Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • 27.5 Plus first ride thoughts.
  • brant
    Free Member

Size wise it isn’t that big for it’s claimed 2.8 size and the sidewalls are just too flimsy to run it at low pressure. It just squirms when pushed into and through corners if it is at a pressure that allows it to cushion and grip.

What width rims are you running it on?

nemesis
    Free Member

What’s “low pressure” out of interest? I’m on around 17-18psi on the front, 20 on the back

variflex
    Free Member

I run a trailblazer on the rear (scraper rims) @ around 15-17psi
    On the front Im running a 2.8 Vee Trax Fatty @ 10psi.

scotroutes

What width rims are you running it on?
    [/quote]
    Judging by previous posts, 35mm (don’t know if that’s internal or external though)

brant
    Free Member

MTBNut seems to have history with tyre issues.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/unpinchables-ii-the-battle-of-the-pinchburp-flats#post-7174791

Is it a local conditions, or (not being rude) rider mass issue?

Mbnut
    Free Member

35 external… the Trailblazer is definitely on the small side for a 2.8 and a supple sidewall is a supple sidewall, great for some aspects of riding but not for others.

As mentioned the Crown Gem is fantastic and something similar outback is in the pipeline.

As for the post on the other thread, I had picked up a couple of flats with the tyre cutting right near the bead. I suspect the rim wall width on the 35mm LB rims is a gnats too slim thus cutting tyres and cracking.

The fact is I am about 15st in riding kit and perhaps lack a little finesse.

Now on 38mm LB rims and the rim wall thickness is a touch thicker and the height of the wall is not as tall… fingers are crossed, I am on SG tyres now too for full on rough stuff but prefer the SS for day to day riding.

It is worth bearing in mind these issues only really arise when giving it beans on the rough stuff.

Brant… I will probably end up badgering you over at Pact…. worried about the hard to work with clause!!

Rik
    Free Member

Anybody else running Vee 27.5+ tyres?

The quoted weight for the Crown Gem is 910g is that accurate?

alexh
    Free Member

I ran a vee Trax fatty 2.8 up front. It rolled well but it’s side knobs were not great. Ok until you wanted to lean the bike and grip somewhat disappeared. It self steered quite a bit too.

2.8 purgatory was a lot better up front.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Does the purgatory come in 2.8?

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘27.5 Plus first ride thoughts.’ is closed to new replies.