Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 275/26 cotic soul?
  • superfli
    Free Member

I love my soul 26,but find myself wanting a slacker ha on steep descents. I was thinking of getting a 275 soul and sticking a 26 on back plus a 140 fork? Anyone done this? Opinions?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

it sounds special!

deviant
    Free Member

I see what you’re trying to do there and it would probably work, the smaller wheel at the back would probably ensure the bottom bracket isnt too high with a 140mm fork too…but it would look hideous in my opinion.

Can your Soul take an angleset/slackset?….i think the new ones have 44mm or tapered headtubes which can take an angleset….that would be the route i’d take.

Failing that there are frames like the Dartmoor Hornet that are designed around 140-160mm forks and have a slack head angle….possibly find an On-One Summer Season on eBay, thy were slack as hell even with short forks!

honourablegeorge

Stanton Switchback is probably what you’re after

NormalMan

BFe?

Northwind

I chased the “like a soul but slacker” thing for ages, closest I found was the Ragleys- if you can find one you can probably pick up a Ragley Ti for about what a new Soul costs. It doesn’t feel like a Soul, really, but it has the same sort of waggy-tail attitude.

(my Soul ruined me tbh, I went through a ton of other frames and none could compare til the Ti)

I’d already sold it before anglesets became a thing but I’d have tried one otherwise.

jimmy

I think you’ll ruin a beautiful thing. 140mm forks on my 275 soul feels on the cusp of wrecking the handling but copes on the descents (obvs the descents). Although, I’m trying to think how a 26″ rear would different to, say, 160mm forks.

It feels wrong to me.

chiefgrooveguru

Which era of Soul are you on? I know I could put a -1 deg angleset on my Mk2 which has a 1 1/8 headtube. What forks & headtube size?

superfli
    Free Member

I’m on a mk 2 soul at moment. Worried that the seat tube angle will be slacker and damage the climbing ability. 140 forks on regular would raise bb, but 26 on back would lower again. I had an angleset a few years ago and it creaked and bearings lasted 1 month! Not got much faith in them tbh, it was an on one job, so maybe not upto works quality.
    I rode nya and dyfi at the weekend and fell in love with the soul again!

souldrummer
    Free Member

I’ve got an old 26inch Soul with 1 1/8 headtude, and I put a 1 degree Works Components Angelset on it with no problems. Makes it more fun on the downs, and seems to have had no adverse effect on the rest of the riding.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Have you tried a stock Soul275? Cy was kind enough to lend me one for a week. It felt like it handled much closer to my Rocket than my Soda – wheelbase is longer, and the BB is a bit lower between the axles, so it corners a bit more like a slack full sus. There also seemed to be a lot more edge grip available, although that could have been down to the silly large 2.5 Conti tyres fitted. I found it really confidence inspiring DH, but a bit of beast to climb with – possibly due to the size/weight of the tyres again. Bucket loads of traction, just very draggy.

chiefgrooveguru

Are you on 140s at the moment? Straight post or layback?

superfli
    Free Member

On 130mm with hilo post, so not a lot of lay back.
    Would like to try a medium soul 275 with short stem actually. My soul is a small, might be a little to small. No demo around south though

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘275/26 cotic soul?’ is closed to new replies.