Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • 27.5 plus
  • ceepers

Completely idle speculation on my part.

Has anyone actually ridden the new “best thing ever”? Is it worth being excited about or a niche too far?!

unknown
    Free Member

No idea, but I’ve ordered a Charge Cooker so I’ll soon find out. I’m no niche-monger and the wheel size debate bores me to tears, but I liked the look of this for the riding I do and the price was right. I don’t see it as drastically different from running big DH tyres for everything on a hardtail like me and my mates did in the 90s, and it was fun then…

ceepers

Actually it’s idle browsing of the charge website that sparked the curiosity

Northwind

I’m keen to try it tbh, apparently it works well in my 29er monster truck too but right now it’s a bit too expensive to buy into just to try, for me. I don’t think it has to be the best thing ever though, it just has to be different and interesting- a second set of wheels for a bike to give it a different flavour seems reasonable enough.

There must be something in it- the bike industry’s ignominious scrambling to get ahead of it and get hardware obstructions in place tells a story imo. “Aargh, a new thing that people actually want, which doesn’t need new frames and forks! This shall not pass!”

unknown
    Free Member

I actually chose the Cooker 1 over the slightly cheaper and much prettier Marin Pine Mountain 1 because it’s QR front and rear, meaning I can swap in/out a set of 29er wheels I already have with zero faff.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

its the runt offspring of 29+ don’t sell yourself short

scotroutes

My B+ frame is in Leeds!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Just check your new “plus” bike is future proof.

Will it fit the even newer 3.25″ tyres?

http://www.ridewill.it/p/en/duro-305650490-tire-mtb-275-black-275-x-325/78918/

singlecrack
    Free Member

Stooge mk2 is all you need

singlecrack
    Free Member

ti Stooge with B+ @Veetirecouk 3.25 front, 3.0 rear http://t.co/r00AQyR6Xo

somafunk

Never ridden one but I “get it” so that was good enough for me to order a 27.5+, after reading blogs and reports online over the past year from riders/folk who I have respect for so I have faith that I’ve not made an expensive mistake, I’ll find out for definite in January when I take delivery 😉

td75
    Free Member

Love the look of the Marin Pine Mountain 1. Tempted to sell the inbred 29er frame I was thinking of building up and getting one instead.

wiggles
    Free Member

Picking mine up today hopefully, not tried one other than a carpark test though…

tootallpaul

Been riding my Chubby Solaris for the last two months, and loving it. Pure hooligan machine.

Now looking to build a second set of wheels to fit to the Sawyer.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wNhopk]IMG_20150808_155042[/url] by Paul Stanley, on Flickr

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Paul,
    What tyres are you using? How much clearance at seat/chainstay?
    thanks

nemesis
    Free Member

Those are WTB trailblazers (2.8) by the look of it.

roverpig

I put some chubby wheels (TrailBlazers) on my Solaris as well. I must admit I’ve been suprized by the difference. Of course it’s not radically different, any more than moving from 2 inch tyres to 2.4 inch was radically different. But it is noticably different and the advantages seem to outweigh any disadvantages (at least for me), which is all you can ask for really.

ArcticBeast
    Free Member

27.5 and a 27.5 plus compared

timraven

Have to say, it’s the “new” wheel size that interests me the most.

gonna book a couple of demos. 😈

takisawa2

b+/29+ here. 😉
    Dually going on the back soon.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wBkr7V]IMAG0134[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

bianchiboy
    Free Member

Well got my Charge 1 Cooker on Friday and now done 35 miles over the weekend on it…so far love it,feels bombproof and will go over anything.

Need to play with tyre pressures i think and doesn’t feel as fast as my Spesh 29er but going to be a perfect winter bike i think.

alexh
    Free Member

I like my 27.5+ canfield yelli. I still really enjoy riding it but I do feel there are negatives too.

Prior to hitting the forest I had a play on a pump track I know. I was a good 10% slower per lap. I really noticed the extra rotating weight was affecting the Chuck-ability and the self steer wasn’t confident inspiring on the berms.

Once in the forest all is well and hooligan mode is back on. The comfort on the rear is great, the front isn’t as accurate as I’d like. I may slap a 29″ front in to see how that feels, or try another front tyre.

Its good, but magazines don’t tell the full picture and its easy to get ‘new upgrade’ blindness

brant
    Free Member

My B+ frame is in Leeds!

It’s in Hebden Bridge now!

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’ve got the upgrade blindness after last night’s hoon on the Stooge

Yes, the Vee 3.25 gives some self-steering on tarmac, but on the trail all is good

cokie

Bonesetter- Looks great! Is that the Scraper rim on the Mk1 stooge? How much clearance have you got with the Trailblazer?

firestarter
    Free Member

I wonder how things have progressed weight wise since I tried this out years ago. 26 3″ tyres in a 29er. Fun in the Mud and snow but awful on anything firm and weighed a ton

bonesetter
    Free Member

Cokie – yeah, MK1 and Scrapers

Wheelsets came up pretty lightweight feeling and clearance is ample with 2.8’s

The difference is pretty significant (Chronicle and 2.1 or something rear)

Highly recommended

singlecrack
    Free Member

Fire starter …that Karate Monkey is still going strong ..it’s been passed between a couple of my mates over the years and now it’s going back to one again…it’s like a pool bike

firestarter
    Free Member

Lol nice one 😉

wiggles
    Free Member

Have finished my Specialized fuse pro. So far so good will get some pictures and more of a review when I ride it properly at the weekend.

bonesetter
    Free Member

^^ look forward to that

wiggles
    Free Member

Took it out for its first ride, and wow!

Perfectly suits my (awful) riding loads of grip most of the time and climbs no worse than my previous 32Lbs 150mm travel 650b Fs.

Had to put some volume spacers in the fork but worked well. Will have to give it try and some other places to judge but was great on super steep loamy natural trails.

boxelder

Loads of cush and grip. Great fun – but then so was the CX with 35mm tyres today.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘27.5 plus’ is closed to new replies.