

@turbo, what wheel size, kind of riding do you want it for & how strong are you ?

On my 26er I run a 30T (104BCD) with a standard 10 speed 11-36 cassette.
    This is hard but manageable up long or steep climbs but I don’t tend to ride it more than 3 hours.

On my Fatty which I use for bikepacking I have chosen gearing so I can keep going with a laden bike up the hills. So I went for a cinch chainset with a 26T chainring & a 11-40 cassette. With this gearing I can keep going all day. 🙂

To give you an idea, I am an OK fit 52 year old but no athlete.

turbo1397
    Free Member

I’m building up a carbon tallboy Ltc.. I do the odd trail centre- but most of my riding is big day outs like torridon, skye etc.

bumper
    Free Member

fsa do a comet/afterburner megatooth 28t chainset.

dovebiker

I run a Turbine Cinch with 26 ring and 11-40 on my fatbike – sometimes in deep, soft conditions you need to pedal ‘soft’ to maintain traction – hammering a big gear simply results in digging a trench followed by a walk.

greyspoke
    Free Member

The minimum toothage for a 4 arm compact (104mm bcd trad Shimano mtb) crank is 32t, but you can get 30t unramped fat-thin rings with a built-in spacer, which simultaneously move your chainline in a few mm to a better position and stop the chain fouling the ends of the crank arms (which it would do if you fitted a 30t flush). Similarly, the minimum for a 5-arm compact (now a bit obsolete 94mm bcd) is 30t, but you can get a 28t from Wolf Tooth Components with a built-in spacer etc. as above. The only peeps who currently make a 5-arm compact to my knowledge are Middleburn (I have 4-arm and 5-arm spiders for my Middleburns and run a Wolf Tooth 28t). Then again, Middleburn now do a SRAM spider which allows you to use SRAM XX1 11 speed 76mm bcd stuff, but I got my Middleburn stuff before all that came about. Basically, if you had had the foresight to purchase yourself a set of Middleburn cranks, it would just be a question of getting the correct spider and away you go.

turbo1397
    Free Member
    gkeeffe

Yeah,

If you look around you might find Aeffect crank and 28t ring as a package which is cheaper

turbo1397
    Free Member

Got the chance of a sram 1×11 x1 setup. Does anyone know if I can fit a 28t chairing on this?

SirHC
    SimonR

I use one of these on a set of cheaper OEM SRAM cranks with a removable spider:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/north-shore-billet-sram-1×11-replacement-spider/
    Allows the use of any SRAM-compatible 11-speed rings.

brickwizard
    Free Member

I have 30T direct mount on sram x1 with removable spider on GXP bottom bracket, I bought the chainring off here 2nd hand how can I check its the correct 6mm offset? I have heard some are 0mm offset some are 6mm

turbo1397
    Free Member

I’m going to go for the raceface aeffect cranks with a 28t chairing from ubyk can get them both for £105 which I think is a good price. Just need to find myself a 1×11 mech, shifter and cassette!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘28t single ring chainset? ?’ is closed to new replies.