Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 27.5+ Fork advice
  • kenburg
    Free Member

I bought a Marin Pine Mountain 1 at the end of March, and I have been really happy with it. I’ve put in nearly 1000km on it and it has been great fun. I have definitely noticed that my bike handling skills/finesse have improved!

However there is the possibility that I could have a little free capital that could go towards a suspension fork. I wouldn’t get rid of the existing rigid fork, it could be handy to be able to swap it back for certain occasions (bikepacking?)

The trouble is I’m not sure (1) what to go for, (2) what will fit (curse you multiple standards) and (3) whether that will mean a new headset or front wheel.

I think that the PM1 has a tapered headtube (check out pic here: http://www.marinbikes.com/gb/bikes/description/2016-pine-mountain-1) so I assume that I need to find a matching fork or expect to add a headset to the cost of the project. Marin also say it is suspension corrected but don’t say for what length of travel. If I measure from axle to the bottom of the headtube I guess that will give me a target length for the sus fork?

The current rigid fork also has an old school spindly QR hub and I can’t imagine that many modern suspension forks will take that! So do I buy a new wheel, or just get a hub and ask my LBS to build up the old rim on to it? Again more expense!

And finally the big question: what fork? I have never had issues with Rock Shox so what do they sell that would take a 27.5+ x 3.0 tyre? That doesn’t cost the earth, after all the whole bike, with pedals and set up tubeless cost less than £800!

Any thoughts or pointers appreciated. I really don’t want to spend a fortune…

rollodes
    Free Member

I think to get a 3″ tyre with mud clearance you need a boost fork. I know that the rocksox reba boost 29er is perfect on my plus bike set up with 3″ tyres. I don’t know about non-boost but normally you cqn fit up to 2.8 in them. ref the hub being qr- you’ll just have to replace it. Novatec do good boost hubs for not much money.

rollodes
    Free Member

oh and 100-120 mm travel ill be fine on the Marin.

psycorp
    Free Member

I have a set of Fox 34 29″ 140mm and it fits a WTB Bridger 3.0 (on the larger side of 3″ tyres). They are mounted onto Alex Supra 35 rims for reference. Clearance may be an issue in gloopy mud conditions but I can’t get the tyre to buzz so it’s fine for general riding.

You’ll have trouble with a 3.0 in RS forks unless they are boost but most Fox, some X-fusion and MRP forks are OK from what I’ve read.

Just do a bit of research. MTBR is a good place to start.

metalheart
    Free Member

You might find something of interest in here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-joys-of-b-and-boost

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘27.5+ Fork advice’ is closed to new replies.