• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 27.5 plus tyres and winter gloop ?
  • iainc

wondering how the current tyre offering shapes up for winter muddy use ? I last looked at this option a year or so back and concluded that a Tarn 20 style setup wasn’t a viable replacement for my Soul 26 with Purgs, for winter dirty rides.

Seeing some of the recent activity, and deals on the Tarn’s has got me thinking…

Would be very much winter bike, west of Scotland natural stuff, plus some bikepacking etc in the summer. Have an Anthem for bigger stuff and trail centres.

Thoughts ?

roverpig

I ran a Cotic Solaris as a plus bike for about a year. The WTB Trailblazers were fast but couldn’t cope with the (East Scotland) winter. The Nobby Nic (2.8) coped fine with our east coast sandy/peaty mud (plus some snow) though.

woody2000

I have a Marin Pine Mountain with 3″ NN which worked fine in the slop on Monday’s night ride. Still experimenting with pressures so I think there’s probably a bit more grip to come too 🙂

Roll pretty well too

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Would be very much winter bike, west of Scotland natural stuff, plus some bikepacking etc in the summer.

Realistically, how often do you bikepack? Lots? then worth a consideration. If not, then ‘normal’ tyres are better for WOS riding IMHO.

I did get a wee bit scunnered with the fickleness of tyre pressures tbh, others don’t mind.

clubby

With Maxxis DHR/DHR2/High Roller 2 now available in 2.8 there’s not a problem. I rode Rekons all last winter and they worked fine in all conditions but will be swapping to a DHF up front when i need a new tyre.

Go back 10 years and everyone was saying that 29er were rubbish in mud. We’re been told the same about B plus for pretty much the same reasons, which is the first wave of tyres are always fast rolling dry weather tyres to suit America. Now we’re getting the second wave of tyres it’s not an issue.

iainc

Realistically, how often do you bikepack? Lots? then worth a consideration. If not, then ‘normal’ tyres are better for WOS riding IMHO.

yeah, not that much TBH. I suspect that my old school 26 on 2.3 purgs would remain a better option for manky Mugdock…

firestarter
    Free Member

i intend to stick 29er wheels on my 27.5+ bike for winter tbh

chakaping
    Free Member

Same here.

Though the Schwalbe Magic Mary in 2.8in is gonna be on sale soon…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

yeah, not that much TBH. I suspect that my old school 26 on 2.3 purgs would remain a better option for manky Mugdock…

So many better tyres than purgs for that!

iainc

^^^ 🙂

I’ve got Nobby Nics too, on the other bike, just to add to your cringe 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They’re great tyres.
    In 2.8

scotroutes

NN 3.0

bedmaker

I’m using Surly Dirt Wizard 3.0 both ends on my bike now. NN’s were really very good, but the DW is miles better if there’s any moisture at all.
    Tread pattern is great, and the softer compound means they deal with wet roots and rock much more confidently than NN.
    They roll surprisingly well.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’ve currently got Minion DHF/DHR2 2.8s on my Hightower and the 29er Shorty/DHR2 combo was indoubtedly better in mud, but the pluses are better than I expected. When it’s really gloopy they tend to slide over the top of gloop rather than bite through it.

madxela
    Free Member

Another vote for NN 3.0 very good through peak district winter slop!

Del

Going out on wtb rangers shortly. Wish me luck.
    Dhf/dhr are on order.
    Turns out I didn’t save any money on tyres. 😐 😆

PolisherMan

Just swapped out the front WTB Ranger that came as stock on my new Tarn20, for a 3″ Nobby Nic. Superb so far for sloppy Pennine grinding paste. The Tarn’s ‘effing ace too!

tdog
    Free Member

Early days so far on 2.8″ NNs but so far so good and believe a psi lower both ends would improve things no end.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘27.5 plus tyres and winter gloop ?’ is closed to new replies.