Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 27.5ing a Prophet.
  • granny_ring

Looking for some feedback from those who have done it and how it compared to the norm?
    Does it ride better, worth doing or is it a compromise?
    Did you also adjust the head angle with WC headset?

TIA

Ben_H

I’m afraid I don’t have the experience you’re after…

…but I just wanted to add for reference that a 26er rim with a large volume tyre will be comparable.

For non 27er reasons, I’ve just stuck some 2.4s on my 26er and the rolling circumference is very close to a 27er rim with 2.1(ish) tyres.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

…but I just wanted to add for reference that a 26er rim with a large volume tyre will be comparable.

For non 27er reasons, I’ve just stuck some 2.4s on my 26er and the rolling circumference is very close to a 27er rim with 2.1(ish) tyres.
    😀
    Straight in with that old one on the first reply. That’s just rubbish. In terms of the ride qualities, the differences between a 2.4″ tyre and a 2.1″ tyre will far outweigh the difference between the wheel sizes. And why even compare the two things, if you’d want to run 2.4s on 26″ why would you run 2.1s on 27.5?
    I’ve no experience of it on that bike, but there’s no reason that the head angle will need adjusted, it’ll be lifted the same amount at both ends.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Kitten please

granny_ring

Helpful start there then. 🙂
    Already run 2.25s and would still want to.
    Any Prophet owners out there? 😉

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

My Rush is 27.5. It raises the BB a bit obviously but the BB was insanely low anyway. It’s nice mile muncher now.

A new lease of life for the old bird.

shifter
    Free Member

^ That, just looks RIGHT.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Yep, not bad for a 7yr old frame.

Shame Cannondale didn’t release a 27.5 Rush, the new one is basically a Rize.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Did you make any changes to the Lefty, or is it just the bigger wheels?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

No change to the Lefty, plenty of clearance when I took the air out and slammed it down.

The rear shock was shimmed from 110 to 100mm.

z1ppy

Shock was shimmed down? How’s that work?

granny_ring

Looks nice Chunky.
    Still going to ask if any Prophet owners have done the same!

cookeaa

Kitten please

DK
    Free Member

I put a 27.5 wheel on the front of my prophet and it felt sweet.
    Obviously slackens the head a tiny bit but it just felt good.

bigblackshed

Just hold off the kitten killing for a moment.

650b on a 26er frame. Why?

graemethejock

I run 650b on my prophet.in the slacker shock setting the rear tyre will buzz the seat tube on full travel so I run it in the xc setting and have used some offset bushings.i have a 650 b specific fork and the bike rides fine.the bottom bracket is obviously higher because of the larger wheels but I can say I’ve noticed it.you can always run a shorter shock in the fr setting if you want to drop the bb height.cant bring myself to get rid of it still a classic frame.

loddrik
    Free Member

Here’s a novel idea, just run it at 26″, because in real terms, the ride quality is, y’know, **** all different.

zippykona

Is a 2.1 650b bigger than a cyclo cross wheel? I know cross wheels fit a mount vision and I just happen to have a spare frame.

loddrik
    Free Member

If I were a marketing man, on a performance pay basis, I’d want to work selling stuff to mtbers, specifically new stuff that make u fasta

chip
    Free Member

granny_ring

Hence the question in the first place loddrik……
    Forums are wonderful things, sometimes people actually answer an OPs question with helpful answers and sometimes not.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just don’t want to see people wasting money for no reason. I care…

zippykona

If man didn’t ceaselessly bodge we’d still be living in a cave.
    Let’s salute these noble wheel warriors as they set off for radii uncharted.
    My Marin wore these one winter. Worked well.

chip
    Free Member

Maybe the ops wheels are shot and does not want to splash out on expensive 26″ wheels when he will probably be replacing the frame with something newer and probably 27.5 in the not to distant future so if they will work would live with it for now.

Or

Maybe he just wants 650b wheels for the sake of 650b wheel.

Either way it is still a reasonable question. And asking why is still a reasonable response.
    I don’t know if they would work or if they will be a compromise so can not answer his question but if the op wants 650b for the sake of 650b wheels I would save my money but that’s just me.

granny_ring

I’ve not definitely decided to do it, having seen a couple of threads on here I just wanted feedback to see if those who tried it noticed if it rode better, worse or just the same!

It’s just one of the few ‘projects’ that I might just get around to, not even tried the 29er thing yet. 🙂

Thanks for input anyhow.

Good work zippy!

slackalice
    Free Member

There may well be some useful info on the MTBR forum for 27.5

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘27.5ing a Prophet.’ is closed to new replies.