Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • 27.5 plus " shocking grip in mud "
  • sheepshifter
    Free Member

Ibis mojo plus , bad habit plus and spark plus all ridden and felt a crock of s… off piste in mud. Bad geometry, bad tyre choice or is this generally the case?

ratherbeintobago

I’m sure there was a review in the mag that suggested they all slide a bit in mud.

Suppose it depends on the mud?

postierich
    Free Member

27.5 plus making the trails feel as there are alive 🙂

sheepshifter
    Free Member

Liking your new frame rich “stooge” ?

scotroutes

Yes, yes, they are.

(anything to avoid doing the same thread again)

Northwind

Float is the enemy of mud grip basically. Even a 2.5 shorty with its big wide spaced knobs can get a bit floaty on the wrong mud at speed, so a wider tyre with less knobs is at a disadvantage. Mudplaning.

Also, nobody makes a plus mud tyre. And most pre-built bikes seem to come with fast rubber, so straight away that’s pretty unfair, lots of nobby nics and rocket rons- you wouldn’t buy a normal bike with nics and rons or nanoraptors or whatever and be surprised when they sucked at mud.

sheepshifter
    Free Member

Thanks scotroutes , have I seen this posted before ? No if I had then the question for sure I would have no need to ask , reply much appreciated.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Think about why boats float and why they can sink if carrying a heavy thing.

Rickos
    Free Member

Well done druidh. Seems you got sheepshifter’s goat. 😀

But yes, fatter tyres rubbish in mud. That’s why pukka mud tyres are all skinny waifs.

sheepshifter
    Free Member

For what reason are the brands belting on about plus then , what are the advantages

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

IME < 2.0 tyres are nearly always better in mud. You want a tyre to cut through it and find some purchase.

If you’re the fat-or-die-trying type then a weight-weenie fatbike at warp-speed might just float over a good section of slurry before you bail 😀

munrobiker
    Free Member

Because if you don’t ride trashed sloppy trails they’re fast and a good laugh?

ferrals
    Free Member

I’m with Malvern rider on this

ratherbeintobago

Because if you don’t ride trashed sloppy trails

… you don’t ride at all, this not being California?

scotroutes

Rickos – Member
    Well done druidh. Seems you got sheepshifter’s goat.

I was only horsing around, but now I feel like an ass.

Rickos
    Free Member

For what reason are the brands belting on about plus then , what are the advantages

Summer bikes, innit. Then you have to buy a winter bike and the bike industry smiles.

They’re all fine if you live in California or Utah, but the MTB industry does always seem to look on the UK as a bit, you know, niche. Mud? What is this mud thing?, etc.

ratherbeintobago

Even in summer it can be horizontal rain and hub-deep mud.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Good lord, this thread again?!

Hardly takes a genius to see they aren’t going to be great in mud – what with being the exact opposite of a mud tyre….

mcnultycop

Better than a full fat bike though.

sheepshifter
    Free Member

I happen to work in the industry, very curious to get owners views , my feelings are that before this platform has built any momentum its days are numbered.

ajantom

I’ve not found the 3″ tyres on my Krampus any worse in recent muddy conditions than the tyres on my other 2 mountain bikes. I’m not running proper mud tyres on those though – 2.3 WTB Bronsons on one, and On-One Smorg/Chunky on the other.

The big tyres do seem to cope better with wet/slippy roots though, and there’s a lot of them around here.

Maxxis Chronicle on the front and a Vee Rubber Trax Fatty on the rear, normally at about 12 psi apiece.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I wonder if the new Maxxis plus tyres will be any better in the mud i.e. ones designed for European weather rather than Californian. I’m thinking of going for a 29er DHR 2 to a 27.5+ DHR 2 so in theory I should get a good idea on how much difference the extra width makes.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@sheepshifter, i definitely don’t think its days are numbered. They are a lot of fun when ridden in dry/damp conditions by riders that aren’t agressive enough to find floppy sidewalls a problem. They may not be great for a hardcore UK enduroist, but pretty sweet for a lot of other riders.

plus-one

Christ are folk still falling for the fat bike plus plus nonsense 😆

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I happen to work in the industry…

And you come to a forum to find out about them?

ajantom

I happen to work in the industry…

And you come to a forum to find out about them?

