Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 27.5+ wheels on a 29er
  • sofabear
    Free Member

I’ve got a Commencal Meta AM29 which I’m wondering about swapping the current 29″ wheels for 27.5+.

To my mind this should be quite straightforward subject to any frame clearance issues. Am I missing anything obvious?

Apologies if this sounds like a simple question but I want to be sure it’s worthwhile before spunking cash on new wheels. I must also admit that I’ve not read anything about 27.5+ bikes/wheels so am happy to be schooled.

🙂

roverpig

One thing to watch is that BB height will drop by a cm or so. Do you get lots of pedal strikes with 29er wheels? If so, you might find 27.5+ a pain.

sofabear
    Free Member

roverpig – Member

One thing to watch is that BB height will drop by a cm or so. Do you get lots of pedal strikes with 29er wheels? If so, you might find 27.5+ a pain.

Thanks, one thing I hadn’t considered. I don’t get many pedal strikes fortunately. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

here

and

here

Fill yer boots.

STATO
    Free Member

Hi. I have recently just built up a MetaAM29 and have a set of 27+ wheels to go on it. The chainstay on the AM29 is quite generous and wide at exactly the right point for 27+, however the seat-stays are a little narrower. Ive not ridden it with them yet but ive tried a few of the available options in the back to see how much room there is.

On a 45mm WTB Scraper a 3″ nobby nic has barely a few mm each side, too tight. A 3″ WTB bridger is equally close. A 2.8″ trailblazer has plenty of room.

On a 35mm Velocity rim a 3″ nobby nic has a little more room, but still looks likely to rub. A 2.8″ trailblazer has plenty of room.

I will hopefully receive a set of 2.8″ Nobby nic tomorrow I plan to try for fit at the weekend so will post back how that goes.

Having just built the bike up with 29er wheels Im still setting it up but found the back really plush even with a lot of air in, to the point I was getting pedal strike a bit. Maybe I need more air but im still playing with it so fitted 3 red bands to my monarch shock which seems to give it some good progression. Im not going to ride the 27+ till ive got this sorted (as id be selling them if they will lead to pedal strike, and ill get more ££ if they are unused :0) ) but will give feedback if I do, seems like shock tuning will work out so hopefully soon.

Here is mine with its 29er boots
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/E2E4dh]Untitled[/url]

sofabear
    Free Member

@Nobeerinthefridge and @STATO – thank you. 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

Right, finally got the 27.5 x 2.8 Nobby Nic on the back (yes that’s still a 29er in the front). Clearance is good, close on the seatstays but perfect at the chainstays, better than with a 29 x 2.3 infact. Its bloody draggy though! Not one for long days in the saddle.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FcZkqo]Untitled[/url] by Richard Elsdon, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FoF6cB]Untitled[/url] by Richard Elsdon, on Flickr

thepodge
    Free Member

You say its not for long days so is it worth it on short blasts or do you think 29 is better if only for simplicity?

STATO
    Free Member

Need to ride it a bit more to decide really, I wouldn’t want to drag it round a 50mile loop that’s for sure, but ill be keeping it for playing on local stuff or off-piste at trailcentres. Comfort is great, grip is good for traction but still slides a little so good fun on rooty and rocky. I think ill get a rocket-ron to try as that looks a bit more of a useable all rounder.

There is more comment from experienced folks in the other threads. I was posting as a follow up of my previous post as its specific about this bike.

thepodge
    Free Member

Yeah I read most of the other threads but they seem biased towards people who like rigid bikes and frame bags not 130 travel am bikes

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Read the mag review on them for full sus bikes? Not the most convincing read…

thepodge
    Free Member

STW mag? I don’t buy it, Dirt mag seems to love b+ as does pinkbike, I’m slightly more inclined to believe Dirt being that they modified a normal 29er not reviewed a bought in b+

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Read the mag review on them for full sus bikes? Not the most convincing read…

Aye, but it was one persons opinion, was it not?.

I fitted a 2.5″ WTB breakout on the back of my spectral (140mm front, 130mm rear) as the 2.8 NN was just too close for comfort to the chainstays (still have the 2.8 NN up front). Been using it for a month now approx, and I’m now struggling to see an occasion when I’ll choose to refit the 29er wheels.

The grip on rooty singletrack is wicked, climbs like stink too.

I loves it I do.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As valid as any other?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Absolutely, but you wouldn’t base your cycling choices on ONE persons opinion, would you now?. You’d decide on a number of variables, local terrain etc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Firstly I’d have a go, the review of 3 bikes was well written and thoughtful I thought. More balanced than the evangelical fat following 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

I was thinking the 2.5 middle ground might be the way to go but there are just too many options

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Firstly I’d have a go

Which is what I’m doing.

More balanced than the evangelical fat following

Agreed, I bought a used fat bike last year, wasn’t for me though. I don’t see this as a plus bike, just my old bike with slightly bigger tyres.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d give it a go without dropping the cash 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

I’d also like to do it without dropping the cash but I’m the guinea pig of the group so I don’t know anyone with a set I can try

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s not a huge layout, the way I looked at it was that I didn’t own a pair of 650B wheels, so even if it didn’t work out, I’d have a nice set of wheels to use in the future. plus tyres are pretty easy to sell on too, so not much of a loss there.

I got my lbs to build me a set of Novatec hubs on WTBi35 rims, cost less than 300 all in.

thepodge
    Free Member

300 on an experiment is probably a little more than I’d want to be spending without some certainty it was going to work

slowboydickie

I’ve got B+ 2.8 on i35 rims on my ROS9. Absolutely cracking. Haven’t noticed extra pedal strikes.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘27.5+ wheels on a 29er’ is closed to new replies.