Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 27.5 plus and 29er wheels, do you have both and do you swap between them?
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

From the Sonder thread some folks are mentioning that the ability to run 29 and 27.5plus is a good thing. Does anyone have both and changes them regularly depending on conditions or type of riding etc? Whilst having the option is great I wonder how many people actually do it or is it like travel adjust forks of yore and nobody bothers.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I have both but so far have just swapped them once per season – 29er in winter and 27.5 plus in summer. Plan to take both sets to the Alps and see how they compare out there.

scotroutes

I have both. The bike is primarily used for bikepacking so I’ll assess the terrain and fit accordingly – 29er if it’s a high proportion of road/hardpack, B+ if it’s mainly off-road/boggy/soft.

I also have both rigid and suspension forks for it.

TBH it’s almost always running the B+ wheels. I think it’s had the 29ers on 3 times, though that’s still over 500km.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yeah have both.
    Been running the 29 for racing and the 27.5 plus for mucking about in the week.
    A few swaps in the the last month or two!
    Change forks as well!
    Max

Alex

Yep. But then I somehow have acquired four plus bikes, two of which can run 29 or 27.5+ (1 is plus only, 1 is 29+ or 27.5+). 29er wheels are cheap superstar ones and used only for when it gets muddy. No plus tyre I’ve found so far is as good as – say – a 29×2.35 magic mary/hans damf combo.

Everything is boost so it’s just a cassette swap. Also have some WT Maxxis tyres I can stick on the plus only bike to give me more clearance and grip.

I prefer all the bikes on plus. I appreciate this is not a universally held opinion 😉

whitestone
    Free Member

Yes. Just swap the cassette from one to the other. The last change needed a little more fettling as I’d fitted new brakes to the bike so I needed to re-align the calipers but even so it’s ten minutes or so to swap.

My frame (Mk1 Solaris) is limited to 2.8″ (actually the tyre is more like 2.5″) in the back but the latest version will handle 3″ tyres.

A good way to get two almost completely different bikes – I think my comment when I got the plus wheels was that it turned a hooligan of a bike in to Begbie 😆

Northwind

I did, but I quickly found I just didn’t like plus as much- there were loads of times on plus that I’d prefer to have been on 29er and not that many when it was the other way round. So I stopped swapping and just rode it as a 29er, then sold the plus bits. Interesting option but didn’t suit me.

(now I have 2 sets of 29er wheels for it)

muggomagic

Yep have both wheel sizes. I like them both and convince myself one is better than the other whilst I’m riding whichever set up I’m on, then I’ll swap and think “hang on this set up feels great”.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘27.5 plus and 29er wheels, do you have both and do you swap between them?’ is closed to new replies.