• This topic has 47 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • 27.5 for techy trail. Available options?
  • johanhej
    Free Member

Been searching for months for a new bike, and been literally driving myself nuts. I want to get out riding so badly.

I would’ve bought a 26 inch bike, but with all the brands more or less dropping these, it seems like I’m buying an outdated bike. I’m about 6 feet tall, so a 27.5 would probably be ideal. I’m planning on riding mostly technical trail, thinking something 130-150 FS with 67-68 headangle would be great.

Problem is, there is barely anything avilable. There are so many bike launches at Eurobike for 27.5, but everything seems to be ready for shipping during winter. I really want to get out riding right now, or atleast in the next few weeks. I’ve seen the Orange, but it doesnt seem like too good value considering the components.

So, what is there that I can buy that will suit me? I’d really appreciate any help I can get. I’m so torn sitting here searching for a bike.

roverpig

I’ve seen the Orange, but it doesnt seem like too good value considering the components.

Just buy the frame and put your own components on then.

woody2000

I would’ve bought a 26 inch bike, but with all the brands more or less dropping these, it seems like I’m buying an outdated bike

Do people really think like this!? Marketeer’s f***ing wet dream……

aracer
    Free Member

But he’d be so yesterday riding a 26er.

roverpig

Do people really think like this!?

It’s a self fulfilling prophecy though isn’t it? If enough people think that 26″ wheels are out of date (or even if enough people think that enough other people think this) then they stop buying them and they become out of date.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I would’ve bought a 26 inch bike, but with all the brands more or less dropping these, it seems like I’m buying an outdated bike

Arrrggghhhh!!!!

wrecker
    Free Member

Bronson, Tracer 275?

johanhej
    Free Member

Guess this is sensitive subject…

With all the Eurobike releases, it really seems that they are forcing it upon us. Believe me, I’m not happy about it.

roverpig

With all the Eurobike releases, it really seems that they are forcing it upon us. Believe me, I’m not happy about it.

Then fight back. If you don’t like the move to larger wheels then don’t just accept it. You are the customer. Buy what you like and the manufacturers will have to provide it. Not the other way round.

chakaping
    Free Member

Give the guy a break you miserable ****. He can see what way the wind is blowing and I don’t blame him for looking to the future.

To the OP – Have you thought about buying a decent secondhand 26″ to tide you over until things have settled down a bit?

wilko1999
    Free Member

All smells a teeny-weeny bit troll-y to me! See if you can get in touch with popular STW-er bikeind, he will be able to sort you out a 650b that will bring the trail alive before your very eyes

However, if I were to want a new ‘techy-trail’ 650b and was suitably wedged up, I’d look absolutely no further than a Bronson C

clubber
    Free Member

Not really – I think you misunderstand what that actually means.

What they’d love is if someone was perfectly happy with their 26″ bike with no intention of changing it but because of the 27″ marketing went out and bought a new 27″ bike because it was ‘so much better’.

If they’re already looking at a new bike then choosing 27″ over 26/29 isn’t really the same thing, especially as most brands have gone for it anyway.

I can’t see me replacing any of my bikes any time soon but if say I got an insurance payout to relace one, I’d consider 27″ pretty carefully just because it’s likely to become the standard and therefore make parts availability easier. That said, I could just as easily end up with either a 26 or 29″ bike, given that I don’t really see wheel size as the only dictating factor in how a bike rides.

bigjim

new yeti sb75 looks tasty

fwiw as I tend to keep bikes for a few years, if I was buying now I would probably look away from 26″. Running my own little protest by only buying 26″ isn’t going to change the industry around…

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I have a Nicolai AC 650b,amazing Trail bike, 66.5 HA. 140 or 150mm travel.

