Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 27.5" Wheelset, is hope pro 4 worth it over pro2
  • craigofscotland
    Free Member

My orange crush needs some new wheels.

I love pro2s ive on one of my full bouncers. I reckon I could get some in a deal somewhere (Suggestions welcome) or pick up 2nd hand.

Reckon it’d be worth dropping the extra dollar to get pro4s? ive seen the propaganda vid and they look great but in real terms for a normal bloke on a bike, would I even tell the difference?

Enduro hope hoops or stan flow rims perhaps.

Open to other wheelset suggestions …

STATO
    Free Member

The bigger bearing in the freehub alone makes it worth considering, ignoring the minor improvements due to changes in flange sizes.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

I’ve no idea on the ‘improvement’ that Pro 4 brings but I may have a pair of wheels that you might be interested in. Firstly sorry for the shameless plug.

I have the wheels that came with my Whyte 909 that are totally unused, Hope Pro 2 rear hub with 40 tooth engagement and WTB Asym I23 rims, with Tubeless strips fitted and valves supplied, the front hub is a Whyte branded generic sealed bearing job with 15mm thru.

The full spec is on the below link and I removed the tyres, discs and cassette when I got it so the wheels have never been used. I’m looking for £200.00 posted – let me know if you’d like any pics adam.buckland@hotmail.co.uk

http://whyte.bike/gb/909-2/

Cheers

darrenspink
    Free Member

Yes, because they last so long you may as well get the latest and greatest.

ade9933
    Free Member

these get a decent review…

Easton Heist – Bike Radar Review

scotroutes

I thought about this for the last hubs I bought but since I already have some Pro 2s – and the tools to service them – I decided just to go with the older model.

bigblackshed

I’ve got Pro2 on both my bikes and they’ve been faultless. I’d have more in a heartbeat. BUT if I was buying new wheels I’d go for Pro4, just because. They are very, very nice.

And Hope Enduro rims over Stans cheese every time.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I would definitely go for the new ones just because they are new. I don’t like buying old models of anything. Hope are a bit different though because they support their products very well for years after they have been discontinued.
    But you may find that there isn’t much difference in price between the old and the new. I think hope said in one of their Pro4 videos that the new hubs are the same price as the pro2 evo’s. The hope dealer I use order in from hope to suit instead of holding much stock so prices I would expect to be the same unless they had old stock of pro2’s they needed to shift.

dmorts

In the sales I recently picked up a set of new Pro 2 Evo hubs for £110 (they were from different shops). Pro 4 looks like an incremental improvement, rather than a big leap over the Pro 2 Evo.

Worth looking to see if you can find Pro 2 Evo at a good price

benpinnick

I’d probably pay a £50-£60 premium for the Pro4, I think thats what its worth when considering the improvements and the lifetime/resale value. That said, I would rather a set of Pro2 Evos built on some other rims than the options that you get as standard in if the price were the same.

I _think_ Hope have dropped Stans rims now BTW, but I am not 100% sure on that.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I’ve got Pro2 / Enduro wheelset and very happy with them so far (few months). Had Flows on Pro2 before and they were faultless for three years.

Personally I’d not buy any wheels Easton make, certainly not over Hope.

If I were buying new now I’d go Pro4 for reasons stated above.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Hope have dropped Stans now Ben, obviously as they were competition. A tad lighter even with a wider rim?

benpinnick

Hope have dropped Stans now Ben, obviously as they were competition.

Ha yeah, something like that.

A tad lighter even with a wider rim?

I’d go a fair bit lighter I suspect, probably a build on an XM481 rim for an all round trail wheel.

Northwind

It definitely looks like a nice upgrade tbh but there’s really nothing wrong with the Evo apart from the averagey sealing, it’s already a really good option and great value in a wheelset… so personally that’s where I’d want to know there’d been an improvement. Might be worth checking out DT350s as well but there you lose out on front adjustment and the good value wheelsets (I don’t think hope hubs are a great standalone buy personally, it’s the Hoops that shine)

(rims… Flow Ex is a bit left behind imo, DT and WTB both have newer, better products out. Hope’s rims seem pretty uncompetitive to me but i’ve not used em)

DiscJockey
    Free Member

This is really only my opinion, but Hope don’t rush things – when they release something new, it’s generally always better than the previous generation, and certainly always worth the money.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’m musing this one at the moment.

If you’re not in it for the boost or the orange colour then there are still enough reasons to pick the Pro4 over the Pro2 Evo.

Just at this very moment in time there is still more choice for wheels with Pro2 Hubs, they’re being sold cheaper and likewise I’ve got all the tools and a variety of spare parts lying around for Pro2’s. This doesn’t make it an easy decision…

But I’ve decided to think long term, and I’ve ordered some Pro4’s and I’ll build them onto some rims I’ve bought from elsewhere.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

I’ve just built some Pro 4’s on Easton Arc27 rims. With plain guage spokes they came in at 1910g.

For a full on Enduro/Trail wheelset i consider this good. They also sound and look amazing! Would definitely go Pro 4 over Pro 2 EVO

richardkennerley

i went for this deal a few weeks ago. the same wheelset in 26″ form has been problem and maintenance free for me for a couple of years, totally fit and forget. For that reason i can’t see why pro 4 would benefit me and i reckon this is a pretty good price. One set left i think
    http://www.mantel.com/uk/hope-hoops-pro-2-evo-arch-ex?spec%5B%5D=3277&gclid=Cj0KEQiA_fy0BRCwiLaQ5-iFgpwBEiQA884sOR__xJ36yNlp8JqrveKB5IRHs2eVx3OYG_w5V_88z-4aAn7x8P8HAQ

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘27.5" Wheelset, is hope pro 4 worth it over pro2’ is closed to new replies.