Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • 27.5+ Steel MTB
  • andykirk
    Free Member

Hello

Looking for a 27.5+ (3″ tyre) steel frame or complete…. any recommendations? Rigid or suspension fork 120-140mm travel for general hill duties. No super slack head angles either.

Was going to go for a Surly Krampus with 27.5+ wheels but I have finally realised this is probably not the most sensible option due to BB height.

Thanks for any help.

coomber
    Free Member

Ragley bigwig?

Clobber
    Free Member

singular swift

whitestone
    Free Member

Cotic Solaris Mk2 redesigned to take 27.5+ wheels/tyres, the Mk1 will take them as well if there’s any left in your size.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Marin Pine Mountain 1

drovercycles
    Free Member

Genesis Tarn?

gringo

Stanton Sherpa?

Sam

Agreed on the Swift 🙂 New version has had a few little tweaks to work optimally with either <29×2.4 or 27.5+ tyres. Leaving Taiwan this week (finally…) so will be available in January.

andykirk
    Free Member

Thanks…. a couple there I hadn’t considered.

Sam – do you have any more info on this ‘new’ Swift?

sharkattack

The new Bfe?

In what I think is the best colour scheme they’ve done…

drovercycles
    Free Member

That ^^ Cotic is very nice indeed.

andykirk
    Free Member

BFE looks great…. but alas is not a 27.5+ from what I can see….

sharkattack

Damn I didn’t even notice the ‘+’

I wish people would decide what a mountain bike actually is again.

rOcKeTdOg

Cotic Solaris Mk2 redesigned to take 27.5+ wheels/tyres

only up to 2.8 though, OP wants 3.0

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Last fastforward?

Bregante

I’d be waiting for this

Sam

– Back to the old blue but with a black downtube panel.
    – slight reshaping of chainstays to work well with any 27+ tyres.
    – added rear rack mounts
    – added bottle cage boss under downtube
    – slightly slacker head angle and longer rake fork
    – option of fork with anything cage mounts

That’s about it, everything else the same as the previous batch.

Sam

– Back to the old blue but with a black downtube panel.
    – slight reshaping of chainstays to work well with any 27+ tyres.
    – added rear rack mounts
    – added bottle cage boss under downtube
    – slightly slacker head angle and longer rake fork
    – option of fork with anything cage mounts

That’s about it, everything else the same as the previous batch.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Stooge

andykirk
    Free Member

Thanks Sam… is that new followed by the existing model?

Also can the existing Swift take a 3″ tyre front and rear?

Sam

No, they are both previous batch – blue one is in the livery of the new ones. Yes, even the old (cream) frames will fit a 27.5×3.25 and the new ones will have a smidge more clearance.

Rik
    Free Member

Sam – you fancy showing us the new geometry charts?

rOcKeTdOg

Will it take a 130mm fork? 😉

TimCotic
    Free Member

What about the Cotic Soul 275? It’s very light for steel and has great clearances and versatility. Have a chat with Cy at Cotic – he’s on it and has lots of interesting things to say. 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Last fastforward?

This went on my list as soon as I missed the kickstarter.

Looks mad as a box of frogs.

akira

Jamis dragon slayer looks interesting and ticks all your boxes.

andykirk
    Free Member

Tim, what is the max tire size for the Soul?

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

And while we’re talking about the Soul…. has anyone heard anything about a Soul with a 148×12 rear? From what I’ve read the boost standard is here to stay?

142x12mm even

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not 650B+

The solaris does though, as mentioned way up there —^

And while we’re talking about the Soul…. has anyone heard anything about a Soul with a 148×12 rear? From what I’ve read the boost standard is here to stay?

It may be, but if you can get the rear tyre in past the caliper then it’s not really necessary.

And:
    142mm = 135 with some tabs to make getting the wheel in/out easier (like a big version of a QR rear end) rather than having to line it up and slide the axle in. It’s no wider than a normal hub.

Boost is a wider axle all together. The extra 5mm gives a better chainline around big tyres and helps when squeezing big tyres past the brake caliper and mech (there are 135mm fat bikes, but you have to deflate the tyre to get the wheel in). TBH I don’t see the point, if chainlines an issue, designers offset the rear wheel, Specialized have used offset rear wheels for years.

TimCotic
    Free Member

My mistake – I should make it clear I’m not connected to Cotic – I’ve just owned several of their bikes (hence the username). 😳

I was confusing the Soul275 with what Cy told me about the Solaris 2 as I wasn’t looking for a fat rear end for myself.

The Soul275 will take a 2.4″ tyre on a Stans Flow (good enough for me) in the rear and whatever you want at the front (depending on the fork).

The Solaris 2 will take a 27.5 plus WTB Asym i29 rim and (I think he said Trailblazer 2.8 but check with Cotic) in the rear. You Can combine this with anything you like up front (fork dependent). Cy said he’d tried the wider Asym i35 rim on rigid front ends with the the 2.8 Trailblazer for more sidewall support and less squirm.

I think that’s the gist of my conversation with Cy – but check this before you spend money!

Ps. there is some comment about the choice of quick release rear ends on the Geek section of the Cotic website.

Sam

Sam – you fancy showing us the new geometry charts?

Don’t have a version which is postable here as yet but if you are interested drop me an email and I can send you a pdf. They are pretty much the same as the current Swift with the exception of a little slacker head angle and addition of a small size.

vincienup
    Free Member

Left field, but why 275+ and not go the whole fat hog? You’ll have a lot more choice (and traction) although you’ll probably struggle to find anything nice in steel and everyone will ask you if you’ve seen how big your wheels are and tell you about snow and sand 🙄

I like the look of the Farley 9…

Sam

why 275+ and not go the whole fat hog?

For me the advantages are speed, versatility, and width.

27+ is lighter and rolls faster than full fat while giving you much of the traction, roll-over and floatation benefits of fat.

You can easily swap in some regular 29″ wheels if you want to, great for people who already have 29″ wheels around.

You have standard width hubs and BB. I don’t really like adapting to the wide Q on a full-fat bike.

Plus, you don’t have to answer quite so many ‘jeez, look at those wheels’ questions.

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ good sum up

singlespeedstu

For me the advantages are speed, versatility, and width.

27+ is lighter and rolls faster than full fat while giving you much of the traction, roll-over and floatation benefits of fat.

You can easily swap in some regular 29″ wheels if you want to, great for people who already have 29″ wheels around.

You have standard width hubs and BB. I don’t really like adapting to the wide Q on a full-fat bike.

Plus, you don’t have to answer quite so many ‘jeez, look at those wheels’ questions. Riding a fullfatbike gives you terrible face muscle ache from the constant Grinz™. Riding 27.5 + gives you the lesser Smirkz™ which is less tiring over longer distances and more Enduro terrain.

NormalMan

singlespeedstu – Member
    Riding a fullfatbike gives you terrible face muscle ache from the constant Grinz™.

Totally get this. Even looking at my fatbike makes me smile. I love it.

andykirk
    Free Member

Well…. maybe I should actually have a shot on a full on fatty. They always look…. well… slow and hard work.

Sam – I assume the 1 1/8th head tube is staying? To be honest that’s the only thing that puts me off the Swift.

singlespeedstu

Totally get this.

I’m not sure you do. 😉

NormalMan

You’d be surprised 😉

bonesetter
    Free Member

I don’t think he does either

Fat Grinz are a bit like single speed grinz.

The type when you’re using every body muscle, even using your eyelash muscles (as I’ve seen Stu doing) to get up a climb

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘27.5+ Steel MTB’ is closed to new replies.