• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Gee76.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 28 hole, 29er rear wheel?
  • blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I have some good quality lightweight 28 hole hubs going spare. I want to build them into a light but tough 29er wheel set.

Will they be stiff enough? Especially on the back? It’s to go on a 120mm travel Nike, that’s used for general trail riding. I’m around 72kg so nor too heavy.

I’m not sure whether a rim like an arch mk3 will be stiff enough? Or maybe a light bicycles carbon job?

mattyfez

4 more spokes on the back isn’t much weight, im not sure I’d skimp forbthe sake of a few gramms personally.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I had a specialized enduro 29er hire bike for a few days and it had a 28 spoke rear wheel, can’t say I noticed any flex. I was riding some tough trails with rocks and jumps etc and weighed about 100KG including kit/water etc.

For general trail riding I think you’ll be fine as long as you use a good rim and spokes, i’d go for a DT Swiss EX 471 personally.

If I was building wheels from scratch, i’d go for 32 hole but if I had really nice 28 spoke hubs, i’d just use them.

papercutout
    Free Member

New Trek X-calibers (and presumably Superfly’s etc) come with 28 hole rims/hubs, so look at Bontrager suff.

philtricklebank

The 2016 Nukeproof 290’s were on 28 spoke SRAM Roam/Rails. Make of that what you will.

13thfloormonk

Yep, got a shock when I realised the wheel set on my new Superfly was 28 spoke. Holding up fine so far and I’m not exactly flyweight…

jimw
    Free Member

My DT Swiss XM1501 29er wheels have 28 spokes, they seem perfectly stiff enough and I weigh 90kg.

I also have a 29er rear wheel with only 20 spokes that has lasted nearly four years and is still as straight and true as the day I bought the bike. Thats is certainly stiff enough

hatter

DT do the XM481 in 29″ 28 hole, good mix of weight, width and toughness.

If you were a bit heavier or riding a bit more ‘gnar’ I’d nudge you towards the tougher EX rims but you should be fine with XMs.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Spank Oozys here with 28 holes back and front. Holding up superbly well. Six months in and perfectly true. I think I notice some flex sometimes (it’s hard to tell!). What I have done though is not gone lower than 30psi after wrecking my Hope Enduro rear running lower pressure.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

thanks for the feed back.

I think ill give them a try

Gee76
    Free Member

28 holes dt Swiss hubs here with dt revs and…. Carbon rims too!!!… No spontaneous combustion as yet 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘28 hole, 29er rear wheel?’ is closed to new replies.