Saturday boy at Halfords?

boxelder

Why? Because I can run B+ in my 29er frame for non-mud, rocks etc where it’s a hoot. When it’s muddy I put the skinny 29’s back on. Oh, and it annoys some people who think we all have to ride and rate the same bikes, even though we ride different trails for different reasons.

ajantom

Christ are folk still falling for the fat bike plus plus nonsense

I’d say it’s very much area and rider dependent. I wouldn’t buy a full fatty for the riding I do, but a 29+ is perfect for a lot of the trails and type of ride I go on.

The terrain around me varies from pebblebeds, flinty earth, moorland, and a lot of sandy gravel. Lots of rooty singletrack too. Luckily it’s not too claggy – I grew up riding the Berkshire downs – a plus bike would be hell there 😆

Unless I’m specifically heading for DH trails or techy singletrack I’d class a lot of my riding as MTB green-laning – bridleways, unmetalled roads, moor and heath land trails, and the Krampus is spot in for bimbling and exploring. Mind you it’s no slouch and will happily hoon its way down singletrack too.

vincienup
    Free Member

It all depends upon the rider and the riders’ tastes is exactly right. I’ve had as many people try to talk me out of B+ as have told me it’s a great idea.

I’ve concluded that as usual I’ll need to make my own mind up and ride one sometime, when I’m ready to buy a new bike if I really like it. There’s really nothing wrong with my existing bikes, but I see the potential for a big cutting down as I currently have a FS 650B, HT 650B, HT 29er and HT 4″ Fatbike. Sidewalls are what really worries me at the moment. Once the industry loses the obsession with trying to make B+ tyres as light as possible and starts using real carcasses then we may see some progression.

STW does seem to have some fairly narrow groupthink at times.

legend
    Free Member

plus one – Member
    Christ are folk still falling for the fat bike plus plus nonsense

Just the mincers

scotroutes

Et viola!

Just the mincers
    [/quote]

vincienup
    Free Member

😉

rOcKeTdOg

I’ll need to make my own mind up and ride one sometime

You’re not going to get far around here with that sort of sensible clear thinking!

vincienup
    Free Member

Sensible *and* forward thinking!

I already know what happens if I ride a bike I really really like, which is why I’m not to going to go and play on one just yet. Plus (see what I did there?) it gives them time to start making real tyres!

muggomagic

When I first got my plus bike I did notice some of the occasional drift on slimey mud, but experience of riding the plus tyres and swapping out the stock Purgatory/Ground control combo for a pair of Nobby Nics has really changed my thinking. I also have a set of 29er wheels with Minion/HR2 that I sometimes use on the same bike and would have to say that there is more grip in the mud with the plus tyres.

Clink

I also have a set of 29er wheels with Minion/HR2 that I sometimes use on the same bike and would have to say that there is more grip in the mud with the plus tyres.

Ah, but what type of mud? 😆

rickmeister

Clink, that’s a whole new STW thread meme,

what mud for 27.5 B+

I want to use my B+ tyres this weekend, where is the correct mud for Hans Damf front and rear fitment ….

muggomagic

where is the correct mud for……

We need trailforks to add that info in.

Goldigger
    Free Member

And I was considering a fatbike for winter use, I can always put normal wheels on it I suppose with skinny tyres 😀

nemesis
    Free Member

To quote from another thread on the same topic…

I keep hearing that they’re rubbish in mud but I’ve been riding mine loads in slop – wet and slippy or thick and craggy and I consistently find it works well and I regularly have other riders comment on how slippery a trail was when I found plenty of grip.

Maybe I’m just a (mud) riding god.
    (Purgatory 3.0 front, Nobby Nic 2.8 rear)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘27.5 plus " shocking grip in mud "’ is closed to new replies.