I am 6ft 1 and ride a large

toppers3933
    Free Member

the new saracens look pretty cool.

rOcKeTdOg

There’s much more choice in 27.5 or 29, why would the OP limit himself to low end 26″? Not trolling here but there are hardly any top end 26″ bikes available for 2014. That’s just fact & a new bust has to face up to it

Anyway Full bike I’d go Trek EX or Remedy 27.5 if it was my cash

roverpig

Give the guy a break you miserable ****. He can see what way the wind is blowing and I don’t blame him for looking to the future.

Fair point. Apologies to the OP if I sounded aggressive, it’s just that we’ve been over this a few times and I’m getting a bit frustrated I guess.

Of course it’s fair enough to want your new bike to last for a while. But what does that mean? Whatever you buy (26″ or 650b) will last the same amount of time (until you break it or get bored with it). How many of us really change bikes because we can’t get parts for our existing ones? It’s just a non-issue.

A good 26″ bike will still be a good 26″ bike next year and the year after. Where does this fear of being on an outdated bike really come from?

Besides, can you really predict the future? Most of the people who are pronouncing with such certainty have a vested interest one way or another.

If it’s any consolation, whatever you buy you’ll probably love (at least until you get bored with it and start looking for something new).

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

As above, the Bronson is the obvious choice, either carbon or aluminium. Techy trails is what I do and it’s just perfect for them. Should be reasonably readily available now as eh have been out since April

ska-49
    Free Member

Sounds like the Santa Cruz Solo or Bantam. They can both take 130-140mm fork. Alternatively there is the Turner Burner, Kona Process and the new Treks.

johanhej
    Free Member

Thanks to those who are taking me seriously. I’d be perfectly happy with 26 inch wheels, but have to look a little towards the future. While I do realise the 26 inch parts probably will be available in the next years, I’m considering second hand value too.

To the OP – Have you thought about buying a decent secondhand 26″ to tide you over until things have settled down a bit?

I have, but the market is kind of dead in Sweden. Mtb has kind of boomed here, so even second hand market is high.

However, if I were to want a new ‘techy-trail’ 650b and was suitably wedged up, I’d look absolutely no further than a Bronson C

SC bikes will get pretty expensive getting over here :/.

There’s much more choice in 27.5 or 29, why would the OP limit himself to low end 26″? Not trolling here but there are hardly any top end 26″ bikes available for 2014. That’s just fact & a new bust has to face up to it

Anyway Full bike I’d go Trek EX or Remedy 27.5 if it was my cash
    I’ve seen the Remedy and it looks great. Wonder when it will be ready for shipping.

chakaping
    Free Member

Fair point. Apologies to the OP if I sounded aggressive

Wasn’t replying to you specifically. The swear filter turns a plural rude word into what looks like a singular.

😉

(although you do seem to devote more of your time than is healthy to considering MTB wheel sizes, if you don’t mind me saying)

messiah
    Free Member

Since your in Sweden you should check out what the Kingdom Bike guys are up too with the Hex 275 as they are available now

Cube Stereo is another option.

bungalistic
    Free Member

There are one or two frames out there that accept both wheel sizes (i.e. mythic banshee) so you could buy now and have it set up as a 26 then if you decide 27.5 is the way forward you can buy the new bits for it.

Your choice of 27.5 bikes are limited at the minute so you either have to wait a bit longer before they’re out and hope you buy a good one or just suck it up and buy a 26 or 29, then in two years when you’re bored buy something new (or in 6 months time if you’re chakaping) 😛

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m a reformed character now, honest.

I expect it’ll take a while for my reputation to die down though.

(No middle-sized wheels for me anyway)

roverpig

although you do seem to devote more of your time than is healthy to considering MTB wheel sizes, if you don’t mind me saying

Can’t really argue with that 🙂 In my defence, I only tend to obsess about wheel size when I’m not riding. When I’m out on either my 26″ or 29er the size of the wheel hardly ever crosses my mind.

aracer
    Free Member

I’d be perfectly happy with 26 inch wheels, but have to look a little towards the future. While I do realise the 26 inch parts probably will be available in the next years, I’m considering second hand value too.

