Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 27.5 rim de jour
  • ehrob

Had an awesome time in the alps last week, but my AM Classic Wide Lightning rear rim didn’t make it. To be fair it stayed in one piece, but it is cracked all over, so a replacement is needed.

The Mk3 Flow would be my default choice as I’m looking for something a bit tougher, but still around the same internal width as the AM Classic (29mm). I know the EX471 is a tough rim too but a bit narrower.

Anything else I could consider?

stevied
    Free Member

EX511 or XM481?

deviant
    Free Member

The bike snobs will hate this but…Superstar XX27 rims are brilliant, got them in 15/142 combo for my trail bike and also 20/157 for the DH bike I sold at the weekend.

Strong, light, cheap…pick two, is the traditional response.
    Nonsense I say, with direct sales bikes and companies like Uberbike and Superstar you really can have all three now…the only thing holding most people back is brand snobbery.

Give them as go, the rim is 27mm internal width (as the name implies) and the XX denomination is Superstars intended use guide…they can be used and abused basically… i also have some EX23 rims which are 23mm wide and more trail/enduro related.

If you’re happy paying a bit more they do the Alpine-30 rim (which I also have, yes I know I have a problem!)…it’s a lovely deep dish rim with a true 30mm internal width and looks indestructible but the EX23 and XX27 wheels I’ve been using have been so good I’ve had no need to fit them to anything yet!

jamesoz

deviant – Member
    The bike snobs will hate this but…Superstar XX27 rims are brilliant, got them in 15/142 combo for my trail bike and also 20/157 for the DH bike I sold at the weekend.

Strong, light, cheap…pick two, is the traditional response.
    Nonsense I say, with direct sales bikes and companies like Uberbike and Superstar you really can have all three now…the only thing holding most people back is brand snobbery.

I have some Superstar EX23 Rims and side by side they look like copies of my Hope Enduro rims.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member
    Tracey

Just having some Ex511s built up on the cheap CRC DT Swiss 350 hubs. Im told they are the wider version of the 471s. Going to be our spares for the Alps after Kevin managed to buckle a Roval carbon in a crash. Didnt think 24 spokes were a good idea for what he was putting it through

reggiegasket
    Free Member

ex511 or 471 depending on how wide you prefer

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m running EX511’s on my DH bike without issue so far. Built up on Pro 4’s they’re pretty light too.

Running Easton ARC30’s on my hardtail and rate them too; no dings etc yet despite low pressures. They survived me wobbling about Ard Rock just fine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘27.5 rim de jour’ is closed to new replies.