26″ parts will be available long after you’ve got bored with the bike you’re planning on buying. I doubt it will make a huge difference to s/h value either (if anything the 27″ trend might have died out by the time you come to sell). This isn’t looking to the future in the same way as not buying an analogue TV a few years before the analogue signal was switched off is – I do sometimes wonder if that’s the sort of situation people are getting confused with.

honourablegeorge

I’d say a banshee spitfire is exactly what the OP needs.

mattjg
    Free Member

Turner Burner, Intense Tracer, Rocky Mountain Altitude, the various Santa Cruz are all available now (in the UK). Whyte G-150 is fairly imminent.

In the works are Kona Process, Nukeproof Mega, and presumably a bunch more.

roverpig

26″ parts will be available long after you’ve got bored with the bike you’re planning on buying. I doubt it will make a huge difference to s/h value either (if anything the 27″ trend might have died out by the time you come to sell). This isn’t looking to the future in the same way as not buying an analogue TV a few years before the analogue signal was switched off is – I do sometimes wonder if that’s the sort of situation people are getting confused with.

I can understand the concern about second hand values. Especially if you know that you are the sort of person who changes bikes because you are bored rather than because you’ve ridden them into the ground. But it is pretty much impossible to predict what will happen in a few years and you also have to factor in what it will cost you now. If you end up paying (say) £500 more to buy a 650b now rather than a 26″ bike, will you really get that £500 back when you come to sell it?

Northwind

Mmm, personally the fact that you can’t get any of my preferred tyres in 650b would put me right off. I think there’s finally a dualply or two but none of the ones I like, there’s still no proper hard-use mud tyre or mud spike, no Butcher or Minion…

johanhej
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice. Got some new bikes to keep my eyes on.

I can understand the concern about second hand values. Especially if you know that you are the sort of person who changes bikes because you are bored rather than because you’ve ridden them into the ground. But it is pretty much impossible to predict what will happen in a few years and you also have to factor in what it will cost you now. If you end up paying (say) £500 more to buy a 650b now rather than a 26″ bike, will you really get that £500 back when you come to sell it?

Not that I expect to be changing bikes soon, but this kind of sums up my thinking.

spudnick
    Free Member

just finished building up a saracen kili flyer x frame with fox ctd shock and x fusion velvet fork. ive specced it with full xt drivetrain and brakes, x fusion dropper post and easton haven bars and stem lower priced than saracen were selling there full build with inferior parts. its great and cant fault it it for anything. it climbs and descends better and faster than my blue pig

nick

ajt123
    Free Member

Wow that Hex 275 looks awesome! 🙂

wl
    Free Member

+1 woody2000, but if you must have a 650b coz you’re anxious about being seen as out of date, new Five will be mint and doesn’t look bad value at all to me. Frame-only option available too.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

Saw someone out on a cube stereo650b looked pretty nice. Spoke to the guy riding it, he didn’t have a bad word to say about it.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

Also the spitfire looks ace but I seam to remember availability being an issue if op wants it now.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Personally I don’t see what the second hand value if a bike has got to do with purchasing the right bike for your riding? Who can guarantee the second hand value of a bike?

MussEd
    Free Member

FFS why are folk so down on OTHER people’s bike choices? The OP wants a 27.5″ bike. Who’s business is it but his why? Either recommend a bike based on his original post (as others have above) or move along… If people remain unconvinced about bigger wheels so be it, but I’m not sure there’s any need to piss in other folks soup…

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Agreed don’t care about the wheel size. When I need a replacement for my Zesty it will be with just another Zesty whatever the wheel size. Buy the bike you want and go ride there is no ‘right’ solution.

gaz552
    Free Member

Something like the Norco Sight Killer-B might be a good option for the OP.

I do really like the look of that Yeti SB75, but then I thought the SB66 was a great looking bike too. Expensive though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘27.5 for techy trail. Available options?’ is closed to new replies.